Software
Houzz Logo Print
anncgavin

Help with lamps & art behind new sofa

9 years ago

I recently completed a remodel and bought a new family room sofa. I kept my Karastan rug and am going for an updated traditional look. I have ordered a medium gray leather chair for opposite the sofa. The lamps are from Home Goods and need to be painted a different color (charcoal?) or replaced. The picture is an original I bought at the Salvation Army. The colors go well with the rug but besides being hung in the wall, if it stays, it needs a new frame, but not sure what kind or color. I've looked for a more modern piece of art, but haven't found anything I like. Thanks for your help! I'm including photos of the TV wall in the same room and photos of adjoining rooms so you have a feeling for my style.

Comments (22)

  • 9 years ago

    You have a lovely home. I'd keep the lamps and spray paint the base the salmon color (doesn't have to be exact) of the pillow. For the art frame, I'd spray paint it black and keep the art.

  • 9 years ago

    Love your rug!

  • 9 years ago
    This is hopefully a better photo of the wall behind my new sofa.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I like your repeat of black pendants, black frames, black counter.... but the black [?] lamps don't do it for me. You have several art pieces, and maybe could use this one nearby, but I wish for a rectangular one with even more impact/ as Darzy said about repeating the terra/salmon...

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I meant of the 2 'sister pieces' in DR - why not this one to replace one by DR window?

  • 9 years ago

    To increase the impact/ the look - what if the lamps were also spread out more? table there?

  • 9 years ago

    To me, the lamps look too large.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    36x48, acrylic on canvas

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Lovely room! I'd make the art frame the same finish as your wall sconces around the fireplace (looks like gold/brass). To me, lamps look good as they are.
  • 9 years ago

    To me it looks like you're trying too hard to make that rug look like it matches something (which it doesn't) by putting those solid colored pillows on that couch. The pattern in that rug needs to be toned down, I would do so by putting another solid colored rug on top of it so you only see the parameter of that area rug. Then I would remove that ottoman and get a coffee table. I would get a bigger piece of art to hang on the wall behind the couch. And I would get patterned throw pillows for the couch.

  • 9 years ago

    I LOVE that rug! But the space doesn't look functional to me. I would shift the ottoman to the side and replace it with a coffee table and an end table.

  • 9 years ago

    The rug looks a little too large for the room. See how it is crowding the wall right of the sofa? I'm with Beverly on the art - it is too small. You can go as wide as 75% of the sofa's width and be OK. Consider a simple arc floor lamp in the corner that will hover over a coffee table.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm trying for 'matching colors' instead of the rug's style.... $88.

    'Coral Composition' Canvas Art by Sheila Golden · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Or art with a strong striking subject [one was called A Peasant Burning Weeds]...art with your choice of heart and that won't cause clash-of-colors with rug...

  • 9 years ago
    What about something like this?
  • 9 years ago
    A reclaimed wooden tray with a little personality would look great on the ottoman. Square or rectangular. And I think I would do silver lamps or maybe a warm brass? Would you consider a floor lamp?
  • 9 years ago
    Sorry... My mockup is not very good! The print is considerably bigger (34x44), which I think would fill your wall nicely, and partly why I'm suggesting a floor lamp. Buffet lamps, as Beverly suggested, would also work.
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/further-woodland-print/s661548
  • 9 years ago

    Floor lamp in the right corner, sth that hangs over and above. Put a beautiful vase and some candlesticks on the table behind the sofa, on each side, and a bigger maybe slightly more dramatic piece of artwork. I love the carpet, I wouldn't change that, but you could put a throw on the sofa that matches the carpet in Salmon, but be careful of going too "pink". Lovely space.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Heather Garrett Design · More Info

    I agree with Beverly’s inspiration photo. The lamps, as positioned are two big and too close together. I would do floor lamps, too.

    Home Good lamps are great…use them in another spot.

  • 6 years ago

    WickedWhite I lost track of comments. I love the art you shared but you didn’t include the source. If you see this post, can you advise? I bought another bold modern print (Navy) but it looks like it’s trying too hard to march the rug. Thx!

  • 6 years ago

    WickedWhite i found your post for the Crate & Barrel print. I actually saw that in the store recently and loved it. I bought this piece of art above my sofa to try to tie in the rug, but I’m not crazy about it. I haven’t yet changed my lamps, bought a neutral rug to cover most of the patterned one or purchased a coffee table.