Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kopstir

Need Help!! Sofa Advice - Ethan Allen vs Norwalk

Alex B
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are trying to finalize our furniture selection on the living room sofas (2) between the Ethan Allen 87" arcata customized sofa (upholstered) vs a Norwalk Estate customized sofa (upholstered). Norwalk is slightly more expensive but that is not a concern. We are more concerned about the sofa holding up (living room is our primary gathering place) and durability. We like both of them but we have not used Norwalk before. We have heard mixed reviews on both of them. The main difference between the two is Norwalk is manufactured entirely in the USA while EA wood parts come from their authorized factories in South East Asia and then assembled and upholstered in USA. Any thoughts/recommendations on this?

So here are the photos. First is Ethan Allen (Arcata 87") the second is Norwalk (82")

Ethan Allen

Norwalk

Comments (37)

• PRO
    Humberto Delgado
    7 years ago

Hello Alex, I have the EA Arcata sofa at home in the brown leather, it's been about 3 years now and I love it! No issues what so ever with any of my EA furniture.

Alex B thanked Humberto Delgado
  • PRO
    Interiors 4 U
    7 years ago

Flexsteel is another brand that is very durable and last forever. Think about the loose or semi attached back cushions. IF you use it all the time, like you mentioned, they tend to get out of shape fairly quickly. I prefer attached back to keep the shape intact.

Alex B thanked Interiors 4 U
  • ccmey
    7 years ago
    I have had two Norwalk Manhattan sofas for two years and they are holding up beautifully. I was very picky with my fabric selection,choosing a higher grade. I do not have children or pets. I previously had a Flexsteel sectional that held up really well with heavier use, still looks good in my kids home. I strongly prefer three seat cushions over two.
    Alex B thanked ccmey
  • Alex B
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your responses. @ccmey - we were thinking along the same lines of getting 3 cushions instead of 2.

@Interiors 4 u - we looked at Flexsteel in the stores near us but they dont seem to have what we are looking for. They told us that it will take 12 weeks at a minimum and unfortunately that does not work with our schedule.

@humberto - thank you!. Some folks were telling me that EA is not what it used to be. While that may be true - like the furniture not lasting 20 years - I am glad to hear that your experience with EA was good. I like the Arcata how it sits and the depth of the sofa seems perfect.

From your responses it seems that either one would be a good choice. Thank you!

• Tammy Lawhorn
    7 years ago
    Ditto what Ann said about the 3 cushion. Two is much better
    Alex B thanked Tammy Lawhorn
  • PRO
    Janice Terry - Ethan Allen of Stamford, CT
    7 years ago

I am a designer at Ethan Allen and find that the Arcata has a signature wood base with tapered legs anchors loose cushions and easy-to-love arms, making it well suited to both casual and formal spaces. The three cushions looks more comfortable!

• Mary V
    7 years ago

I had a Norwalk sofa, loveseat, chair and ottoman for 5 years. They were in great condition when we sold them before moving out of state. The cushions remained firm and the fabric looked like new. I prefer 2 cushions over 3.

• amhers104
    7 years ago

Love the look of the Arcata!! We are strongly leaning toward ordering two of these sofas in the Hollis White fabric option. Just worried about getting "white" sofas. Wondering what you decided and if you went with EA, what fabric did you chose.

• einportlandor
    7 years ago

My Ethan Allen furniture has held up remarkably well. My heavily used sofa (not EA) has loose back pillows and I regret them. They flop over and haven't held their shape. My next sofa will have an attached back for sure.

• PRO
    Janice Terry - Ethan Allen of Stamford, CT
    7 years ago

Hello let me know if you need any assistance with questions on a new sofa from EA

• jdgail
    7 years ago

I have the Arcata with 3 cushions-7 years now. Still love it but it is time to replace the end cushions. Inside front corners flatten out. Quote was almost $300 each at EA. Fabric is off white with texture and it has worn beautifully.

• amhers104
    7 years ago
    @ jdgail. Thank you so much for your feedback on the Arcata sofa. I really love the style of it but my husband thinks that the wood in front of it makes it look more formal. I told him we can customize the color would – I would go a lighter color. We are purchasing the sofas for a new home that is being built down in the beach area so we definitely want it more casual, but nice. He likes the Retreat sofa with track arms better. Is the room you have your Arcata sofa in a casual or more formal room? If casual, would love if you could post a picture of it so I can convince my husband it is not formal looking.
  • nyan_b
    7 years ago

I've had an Arcata for a little under two months. It's comfortable and it's a lovely sofa, but the back cushions became misshapen after the first week. Disappointed

• jdgail
    7 years ago

It is in my family room with 2 EA Monterrey chairs, a rattan wing back chair and a leather club recliner. I have a large bamboo coffee table that compliments the wood in the base of the sofa. Admittedly I decorate more on the formal side but it is coastal-just classy adult. All of it can be dressed down just enough with the toss pillows, throws, window treatments and accessories but still be beautiful. Bought the best cushions and glad I did. Back cushions still standing tall. I'll track down a picture tomorrow that shows it a bit more clearly. Wood base not beat up despite my uncontrollable vacuum.

• amhers104
    7 years ago
    Thanks- sounds beautiful with bamboo table. Would love to see a picture! Thank you!!
  • jdgail
    7 years ago

• barrowp
    7 years ago

I have had the EA sofa in my great room for about seven years. I see it as transitional style, not formal. It is very comfortable and easy to style around in off white. My complaint is same as jdgail, flattening of inside corners. I picked the softest of the three cushions available, which I would not do again for that reason. The problem is that even with regular flipping and rotation, the inside corners stay on the inside.

• hummingalong2
    7 years ago
    Both sofas are beautiful. I prefer the look of a 2 cushion sofa, but it also depends on how many family members or guests are using it. On a 2 cushion sofa, someone may have to sit in the middle, which can sometimes leave the inside edges crushed or misshapen.
  • jdgail
    7 years ago

Agree with barowp on all accounts........had always been a 3 cushion girl but normally it is just this girl on the sofa and I have beat those corners into submission. I would go with 2 cushions next time around for durability and, I never have to sit in the middle : )

• PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    6 years ago

according to last months article on APARTMENT THERAPY, you'll wish you knew about us sooner.

custom sofas and custom sectionals hand crafted in the US. we are a family business making quality furniture in los angeles for over 50 years now. of course we can ship nationwide.

request a quote RIGHT HERE. we offer the best price-quality ratio !! xoxo eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM

***CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF FINISHED CUSTOM SOFA SECTIONAL PROJECTS

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

KENZIE STYLE - Chesterfield Custom Sectional Sofas · [More Info[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kenzie-style-chesterfield-custom-sectional-sofas-traditional-family-room-los-angeles-phvw-vp~9403371)

Project: MEDIA ROOM CUSTOM SECTIONAL SOFA · See Project

• HU-758402167
    5 years ago

We love Norwalk. we purchased a sofa sleeper and loveseat about twenty years ago. Five years ago we sold the set with our home and it was like new. No wear at all on cushions or upholstery, and the sofa bed with the then standard mattress was the best we’d experienced. About twelve years ago, we purchased a second sofa and loveseat for a differentroom and moved that set to our new home five years ago, it still looks like new, and is the most comfortable furniture we’ve ever had. Just today, we chose a new sofa bed for a den, and the mattress upgrades were numerous. We opted for the memory foam with gel. We thought since the original innerspring was so good this would be even better. .we wouldn’t buy anything but Norwalk. After twenty years, it’ll still look and sit like new.

• HU-565296098
    4 years ago

New York City Manhattan and I am considering becoming a Norwalk dealer at store. Does anyone have any helpful advice? I have never done this before. Any comments you can also send to my email at Chuckm137gmail.com

• framelady
    4 years ago

Have sold Norwalk furnture in pass years qua product. Have owned Norwalk sofa 12 years old cushion still good shape and frame solid.

• carrolkb
    3 years ago

Do not buy a Norwalk sofa. We just did and it came in a different fabric than the samples we saw - Norwalk is not willing to do anything about it. They keep insisting that it is my fault that I didn't know the sofa had stripes (the fabric description clearly says there is no pattern). Really don't deal with this company.

• Lisa Claridy
    3 years ago

My Norwalk sofa is in great condition, it’s 16 years old! Frame, cushions and fabric all excellent!

• russrose1
    3 years ago

I bought the Norwalk Portland sofa and love seat 20 years ago for our vacation home at the beach. At the time I ordered I ordered extra firm seat cushions. Both pieces have had lots of use over the years and they are as comfortable .... and look as good, as the day we bought them.

• carrolkb
    3 years ago

Don't buy a Norwalk sofa. Their quality has seriously gone down over the years. We have three sofas that we loved. We just bought another one and there are so many problems - the fabric was not as pictured or described online, they left some kind of tool or scrap wood in the sofa that is pushing the fabric on the underside down, the fabric has a small tear, the cushions aren't upholstered on both sides as in our other sofa. Not sure what has gone wrong there but something has.

• HU-175485945
    2 years ago

Had the exact same Ethan Allen sofa and it is the most comfortable sofa ever. Great to sleep on also. My only problem was the dog loved it so much the herringbone fabric got grungy in the areas she appropriated.

• Kate Winslet
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I don't see any point in doing this. If you have a sliding sofa, then you can simply not push it apart. I remember my friend wanted to do something similar. He wanted to connect two sofas into one big one, I don't know why this person needs a sofa for four people if he lives with a girl. He had to remove one of the walls at each sofa. Then he took plywood (I don't remember the thickness) and cut them to size, fixed them on the sofas and fixed the sofas together at the back. Then he fixed the plywood from below and put iron supports for the sofa. It looked very original, but I think if he had bought a sofa from a similar site https://www.abakusdirect.co.uk/sofas/by-type/corner-sofas.html, it would have been much easier.

• Nina Scheffler
    2 years ago

We own a Norwalk leather sofa sectional for 25years and live,sleep and use everyday.The only reason I want a new sofa is redecorating. This sofa is barely broken in.I am buying a new sofa from Norwalk.

• carval
    last year

Ive had 2 Ethan Allen sofas for 15 years and they are still perfect. Bought a $6000 sofa from Norwalk in September- used 6 weeks and it looks like its 20 years old. Dont ever spen hard earned money on Norwalk.

• PRO
    Stonewood Interior Design
    last year

I cannot recommend Norwalk.

My client purchased Norwalk sectional. Within 3 weeks of delivery which was in November 2022 they noticed a hole in each arm of the sectional in the exact same area. You can feel the rough wood underneath the fabric where the holes are. There is no padding underneath the fabric in the area of the holes so the fabric rubs against the bare wood. I filed a complaint with the customer service center.

A couple of weeks later the fabric began pulling on the bottom side corner of the sectional creating ripples in the fabric. I filed another complaint. It wasn't until Jan. 11, 2023, when I talked to Mr. Souter on the phone about both issues that I received an initial response to my second claim 9085 and a second response to my first claim 8996. After our conversation Mr. Souter responded with an email that he spoke to the VP of Manufacturing and he indicated that it is not a manufacturing issue and that they will offer me fabric at a discounted rate to have my own upholster fix the issue. Mr. Souter made the absurd remark that maybe the client turned it upside down and drug it across the floor.

They won't even entertain the notion that they are not at fault for this poor workmanship.

• carrolkb
    last year

Norwalk used to be a good brand I think but no more! I would absolutely avoid buying Norwalk furniture. Our fabric deteriorated - literally peeled apart - during the first year. They sent new cushion covers - refused to recover or replace - but of course if I put those on they are just going to deteriorate as well. This sofa is so awful I want it out of my house!

• Kendrah
    last year

Ethan Allen used to make good sofas. So if you purchased one 15 years ago and it is in great shape, the same might not be true if you purchase a new one today.

I have given up on purchasing new upholstery. Even a lot of stuff made in the USA is crappy these days unless you go into an extremely high end price range.

Instead, get a sturdy sofa for next to nothing on EBay, FB marketplace, or Craigslist and have it upholstered. I have found two Baker sofas this way - one was free. They will last a lifetime.

• manitowac
    last year

My 3mo old Norwalk sectional looks like I’ve had it for 10 years. Cushions broken down, upholstery on arm incorrect, crooked and no padding. Too many problems to list. I am waiting to hear what they will do about it.

Buyer beware!

• Carol Vallozzi
    last year

I hope you have better luck than i did. My Norwalk sectional is in a second home , that isn even used that often . when it was only 6 weeks old, the cushions broke down, and they became completely fuzzy. its hidious, and we even sent a cushion to the factory. NOTHING done, this is the worst company . im ready to take mine to the local consignment store. They dont deserve anyone’s business…