Software
Houzz Logo Print
tamicolston

Please help me with my lake house walls and ceiling

13 years ago
I am building a lake house and I have pine walls and ceiling. I intended to whitewash the walls but I can't find a way to do it that does not look chalky or raise the grain. I ordered flooring that was supposed to be a reclaimed cherry with worm holes, some black pigment and hand scraped. It has started going down and looks nothing like the sample I was given. It is mostly clear cherry. I am going forward with the floor anyway but I have to come to a decision about the walls and ceiling. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching some photos of the walls where the wood is already going down and a picture of the outside so you can get a feel for what the house is. Thank you houzers!

Comments (25)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Depending on your location, paint stores sell white glazing liquid. It is an oil based product and will not get chalky or raise the grain (water raises wood grain). You will need to coat over the glaze as it is soft for an oil paint product. A waterborne urethane will stay clear and not yellow over your glazing. Let us know how it goes!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks. I have tried sherwin Williams and it is chalky. I am looking at sikkens. I am in georgia. What product would you suggest?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Porter Paints or ICI Paints. I think Porter is based in Georgia and they are owned by ICI.
  • 13 years ago
    Sarah Richardson did a show with her cottage where she whitewashed pine and it turned out great. Sorry you would have to research which products she used, but here a few photos...
    She has a lone with Para, but doubt they are wood products. Lots of people here in Canada use Sikkens. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    Yes she did and that is what I want. I have tried to find out, emailed, rewatched those episodes, no luck. Thank you for the suggestion. I love her work.
  • 13 years ago
    I will order the sikkens and try porter paints too. Thank you both
  • 13 years ago
    I love the walls! Maybe add a coat of cherry stain or gloss.
  • 13 years ago
    Good luck with the walls. No experience with whitewashing but, the finished product will be stunning. I think that your floors are beautiful. What are you planning as far as furnishings? Cottage style? I too, love Sarah Richardson's taste. Clean and comfortable. Congratulations on your new home. Keep the pictures coming!
  • 13 years ago
    I am going cottage style. Yes. I want to mimick the feel of Sarah's lake house. I have some wonderful old pieces to mix in with some new. I am usining an old pine lazy susan table that is about 4" thick in the dining room with the most wonderful heart grain you have ever seen. I intend to put slip covered parson's chairs around it. I have an old butcher block from a slaughter house to use as an island in the kitchen. Cabinets are going to be black distressed on bottom and glazed maple on top with soapstone counters. I am making lined drapes out of painter's drop cloths with a fabric accent in a red toile. Hope that gives you a mental image. Thanks for posting. Tami
  • 13 years ago
    Would anyone do something other than whitewash?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think the white wash is the best option !! It will look lovely - we have a lot of rooms like that - wouldn't have it any other way ! So cosy in winter and chilled out in summer !
  • 13 years ago
    Lovely cabin!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Ok - just to be controversial but another opinion, I would paint in in either water/oil based glaze. Don't be frightened, the wash finishes are insipid and lack real definition. I would paint strong gray/ chalk , whilst I agree with oneplan above try to take a direct/definitive approach. In the UK we use Farrow & Ball paints they have inspired traditional colours that evoke a certain time. Don't hesitate .
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks. You know how it is with so many decisions to make. I feel a bit overwhelmed. Thanks for the encouragement
  • 13 years ago
    Is the water or oil based glaze going to allow the grain to show? I am not familiar with this. I like the grey too. Are you suggesting doing grey I throughout the house, ceilings and all?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    With the dark wood , Yes pale silvers/ greys . Lake House dont have to be something from Deliverance! The can be chic and smart as well as functional. Grain marks should through , keep the entire house on one scheme , for reference look at my beach house, this was all inexpensive , store bought products.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Might be an idea to get some ideas written down for each room - or files on pc if you are more happy that way - try to work ideas out for one room at a time but with an underlying theme - like with underlying grey neutral colour base !
    It's daunting to try and do everything at once - but if you break it up into smaller more manageable pieces that will help. Alternatively hire a pro to guide you through - theres loads on here - look on 'find a pro in my area' tab - or choose someone who works remotely (like me! Blatant plug - sorry !!) looks a fab project !!
  • 13 years ago
    The chic and smart sounds good to me. I don't care for dueling banjos either :)!!! I will experiment with some greys this afternoon. Thank you. Also, thank you, One Plan, for the advice on breaking this down into a small pieces. It is easy to get overwhelmed.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I'm not familiar with whitewash. I just love it the way your cabin looks right now.
  • 11 years ago
    This looks great as it is. Just add your furnishings. This room already has a lot of character. Don't mess up your walls and floors.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    That's exactly my opinion too. It looks absolutely great as is. And just add furniture as says Sonja.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks to you all. But I finished the project last year. I used the porter paints suggestion and had it tinted slightly white. It worked out perfectly. That is an awesome product. We were able to spray it on and it did not raise the grain. I am attaching a picture
  • 11 years ago
    The kitchen
  • 11 years ago
    Absolutely wonderful lake house! So many naysayers re short backsplashes, in this case it fits perfectly. Congratulations and thanks for the followup.
    Tami Colston thanked flopsycat1