Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6718901

Need help for colors!!

13 years ago
Hi! I am a 21-year-old girl who shares her bedroom with her 17-year-old brother. We have now decided to renovate our room but we are having troubles deciding the colors. I try to explain how our room looks like.
It is rectangular. On one short wall we have a white ambry, on the other we have a white window. The door and the pavement are medium red alder. We have two small closets which are white and a desk which is light cherry. ( http://0.tqn.com/d/homerenovations/1/0/B/J/-/-/KeidelWoodChart.JPG)
We are now going to buy two new sofa beds who should look more or less like this one ( http://www.nanaarredamenti.it/MayaDivanoLetto.html) and to paint the walls.
We have been trying to decide which colors to pick for days, but we haven't come to any decision. What would you suggest us? We would like to have bright colors and the beds not of the same color.
If you don't understand well what I mean, tell me and I'll try to explain better, maybe by also posting some pictures.

Comments (59)

  • 13 years ago
    Yes, our rug is orange and turquoise! I really like the first picture, maybe we could use a color like cream for the walls. Do you have pictures which show the contrast between a cream wall and a white closet?
  • 13 years ago
    Do you also know a site where I can find color palettes?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Try the Sherwin-Williams website where they have a color visualizer that allows you to look at rooms painted in different colors. However, unless you live in North America, I'm not certain you'll be able to buy the product. But at least you can get an idea of what your room would look like with different colors on the walls. Here's the link:
    https://www.sherwin-williams.com/account/login/
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here's a cream and white hallway which will show you how the two colors work together.
    Attention to details · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    This is a nice colour palette for your room if you go for orange and teal:
    http://design-seeds.com/index.php/home/entry/kingfisher-hues1

    and here's the link about how you could get similar colours
    http://blog.design-seeds.com/2011/12/12/whats-that-color/

    Good luck with your project.
  • 13 years ago
    Carolins thank you, the palette you posted is just perfect! Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design I live in Europe but the site is inspiring :)
    I talked to my brother and he likes these colors too! He thinks that it would be better if we choose turquoise paint because it would create a great contrast with white and wood. At this point the beds should be cream and orange. If you have more inspirational pictures post please! If you also have other ideas I would really appreciate :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Turquoise is such a beautiful color. I wish you'd consider painting one or more walls white and the others turquoise. Your brother is right that the turquoise will look great with white and wood. But 4 walls of it might be too much.
    the Bauhaus living space · More Info
    Modern Home Office · More Info

    Master Bathroom · More Info

    Architecture and Interior Design · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Well, one wall will be completely white because it is a closet. Maybe it's true that it would be too dark. I think it would look good if we painted just one of the long walls, the one in which goes the desk, and keep the others white. In this case, we could buy a turquoise and an orange bed.
  • 13 years ago
    Can you name this color?
    http://www.ima-mobili.com/media/comuni/carta_da_zucchero.jpg
    in italian it is "carta da zucchero"
    We also like this color for the walls.

    [houzz=
    Contemporary Kids · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The walls look periwinkle blue to me.
  • 13 years ago
    Searching on google it seems very close to the one of the picture, maybe a little bit too violet.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like your idea of one turquoise wall and one bed in turquoise and one in orange.
  • 13 years ago
    I made these drawings. The turquoise is too dark, unfortunately I didn't have a lighter pencil! As you can see I left one of the beds blank, because while I was drawing I had the feeling that it would look better orange. What do you think?
  • 13 years ago
    I forgot to attach the images :/
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    In the corner we will put a white bedside and white shelves
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Yes, Lara, orange would be good on the other bed also. And your rug will unite the two colors.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would carry the turquoise around to behind the second bed., and maybe stop it on the opposite wall at the same point. Is that possible?
  • 13 years ago
    I think it would create a weird effect. I think it is better to stop the paint in that point because, as you can see from the map I posted before, that corner is not regular. Otherwise we should paint just the wall with the desk.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think you're right!
  • 13 years ago
    Lara, nice drawings!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you carolins!
  • 13 years ago
    My brother doesn't want two orange beds. What other color would be good in your opinion? He doesn't like cream neither.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Lime or white or gray. Maybe white with orange and turq pillows.
  • 13 years ago
    I'd stay very neutral and add color in accent pieces
  • 13 years ago
    We have decided that the second bed is going to be turquoise as the wall! Tomorrow we'll go and search them. I'll let you know what we find!
  • 13 years ago
    In the meantime, could you help me with a bookshelf? As you can see from my drawings, in the corner we wanted to create a white bedside table with some shelves. Can you post me some pictures as the one below? I love this room, it's very warm.
  • 13 years ago
    Lara, if you search Houzz and type in the search box what you're looking for, you'll get lots of photos to give you ideas. You can also search in the bedroom section under 'browse rooms'.
    Good luck with your project. It will be lovely. Keep us posted of your progress please.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Carolins. I like to use the forum because professionals as you are give me very good advices. I am very glad to see that you are interested in my project. I can't wait to see the final result, but I know it's going to take at least a month! I've been loving architecture since I was a child and now it's the first time I get to do something concrete. I wanted to study it at university at the beginning, but currently I'm studying economics, which I found out that is a signature that I hate...Architecture would have been better, no doubt ;)
  • 13 years ago
    Oh Lara, you're only 21. Plenty of time. If you love architecture, find a way to make it happen. Trust me. There is nothing better than getting up and going to a job you love, nothing worse than going to one you hate!

    For bookcases, look at the very affordable Billy system from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/it/it/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/11683/
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi Lara, IKEA do some great shelves in white - I am sure you can look them up online for some ideas to go with your room. They are also doing some great turquoise cushions which would work with your colour scheme.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    groveraxle & ironwood are SO right about the money & passion part. money comes to you, if it is meant to, as long as you work (ofcourse :p). but to earn it doing something you love, is a blessing indeed (plus no mind conflicts & requires less effort on a daily basis to get work tasks done)! i opted for my profession for practical reasons, even after years of experience in it, will leave it for what i love..
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    btw, re your coloured hand drawings/plans: are both sofas, sofabeds? if yes, then how will you use both for sleeping at the same time as their legspaces overlap..?
  • 13 years ago
    i do like the idea by Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design of having two walls two diff solid colours and placing one bed against one.. and then swapping colours for bed.. i-e orange bed against lilac or turquoise wall.. and vice versa.. everything else in between white..
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with you all! Having to study something that I hate I realized how important it is to do something that you love. I chose to study economics because I was accepted in a very important university so I thought that it would have been a good start to find a good job in the future, but right now the only thing that I want to do is to graduate as soon as possible and never hear a word of economics in the rest of my life :)

    Anyway, speaking about my room...I bought the beds! The pictures below are of the ones which where exposed in the store, our beds will be a little bit different. The first one is mine and will be turquoise (like the color of the second picture), it's a normal bed which just looks like a sofa. The second one is my brother's and will be bright orange, almost red, it's a sofa bed which opens and it's a little bit narrower than a french bed. My brother wanted at all cost to have a big bed and a sofa bed was the best solution not to occupy too much space. When it opens there will be more or less 70cm between the two beds, so it won't be a problem. I hope you like them!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You'll have a lovely bedroom that will look like a nice living room during the day! Good choices!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you, that's exactly the effect that I want! We have never used our room during the day because having a bunk bed we had no space to sit...Can't wait to receive them!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    To make it look even more like a living room, you need to place a small table in front of each bed so that it looks like a small coffee table. Since most of the furniture in the room is rectangular, it would be good to introduce a round shape with this small coffee table. It could be a metal table or ceramic or wood.
    Orange Lili Punched Drum Stool · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Love the colour combo of the bed that you have ordered. Decor-Accessorizing will be fun.
  • 13 years ago
    It's a very good idea but my brother's bed opens, so we should move it every night...it would be uncomfortable
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Use a small lightweight table and it will take him 3 seconds to move it.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here are two Ikea tables that could work nicely. The first one is shown with wheels, making moving it extremely easy. The second one is available with wheels though the photo shows it without. First one costs $99 US and the second one $9.99 US.
    STRIND Coffee table · More Info

    LACK Side table · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I don't know Carolyn, maybe I prefer having a empty space. I'll decide when the beds arrive. Thanks for your help, you are always very kind.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Empty space is a wonderful thing to have!
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, especially if you are very messy ;)
  • 13 years ago
    Do check out 'what a gem' sale on joss & main app.. Made me think of your room.. Bright, solid coloured accessories there..
  • 13 years ago
    @anumaura I love the cushions and frames! unfortunately living in Europe is a problem for me buying on american sites...and it's a pity, you sell the best things
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Don't worry, you'll find stuff like that where you live. I think these can be used as examples of what you can add in your room.. Am not from n. americas but asia..
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What a fun room to restyle. @Lara, can't wait to see your "after" pics!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you, I can't wait to see the result too! We'll have to wait a month :)