Software
Houzz Logo Print
joanheath

Help! I need to.improve curb appeal!

9 years ago
  1. I really need some help to improve curb appeal on this ranch bungalow. We just purchased this
    nd want to improve the outside. The brick is 50 years old and I really don't fancy the red. Do I cover it, or paint it? Do we incorporate another colour like black? I really don't like the two white gable ends and feel they should be a different colour.
  2. We were thinking of a flat stucco on top and stone work on the bottom half. If so, what colour?
  3. Your. Input is great,y appreciated

Comments (12)

  • 9 years ago

    Can you post a pic of the front of the house?

    joanheath thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 9 years ago

    I assume that's the garage door? My opinion is that once you paint brick -- there's no going back. "Embrace" the brick. Play off of it. The white with brick is very strong and plays against the brick. Try a warmer color, even a warm beige or light caramel. Then throw a beautiful, fun, contrasting color that you can live with (!!) on that garage door. If you are going warm caramel instead of white (for example), try a goldenrod-sort of color. Maybe throw that same color on the front door and then circle back with a trim color or accent color of red, ie: red flowers in pots or garden; red decor items at the door and garage...splashes of brightness will really help. Good luck. Let us know how this goes for you.

    joanheath thanked jl10dm
  • 9 years ago

    Jl10dm thank you for your suggestions. Yes I will repost the changes we make.

  • 9 years ago

    Lindsay, I really like the charcoal idea however, how do I tone down the white windows? Don't think I want to paint whit vinyl window frames.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The biggest problem with your curb appeal I see is the driveway and no landscaping in front of the garage area. Is it possible to put a bed of evergreens in front of that long garage wall? Or pots with evergreens in them? The maybe in the Spring, add additional features on that wall to break up all the brick look, like a climbing jasmine or something like that. The trim color I would use is black and get new exterior black lighting along with new front door in glossy black. But, truthfully hard to give much advice with only that one picture. Just kind of shooting some ideas at you for now. I would actually also paint the garage door the same color as the brick so it disappears somewhat.

    joanheath thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Greenwood Village Residence · More Info
    black with white windows.

    joanheath thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You might be able to add some brick pillars with lights on top at the top of the driveway or in front of garage area to add some interest to the exterior as well. Notice how they very effectively did this on the front of this home.

    joanheath thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Richmond Renovation · More Info
    Black with the white and slate on the porch. Some trim in slate or perhaps some driveway edging in a slate like paver might add some interest. The idea is to distract the eye from the things you don't like to new elements that are interesting and refine the home a bit.

    joanheath thanked Flo Mangan
  • 9 years ago

    Flo, thanks for your ideas I agree the previous owner had no landscaping. We will certainly add some greenery and improve that area. Currently I only have that one front picture from that angle. I will add more when I can. I also like the idea to paint garage doors. As we will be building a new garage, I will have to decide what colour the new building and garage doors will be I would like the new building to tie into the house colours.

    I was thinking of adding maybe some stonework and also maybe a centre gable roof in between the two small current gable roofs. I would like to modernize the entranceway


  • 9 years ago

    What about doing something like this over the front entrance?



  • 9 years ago

    Grapefruit_ar here are the front photos as requested.