Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_805462

Need help deciding on kitchen cabinet color please

We are redoing our kitchen, and we need to decide on the kitchen cabinet color. The cabinets are a wood textured melamine. The whole floor is an open square -- about 700 square feet, and in it is our kitchen, dining and living areas. The main entrance to our house is here too. The walls are white and the floor is a dark grey brown. I am hoping to do a marble (or marble look-alike) for the counters. I am wondering if dark grey cabinets would be cool looking or too glaring a contrast to the rest of the white walls in this small open space, especially since we will have a wall of floor to ceiling cabinets in the kitchen. Will that corner of the room look to heavy if the cabinets are dark? As you enter the house, the kitchen is straight ahead, taking up the left back corner of the room (the entrance being the front left corner). The dining area is in the right back corner, and the living area is the right front corner.

Thank you, thank you for all your input!!! I am posting cabinet plans, and room pictures and cabinet sample pictures (from light to dark grey). I know colors are not match perfect on computers, but I hope you get the idea. Again, thank you for your advice and help here!

Comments (13)

• Sunnysmom
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I like contrast so I would pick the 2nd one, darker gray. I don't think it will be to dark, especially if you turn the lights on.

• Terri_PacNW
    7 years ago

Is that the same flooring in your current kitchen?

I love the new grey stains going on right now, but if that is your true floor, definately the darkest option. :) It needs the contrast.

• mlg32
    7 years ago

I like the first white color, but the 2nd darker one looks nice too. The other 2 blend to well IMO.

• herbflavor
    7 years ago

I would work with the 2nd sample[darkest]..but mix in some smooth light maple into your plan. Perhaps maple island and window wall.... then dark over on fridge wall: or vice versa . I prefer the dark sample with your floor as the others are not pronounced due to their similarity with floor. So with the thought about light maple----the different grain[smooth] and lighter tone would be great with the dark.....in some way doing two toned space. For choosing one of your samples for an all over pick, I would think about the dark one still, but with a light counter which possesses a lot of movement and some metallic sheen or something with more brilliance/life than marble-esque. The floor has some lighter tan shading which I really like....you may just prefer the gray options.... but I see light woods working...with the gray I would try for some sort of contrast...had you thought of two-tone? Great space to work with,must say.

• Judith Stambler Marshall
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you three for your quick responses! I really like that dark color too...I just wonder if it's too dark compared with the rest of the room...I am very indecisive! Such an annoying trait. I will post more pictures tomorrow of the whole room (mess and all!) to show you all my concern. Oh, and yes, this is the color of my floor now and we are keeping the flooring. Thank you all again!

Original Author
    7 years ago

herbflavor, I just saw your (very thoughtful) comments - thank you! The only two tone I had thought of was to make the island different than the rest of the cabinetry. Really interesting thought of making it two toned. I will post more pictures tomorrow to show you more of the whole room. Thank you again! Ok, must to bed because I could spend all night on here if I'm not careful!

• smm5525
    7 years ago

1 or 2 works best with the floor

• beachem
    7 years ago

#2 is my choice. I love the gray.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

I like the 2nd option as well.

On a side note, generally you don't want the dishwasher between the sink and cooktop, can you put it on the left instead?

• kateskouros
    7 years ago

hi there. do you have an image of an inspiration kitchen? i really would need to see what you're after as a finish. it's a mistake to go into a project like this making selections one at a time. you should put it all together first in your head and then collect all the materials to view together using the inspiration pic (or pics) as your guide. my apologies if you've done this already, but i just hopped on these boards recently after an extended absence, so i'm not familiar with your project.

what does the rest of your house look like and when was it built? since this is a remodel you need to be mindful that your vision for the kitchen will work with the rest of the house. i can't wait to see how this evolves, so please post back!

Original Author
    7 years ago

thank you...Annette, why no for the dishwasher between the sink and the range? Kate, I have a bunch of inspiration pictures. Our house is a split level and was built in 1990, but it almost felt 70's to me when we moved in (3 years ago). We removed both walls dividing the kitchen from the rest of the space on the main floor. It is now one open squarish room. It has an 11-foot ceiling at its peak, with a beam running down the middle of the peak. White walls, white ceiling, dark grey-brown wood floors. This is our main common space room. I would say our vision is clean lines, warm Scandinavian, beach/industrial. Right now our room feels very cold to me. I would like to bring in some warmth (literally and figuratively). We live in a beach town, but not in a beach house. But the beach is part of my inspiration, I was hoping for a driftwood look to the cabinets, but I think the lighter grey is looking a bit washed out. As much as I love the darker grey, I am still thinking it might be too big of a contrast to the rest of the room. Right now, the cabinets are all that brown color, and the room definitely looks rather heavy in the kitchen corner. Then again, the dark grey could make a nice statement.

• Briana Johnson
    7 years ago

My choice would be the lightest color. I like how they all have a visual texture that goes well with the visual texture of your floor. What about doing most of it in the lightest color, and selecting an area to do something special in the dark grey? Maybe the island in the dark grey...everything else in the lightest color...

• User
    7 years ago

I feel the opposite. The floor is so heavily grained that I would not use a cabinet with a grain. While it photographs dark and solid in the kitchen photo, the close-up is very striped. The floor also has a pinkish cast. Has the floor ever been refinished? I would consider having it refinished a darker color to tap down the grain.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville