Software
Houzz Logo Print
sahana_jayakumar

Please help with my living area!!!!

9 years ago

Hi all,

This is how my living and dining area look now. I know something is missing but not sure what to add above the fireplace and in the center wall. Please give me suggestions on how to make these two spaces more appealing.

Comments (12)

  • 9 years ago

    I'd like to see your rug turned the opposite way. Then put one red chair on the wall under where the picture is currently hung (both chairs will probably now be on the rug). This will leave more space in front of the fireplace. If you feel this is too much space, two small seat size ottomans would be cute. Does the picture fit above the fireplace? I'd like to see it there so you have the fireplace as the focal point. A couple lamps would help fill what you might feel is missing, also perhaps valances. Also, find a couple table books for the coffee table and move your candleholders to that table for height. I like your mirror in the dining room, but think the sconces either need to be moved closer or something bigger than the mirror needs to be there, or it needs to be anchored with a wood buffet or heavy floating shelf. You have a great color scheme going and some great pieces.

    Sa Ja thanked cindyberger
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you cindyberger for taking the time to give me sugesstions. I made few changes like you mentioned and have to shop for lamps and ottoman. How about this pic near the dining table. Also I moved the mirror to the opposite wall and am thinking of adding smaller mirrors or something decorative. Please let me know what you think.

  • 9 years ago

    Wow, that was quick!!! I do have one suggestion, I would pull the sofa off the wall some and put it partially on the rug scooting the coffee table more to the middle of the rug and adjusting the chairs. Yes, I do like the that picture better for the dining room. Be sure and bring something lighter in color to the coffee table.

    Sa Ja thanked cindyberger
  • 9 years ago


    Hexagonal Accent Table - 17383375 - Overstock.com Shopping - Great Deals on J Hu · More Info

    3-Legged Floor Lamp by Ore International at Gilt · More Info

    Table Lamps | HomeDecorators.com · More Info

    Sa Ja thanked havingfun
  • 9 years ago
    Nice chairs! They make a statement. I think the rug isn't right though, the colour looks muddy, and too traditional. I think you need a more contemporary rug.
    Hand Tufted Bengal Collection, Gold/Beige Contemporary Rug · More Info


    I also think the wall in the dining room (the wall with the sconces) would look fantastic with some wallpaper.
    Sa Ja thanked MarleneM
  • 9 years ago
    Lovely room, great chairs. Not sure about rug. Grasscloth would look good on wall with sconces
    Sa Ja thanked Irene Morresey
  • 9 years ago
    Can you move the rug to under the dining table? And remove the wispy thing in the corner. Then find a more lively rug for the living area.
    Sa Ja thanked Moxiemom
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The red slipper chairs are quite lovely but not separated. Keep them together. I preferred where you had them originally but not angled. They were a nice division from the dining room and living room.

    I would get a console for under the painting.:) Also you have beautiful carpeting so you don't need the brown area rug. It's too small and only makes your living room look smaller by defining the area with it. Take the carpet away and you will see that it will open up the whole area.:)

    Sa Ja thanked Mark
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks everybody for taking the time to help me out. I will make few changes suggested here and will see how things turn out.


    We recently moved, so tight on budget. Any place where we can get budget friendly rugs/lamps/consoles?

  • 9 years ago

    did you like what i put up? be sure to check prices on them. I always search for budget wise. that standing lamp took forever too find. tell me why you do not like and i will shop for you.

    Sa Ja thanked havingfun
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you havingfun for helping me out. yes, I liked everything you have put out. Will be shopping around in few weeks and I will definitely come back to this one.