Software
Houzz Logo Print
mawizz

Thoughts on this hardware with this cabinet door?

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

What are your thoughts on this hardware with this cabinet door? you'll have to click on pic for some reason it got all scrunched up uploading

Comments (27)

  • 9 years ago

    You are going to get 20 replies telling you that the ends catch and pull on pockets. I have these pulls and have never had such issue. Maybe it's due to height or how big ones pockets are ;)

    I personally love these pulls. Good luck!

    MaWizz thanked Melissa Johnson
  • 9 years ago

    Johnsoro25 that's funny I was not expecting that feedback lol :D

  • 9 years ago

    Sarahsocal- That photo is hilarious!!

  • 9 years ago

    Let me be clear on another point. He is also the reason that the corner cabinet door is open. He learned that if he hooks his paws over the handle and then sort of leans his body weight the door will swing open. He has it down to an art form and will come running into the kitchen, grab the handle, swing the door open, and run into the cabinet without even a pause!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hysterical and SO cat-like! Black cats are devils - I've had one!

  • 9 years ago

    OMG sarah I laughed out loud when I saw that and my DH said what's so funny? I had to share the pic :) That's so cute ...maybe not to you hee hee :) pretty kitchen! I do like that hardware thanks for the pic. How did you decide size. I've seen really really long bar hardware as well that's looks pretty cool.

  • 9 years ago

    My, that is so amazing but typical! I have a black cat named Harley Catfish (there's a story behind that!). What is your moggy's name?

  • 9 years ago

    For sizing, I chose one size for all my upper cabs, then did approximately 1/3rd the width of bottom doors and drawers. I placed on the top rail for doors and in the middle for drawers. Here are some photos.


    MaWizz thanked Melissa Johnson
  • 9 years ago

    The handles look great with that door and that bit of marble.

    As for cats using them for handles, it doesn't matter: I'm 100% certain that if that cat were not provided with a convenient stepping stool, he could jump to the counter top.

    When our oldest was a toddler and began bedeviling our elderly cat with unwanted affections, he started disappearing -- we'd search high and low and could not find the creature! One day I caught him: he was stealthily jumping on the kitchen countertop and scooting behind the microwave (which was set an an angle in the corner of our L-shaped kitchen). I begged him not to do that, saying, "Kitty cat, stay out of behind the microwave! That's where the cancer hides!" But he didn't care. Aside from that one time, I never saw him jump up /down from the counter. I put some empty boxes back there to prevent him from using that hiding space, and I saw evidence he'd tried to push the boxes aside ... and I provided him with a basket up high in the laundry closet, where he could hide.


    MaWizz thanked mrspete
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think they look great! I wanted that style pull but allowed myself to be talked out of it by the worry of clothes getting caught on them. That was the first thing my husband said, then I searched the forum here and saw that a lot of people do have that problem. (many don't) So I guess I'm the first saying that clothes will get caught on them. I'm not sure I would have cared if not for my husband objecting. (I have to let him have SOME say in the kitchen design)


    I ended up going with these. Badergal has them installed and I thought they gave me a similar look to the ones you showed without the catching on clothes thing. My cabinets are the same as yours only white and I got these pulls in oil rubbed bronze - so basically the same thing but reversed colors, but I haven't installed them yet.

    128mm Greenwich Stainless Steel Cabinet Pull, BPP3371-SS · More Info

    I'm not trying to talk you out of your pulls. I think they are beautiful! (and popular so clearly lots of people love them and don't have a problem with clothes getting caught) I just wanted to give you another option.

    MaWizz thanked Megan
  • 9 years ago

    sorry to hijack the thread but johnsoro25 and sarahsocal I see you put your pulls in similar but not quite identical locations. I'm currently debating. My original plan was more like sarahsocal - pulls in the center of drawers and vertical on the doors. I ran into a problem with the trash drawer though. It pulls out like a drawer but looks like a door. So I was thinking of putting the pull on the top rail like johnsoro25 for that, but would that look weird if I have my other bottom doors with vertical pulls? johnsoro25 - yours look good and I think it's because you have two types - horizontal on the rail and horizontal in the middle. I'm thinking of having three types vertical, horizonal on the middle and only one that is horizontal on the rail.


    sarasocal - do you have a trash or appliance type drawer on the bottom? if so how did you position your pull?

  • 9 years ago

    Megan- I completely remember having that same problem. I have 2 DW on either side of the sink and full size trash pullout as well, so I couldn't go vertical with all three of those. I then decided to do all vertical above the counter, all horizontal below the counter- even for doors like the sink base. Made sense in my mind at the time ;) No complaints yet. Best news is- there is no wrong answer.

    MaWizz thanked Melissa Johnson
  • 9 years ago

    For me the handle is a bit more modern than the door design in that color. Hardware's always tough to choose.

    MaWizz thanked dan1888
  • 9 years ago

    At the risk of sounding rude, I think those pulls are overdone. Find a a similar pull that isn't a bar pull and you'll be more current and they'll look better with your cabs.

    p.s. I did put these pulls in my main floor bath before I felt this way. : - )

    (If you've seen Flip or Flop on HGTV, you'll know what I mean. EVERY single kitchen they flip, gets these pulls.)

    MaWizz thanked ck_squared
  • 9 years ago

    In my house, cats will get on the counter whenever they choose, by any means possible. I almost wish I had the kind of handles that a cat might use to open the cabinets. It would eliminate the wear and tear from claws grabbing the upper edge of my painted cabinets as Zephyr walks backwards to open the doors. It's the only sign of wear on my painted cabs. Their only match is a cat.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Johnsoro thanks for pics and sizing... makes sense how you did yours.

    thanks mrs pete just a basic starting point not really sure how crazy I want to get?

    Megan thanks for that pic that is really a nice similiar look I'll see if I can find in badgergals kitchen.

    dan what would you suggest? Your leaving me hanging :)

    ck your not being rude I've read many many comments on here where people have no couth when giving feedback...it says a lot about them. Little do they know it's all in the presentation :) btw you were not rude. So what would you suggest? Pics help

  • 9 years ago

    Dan i just googled "current" kitchen hardware and that was the first one that popped up lol must not be too old ;) please share pics of what you think

  • 9 years ago

    Ck, I didn't make my kitchen decisions based on what Christina on Flip/flop does or does not do. I'm not sure anyone really should ;) I do love her handbags though!

  • 9 years ago

    I actually inherited this hardware when we bought our place. I probably would have chosen differently but have been too lazy thus far. It is fine but I agree that you do see it EVERYWHERE.

    Here is a pic of our trash pull out:


    Pics · More Info

    And since you all liked the first one so much, another shot:

    We had to put the ladder away . . .

    MaWizz thanked sarahsocal
  • 9 years ago

    No cats here but that is too cute. Sarah curious if you had not inherited what you would chose?

  • 9 years ago

    Sarah, your cat is adorable. But your counters are stunning. Love them!!

  • 9 years ago

    Here's 1 that works for these drawers and could work for doors.


    Varde hardware This type of design is available from other retailers including HD.

    MaWizz thanked dan1888
  • 9 years ago

    mawizz - I think they're too big. That said, what are the pulls in your inspiration pictures with similar cabinet doors?

    MaWizz thanked oldbat2be
  • 9 years ago

    No unique input on pulls. However, on the black cat front, mine has learned to jump the counter, open the lid to the Keurig water container, and splash water across the countertop with her paw.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Thanks dan I don't mind those I guess I wanted to step toward a little more contemporary.

    oldbat I'm not sure how big they should be quite honestly? And sadly I really don't have just one inspiration pic. But rather several...oh dear. But with that said most do have the bar pulls and yes on similiar doors/drawers. btw seeing your name reminded me to go back to your pantry thread that I'm still dreaming about :)

  • 9 years ago

    MaWizz - post the several inspiration pictures (if you wish), for us to see. Do they have darker doors with the stainless (?) handles? Your cabinet door is beautiful, I was just wondering how the contrast would look.

    Can you post a layout?

    I don't like the long pull vertically here:

    Jane Lockhart, Kitchen Dark Cabinetry · More Info


    This is a thought (but maybe I just love the cabinetry!).


    Sleek Home in Oakville (1206) · More Info

    Shorter pulls:

    Stainless Steel Range · More Info

    IMO, these are way too long:


    Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

    The good part is that you can order pulls and stick them on with double-sided sticky tape, and see how they will look, once the doors are up.


Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio