Software
Houzz Logo Print
colefam93

What to do with this mantle

9 years ago
We just had our family room painted (revere pewter) and I would love some ideas of how to decorate our mantle. I like neutral colors and botanical art. Any help is appreciated!

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I totally agree the surround does not work , get a reclaimed wood piece for a mantel if you must have one. IMO a piece of art on the stone is all you need

  • 9 years ago

    I would like to recommend painting the fireplace surround to unify it with the stone more. What are your thoughts ?

  • 9 years ago

    Mark, have you been in hiding?

  • 9 years ago
    I appreciate the feedback! I was hoping to just put up a big piece of art and call it a day
  • 9 years ago
    I realize I will probably have to do something more significant at some point; I am intrigued by the idea of painting the surround though.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Love Mark's idea. I would also eliminate the iron artwork to the right and just go on finding art you love for the mantel.

  • 9 years ago

    Ruining stone with paint does not formalize it to harmonize with that mantle. You need to pick one or the other style direction, and eliminate the clash. Either the stone, or the white mantle surround has to go. Then a big piece of art.

  • 9 years ago
    What color what would you suggest I paint the mantle? Also any suggestions on shape and size of the art work? Thank you thank you!!!
  • 9 years ago

    Sophie Wheeler if you are referring to my comment I did not suggest painting the stone at all. The mantle does look better painted.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm happy to suggest a size for art, but honestly, this is the prime spot in the room, so you should pick something you really love to be the star. If you aren't sure of your taste, go to one of the large online art sources and page through the botanicals and similar (landscapes? abstracts?) to find something that clicks.

  • 9 years ago

    I don't see your stone as being rustic, nor do I think the mantel is too formal. If the wall was done in fieldstone or some other large, irregularly-shaped stone and the surround had fluted pilasters, dentil or egg and dart molding and/or cherubs, then I'd be concerned.

  • 9 years ago

    While I think a wood beam would look better, I don't the current mantel is bad and I don't think it is worth changing at this time. But it is way too bright white. I agree that painting it would be a big improvement. And a big piece of art will help, too - I really like acm's suggestions.

  • 9 years ago
    I agree painting the mantel area is a good idea to try before extending time and expense into something else. How about considering a gray color i.e.: 2 shades darker (in a satin or semi-glass sheen) than the walls if those are the tones in other areas of your space?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I agree with bizideas. Paint mantel 2 shades darker than Revere Pewter in a satin/semigloss and find something botanical to be the star of the room.

  • 9 years ago

    carriebear28....my 2 cents...take it or leave it. I would remove the mantel if underneath is the stone and put it a nice big beam. If the mantel is easily removed without hurting the stone underneath, then you are not looking at a lot of money. The mantel, even if painted doesn't fit the stone look. I think because it is in the center of attention, it calls out for fixing.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz