Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbugg1

Do you see any possible issues in these photos?

Robert Bugg
7 years ago

Can you believe this? My 75-90 day remodeling project is only 5 weeks away from its second anniversary.

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Why is there a gap behind the sink/vanity?

• Robert Bugg
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That was a design decision because the Japan Marine tile from Porcelonsa is a major focal point. The vanity floats off the back wall and the floor

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It's ridiculous to have to insert a mop like a swizzle stick between the back of the counter and the wall to get to some inaccessible place to clean, or mop up water overflow. Major idiotic FAIL.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

what in the world? lets see a pic from the front. isn't the whole point of tiling behind the vanity is to contain water splashing?? where does it go now? bigger pic please

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

Like a Rorschach test? I think I see a unicorn. Seriously, what are we looking for?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Apparently many architects disagree with Sophie. I've seen plenty of tile walls uninterrupted by countertops that were mounted with space on all sides in commercial applications; the men's room at a new McDonald's comes to mind. I like the look.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

I could need a seeing eye dog, but it appears YOUR FAUCET IS NOT PERFECTLY CENTERED ON THE SINK? Nor is the sink set "square" . Just tell me the pass /fail and if I win the car?

• teamaltese
    7 years ago
    While I disagree with Sophie's tone, her comment is right on. For a home application, this is bad design. Unless the McDonald's janitor is coming over to clean. I would not buy a home with this set up.
  • janedoe2012
    7 years ago
    I don't splash that much water, but it does seem like cleaning would be harder. Although, I would hope that most people could achieve the same level of cleanliness in a master bath used by 1 or 2 people that McDonald's manages in their men's rooms.

That tile looks like it has a texture that might make cleaning a little harder anyway. I think it's probably a safe bet that the OP has thought this through.

OP, I can't see anything from the photos. The angles make it difficult.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Did anyone consider the soap pump and how many times it will fall behind to the floor? Nope! Because at Mc Donalds it is on the WALL near the hand dryer.

• teamaltese
    7 years ago
    Even with textured tile, a band of smooth tile right at the sink would have allowed the sink to be properly placed to prevent water from running down the wall. Again, McDonalds has employees to clean constantly. And unless you're a huge fan, why would you want any part of your home to look like a fast food restaurant?
  • Snaggy
    7 years ago

I dont like the design ..but there is no need to be so rude about like Sophie!

• teamaltese
    7 years ago
    Sophie is known (notorious?) for her "take no prisoners" tone, but she is rarely wrong with her advice. If more posters took the time to consider what she's saying, rather than how she says it, they'd be making better decisions, with happier outcomes.
  • Snaggy
    7 years ago

She may be right ..but If she spoke to me like that !

• Diane
    7 years ago
    Must chime in here one of my college professors a former assistant to B. F. Skinner said something I try to think about when talking to others " people will often forgive or forget what you said, but will always remember how you made them feel.
  • wantsideas
    7 years ago

Agree with Jan. Looks like faucet not centered on sink and sink not square? No to the gap/float design. In your second photo what is the thing on the side wall in or on the counter?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I also tell it like it is and sometimes people don’t like what I say but after thinking they do understand my point. As for this dilemma the only thing i am sure about is that that gap behind the sink will be a huge problem for cleaning since the tile you chose is already difficult to clean.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Sorry, but this lil' 'ole boy needs a tape measure, not a picture.

• Denita
    7 years ago

I also agree with Jan. It looks like the sink is not square - or more accurately the sink was set on an angle. That bothers me more than the gap.

• PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

Postings like this always make me wonder who signed off on what paperwork? The OP's comment leads me to believe this was an original choice but who came up with the crazy idea as it doesn't seem like a homeowner idea?

The main issue I see is the odd gap, the slight rotation of the faucet doesn't bother me much, as compared with that gap

• formeryankee
    7 years ago
    I agree the sink is not straight! The left side is slanted.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

So who gets the car? Was it a quiz? Is the OP going to get his/her money back? Did he/she do it intentionally? Does the OP care what we think? Is it a vision test and he or she is an optometrist ? So many questions.........

• chiflipper
    7 years ago

"Designs" that are seen in commercial settings often have problems when used in a residence. Cleaning a public restroom that has been constructed as a wet room with a floor drain is easy with a low pressure steam unit. Don't know too many homeowners who own one.

• User
    7 years ago

I'm just LOLing at the idea of a McDonald's restroom being held up as high style to emulate. I did save the pics for the 2017 Hall of Shame. SMH.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

wait, there's a Hall of Shame? was there one for 2016? how did I miss this?

and in what McDonalds do you people patronize that have clean restrooms? Especially the mens?

• wacokid
    7 years ago

Going from left to right the sink/countertop is angled to the front, not straight. If that is is, nothing you can do now. I like the design. I bet the OP is single and is not going to be doing the cleaning. If it is a guest bath, rarely used, who cares if a little water gets spilled. None of you are going to use it or clean it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

@Beth,

MY dad worked at a movie theater as a teen. Said the ladies was a STY. compared with the mens room. Frankly, no fast food meets my standards, so that's that, I still long for the places that had the beautiful hand towels and the lady monitor who handed you one.: ) Beth, WHAT are you doing in the mens room?????

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

hah. well I try and stay out of them. but you can peek in through the door. and yes, the lady w/the hand towels, perfume and toiletries are from days gone by.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

The only attended men's rooms I know of are in "gentleman's clubs" and you have to tip the attendant. So I've heard, of course.