Software
Houzz Logo Print
erica_huggins

Backsplash help

9 years ago

I'm having a hard time deciding on a backsplash. Our cabinets are white. Granite is a beige color with black, white and brown specs. I initially thought a cream stone would look good but I'm having a really hard time matching up the shade of beige as everything seems to be more orange than yellow. I was thinking maybe a white subway tile which really isn't even my thing but I think it would probably be too much white. So now I'm thinking brushed aluminum or stainless steel might work since we have all steel appliances and the steel farm sink. We're also going with black cabinet pulls and black caged pendant lights with Edison bulbs. I'm going for a sort of rustic industrial look with some feminine touches. Just a little worried that the steel backsplash may be a little too modern/industrial. We're going to have reclaimed wood in the front of the island and then a bar to the right of the end of the cabinets with reclaimed wood shelves. Anyone have any feedback or other ideas?

Comments (19)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    kitchen sounds gorge! anyway you could post a pic of the granite? steel might not be the best choice. how about natural stone or a type of glass. I would remove that 4" piece tho.MOP

    Frosty Morning

    a glass tile ..these are 2x16, but they come in 2x8 and 4x12 as well

    color is sand

    and also polished

    ash gray

  • 9 years ago

    Yea so here is a better shot of the granite and the sink too. I'm just worried with the cream color that it would need to match exactly the granite main color or it will bother me that it's off. The granite is kinda busy.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    oh ok, i've see that granite. that sand color above all match. tilebar.com will send you a bunch of samples for 5 bucks. the ones I've chosen aren't that expensive. look through their selections and get the samples. i have at least 20 of them that I ordered!

    this one matches your colors.

    People will say to "just do a plain subway because the granite" is busy, blah blah. seems like that's the go-to choice for any countertop w/movement. It's not a rule.

    if you don't like the subway (and seriously, it's so common now) , then look around for the colors in your stone w/the backsplash.

    this one above is neutral and sedate enough so it won't compete.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    With the hardware and light fixtures you describe, I think white subway tile with dark grout would look good.

  • 9 years ago

    How about a gray tile?

    Taylors Drive Residence · More Info
    kitchen and baths · More Info
    Traditional Kitchen · More Info

    Modern Chalet - North Vancouver Design & Renovation · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Darker gray back splash. Counters look similar to yours.

    White Subway Tile Backsplash With White Cabinets · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    Honestly my advice would be don't even try right now. I obsessed over backsplash all through my remodel only to find that it was really impossible to make a good selection until ALL other elements - including and especially lighting - were in. And then once they were, I was instantly able to eliminate almost everything I had been dragging in and out of the space for months. So much time wasted!! Your room will totally change once the elements you named are in. So IMO you should try to relax and just wait :). I know it's hard! Your kitchen sounds like it will be amazing and I love your granite.
  • 9 years ago

    Totally agree with Iwfromny. its surprising how even one new element, once in place, can help with the direction you need to take.

  • 9 years ago
    How about subway tiles with some accent like attached pictures?
  • 9 years ago

    I can see a beige glass subway back splash with white grout. I think it is excellent advice to wait and live in it awhile before making a decision. Pics look beautiful.

  • 9 years ago
    Our kitchen is similar in color and I picked a nice cream/beige glass tile, it was very neutral and I think a glass tile would work great for you as well. They have so many options in glass to choose from, I would recommend looking at it in different lighting when choosing since at night the tile will appear different.
  • 9 years ago

    Can you remove the 4" backsplash you have now? I am not sure how it will look with the new tile

  • 9 years ago

    I think I will take the advice to wait. This is a new build and I am antsy top customize it even more after 6 months of waiting but I agree that every time I've seen it with something added it looks different. We just got electricity/lights and that made a big difference, and I have a feeling the pendant lights and the hardware will change the look a lot too. I'll have to come back and see what y'all think of my selections once it's done and I have gotten some samples!

  • 9 years ago
    I would like to see a bit of color -- maybe glass block? I have a blue one in my idea book but I don't know how to transfer it here, sorry!
  • 9 years ago

    SO HARD to be patient but it will pay off!! Good for you :).

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Susan- to transfer photos from your idea book, see below the comment area where it says Houzz Photo when you are typing a comment. Hit on that. It will then take you to your idea books. Just hit on the photo you want to share and it should appear on the right. Hit INSERT underneath the photo and it will show up here.

  • 9 years ago

    Wait! Trust me don't make a decision right yet. As for me, I don't like busy backsplash with busy countertop. You don't want to take away from the countertop. Solid neutral color would be best. Especially, with the look you are going for.


  • 9 years ago
    I would use some color