joeinmo

Quartz Mountain & Quercus Fusiformis Live Oak Trees in Zone 6

joeinmo 6b-7a

This post is a continuation of other posts on Live Oak Trees growing in 6a, 6b and 7a Zones. The tree varieties include: Quartz Mountain Live Oak from Oklahoma, Northern Texas Live Oak, and other Quercus Fusiformis from Central and Northern Arkansas, Extreme Southern Colorado, and Extreme Northern New Mexico.

Current successfull locations in these zones are Southern Pennsylvania, the Ozarks of extreme Southwest Missouri, Tennessee and Virginia.

• poaky1
    12 hours ago

I see now that MY heat zone is the one that is cooler than the 4.4 - 4.9 it's like 4.0 - 4.3 or something like that. Yeah, so no wonder you guys get more growth than I do. I am going to use a marker and mark the growth spurts on my QMLO, hopefully the ink will NOT fade from spring to late summer. Later guys.

• poaky1
    12 hours ago

Hi guys, well, Brian I can sympathize with you on that deer browse, as I had mentioned my TXLO had deer browse on it earlier this year. But, it is doing fine now, it is putting out new leaves and should be fine I gave it some bunny poo tea, (just what it sounds like) and there are bunny poops around the area so when it rains it can fertilize a bit, it will NOT burn, so, I surely don't need to fert but, I figured it won't hurt either. I even had a deer come about 30 feet from our house and eat all the leaves off of my Mountain Laurel shrub.

We've had some heat here too, good for the LO's but bad for my cool season veggies. I even got sunburned last week cutting grass. Hu is the Grisea a evergreen oak and is it a western oak or Eastern, I'm gonna guess Western. If I remember I'll look it up, I have about 300+ emails to go through or I'd just look it up myself.

Joe, I was afraid my seedling QMLO would dry up and die in my GH so, I brought them out where I can make sure they are kept moist, on our deck. As for the seedlings 1 of them has 3 leaves, and the other has roots about 5-6 inches long BUT I got the acorn off of it, BUT, it looks like a green nut, NO leaves yet, I am hoping the leaves come out, it is definitely looking alive, but, NO leaves out yet. I have another that looks like that, BUT, has NO roots, just a "stump" that looks like the radical started to come out but didn't. Maybe I can buy 1 of your many QMLO's? I am fine with my 2 or even 1 IF the one never get leaves on it, BUT, I wouldn't mi nd having an extra 1.

I wish I could post pics and then all you guys could guess what )if anything) the leafless BUT rooted green nut is doing.

Anyways, I have been watering my QMLO baby and the "green nut" every day. It has been in the 80'sF outside most days, they are in gallon pots I think. We'll be cooling off starting Sunday though, 70's F or high 60'sF. I planted cabbage and the plants are flowering, so, you know it's been hot. My heat zone on that map is a low 4.4 to 4.9 IF I saw it clearly. NO wonder MY QMLO is only doing a foot or so a year, it MAY have done a bit more maybe a foot and a half. It has been holding off on making a new flush yet, I just see some teeny tiny new leaves BUT, it is like it is holding back yet. Now, my TXLO should do much better, it had grown from ground level last spring and grew about 4 feet and kept it all winter and NOW I am really excited to see how much it grows this spring/summer. We are getting plenty of rain also, I 've been cutting the grass so often to keep up with it, so, the trees will surely be in favorable conditions.

BTW, my TXLO has 2 independent trunks, they are about 3 inches apart, I want to have a single trunked tree, BUT, should I let it be just in case 1 dies next winter, that way I have more chances of still having a TXLO? They likely grow that way naturally where they grow wild. Later guys.

• Brian From MO.
    yesterday

Found the culprit. Grrrrr

yesterday

By the way Joe we are basically in the same sunshine zone as South Missouri, look at those fuzzy little dots on the map that cross the state line from Kansas just South of KC. That's where I am.

Somewhere out there is a heat zone map to. Similar results as with the sun map.

We have rich clay based soils here, excellent for row crops. LO do way better in ST Clair county with it's rocky sandy soils, plus being closer to zone 6b.

Quercus grisea planted Saturday in ST Clair county.

yesterday

Yeah Joe, based on my experience here in west central Missouri I would expect a struggling shrub at best near the Iowa line. A Virginia LO will be a struggling shrub here in a good microclimate. I expect the same for my Cork oak though it is coming back way more vigorous.

I wanted to mention about the Compton oaksoaks ability to survive zone 5a temps but that doesn't mean it will survive well in an actual 5a climate.

I could see it survive in 5a northern Missouri, southern Iowa but I don't think in 5a se Minnesota. Very long duration cold there.

Also being a hybrid, each individual has different traits, including cold hardiness. I would like to see someone try it there anyway just to see, after all Bald Cypress survive there.

• joeinmo 6b-7a

Poaky , it was me..acorns from one of my Quartz trees.

The rain doesn't really bother my Quartz Mtn live oaks, but my Texas quercus fusiformis leaf out last and has hit 2 rainy years in a row..last year I waited too long, this year I sprayed some Copper Fungicide on the young soft leaves. Quercus Fusiformis ..all varieties need heat to grow this 60-70's rainy days just stunt it. I still have about 20 Texas and Quartz Mtn - Quercus Fusiformis in my greenhouse..where it's hitting a 100 degrees..it doesn't phase them ..as long as they get watered every day.

while im sure northern Missouri on the Iowa border might be able to have live oaks survive ..I think it's a really harsh environment for them. It's a 5b zone..even a few tiny specs of 5a zone..whereas southwest Missouri is 6b and some splashes of 7a, SE MO is Mainly 7a

thats just a huge difference in duration of cold ..so you have dieback and buds coming out on the thicker branches. The test is to see if the branches that hardened off in the fall..will continue on the next year and not start new somewhere else on the branch.

i have 100% branch extension On the Quartz Mtn..it's has no problem, but on my Texas Quercus Fusiformis it's about 99% ..mainly if we get too much rain in October along with 80 degree days it has new growth..a cold november snap like we had the last 2 years in Southwest Missouri, hardening doesn't occur and I get a little dieback.

After observing and researching the quercus Fusiformis for 12 plus years I think the important needs of the tree to grow and be healthy are the following:

#1 Hot summer temps..2 months of high 80's to the low 100's or more.

#2 Sunshine Zones or Index..as you can see the "Live Oak" zone Is 5.0-6.5 - here in SW Missouri we have as much sunshine as Georgia, Florida, parts of Texas , Oklahoma, SC etc.

#3 Short duration cold snaps..(can be cold -10 to even -20 below but just for a few hours, never 2-3 consecutive days of zero or below.

#4 Good moisture ..rain and heat, NOT rain and cool. Even though the trees do extremely good in dry climates, they are a variation of Quercus Virginiana..which do love moisture ..so as long as well drained ..they will take all the water you give it.

#5 although they can deal with all soils, they like clays the least. My soil is clay, but 30 min south it's totally different.

• Brian From MO.

It was joe or Mike. The key for the fast growth is the grow tubes in general with fertilizer.

• poaky1

I would LOVE to see mine do that but usually mine has done about 1 foot per year or not too much more than that, BUT my NEW ones COULD do more than that, I'll have to wait and see, I have 2 new seedlings that just sprouted this spring from acorns that I got from maybe HU? JOE IN MO? BRIAN? Sorry, I can't remember WHO sent me those acorns for a Quartz mountain Live oak last fall.

• Brian From MO.

My QMLO grew about 3 feet in one year. No exaggeration.

• poaky1

Yeah, I agree, BUT I am NOT too close to Pittsburgh, BUT growing a Live oak of any variety here in SW Pa is kinda "pushing the limits". I am glad that we can plant a Live oak in a zone 6a place and be able to grow them here even IF it is a slower growing oak like a Quartz mountain Live oak. I used to think that I could NEVER grow ANY Live oak tree here in my zone 6a hardiness zone. My TXLO is looking good so far BUT with the TXLO there is always that chance that it will be really messed up by a cold snap, BUT, the Quartz mountain Live oak is really hardy enough to keep even new growth protected.

I always expect that severe winter around the corner but to me it's all about experimentation. I've gotten into most plants relatively cheap. If you notice these trees are out in the wide open, no microclimate no mulch,no urban heat island. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't. Sometimes it takes several years.

It's people like us that push the limits and give inspiration for those that do have microclimates in urban areas like Kansas city, ST Louis and Pittsburgh.

• poaky1

HU that tree in the pic is a nice tree. Live oaks in some places like Oklahoma, St Lois and where ever will do fine, BUT, I am just going to toot my own horn since I have seen some new spring leaves on my TXLO and my QMLO but next winter I can see a big nasty cold winter come along also. My area has had a very warm winter this past year, it was a zone 7b winter and I am pretty sure that it will NOT happen next year or in most years coming along, BUT, who knows anyways?

Two pics didn't get posted, obviously the one that did is neither the dead one nor the youngest one!

Yeah Joe,good to see people out and about. Not a lot of effect on me because I'm semi retired and have 31 acres here to keep me plenty busy.

The cool cloudy weather definitely slowed things down this May but unlike south Missouri, we've been kinda dry. About an inch of rain this morning though, about 75 degrees now,80s through the weekend.

One of my original four LO was killed to the ground. It's always been the least hardy of the four, with bark split every year.I may have sited it in to wet of an area. Oddly it still had about 20 %leaves left as of April 1st, distributed all the way out to the ends of the twigs then suddenly died.

There are 3 sprouts at the base though.

One of the others today.

One of the youngest trees today.

• poaky1

I see that 1 of my Compton's oaks had some trunk bark cracking last winter OR maybe the winter of 2018-2019. You can see the inner bark that is light tannish besides the outter bark. It is going to be fine I know anyway. I have APPROXIMATELY 5-6 Compton's oaks.

• Brian From MO.

All variety of Live Oaks are good here, except the deer love chomping on them as well. I took one Compton oak out of its tube and the deer stripped it. Once they grow out of the tubes, the deer strip off the tops. Other then the deer management needed, the QMLO, TXLO, Canyon Live Oak, and Compton’s are doing great!

• poaky1

Hi guys, well, my QMLO bigger tree has had some leaves that had gotten a bit frost bitten BUT they are still coming out and I see many new buds about to push out new leaves, I don't see that many leaves shed, really only a few, MAYBE the super mild winter is going to have the leaves NOT shed? Now, we haven't had much HEAT here yet, now, today, I got a sunburn cutting grass, BUT, who knows IF the LIve oaks are impressed with that bit of sun and heat. IT did take about 4 1/2 hours to cut the grass, so a sunburn would be expected.

My TXLO has leaves starting to come out and they seem to be pretty much up to the top of the branches except for a few places, there is only a small bit of deer browse from this winter. Right now they are small little purple to pinkish colored leaves coming out.

It seems like I am only going to have 2 new QMLO seedlings from the acorns I got from (SORRY) either Joe or HU, maybe even Brian. I know I got the Magnolias from HU, BUT, the QMLO acorns, I can't be sure. Well, anyways, I planted 6 in pots and 1 in the ground. So, the inground one has yet to show itself, and the 4 I planted in half gallon pots haven't come up and the 2 I planted in big pots maybe a 2 gallon pot have come up and I has 3 leaves and 1 has a short root system and the acorn is almost coming off and I see definite green and the acorn is gonna come off soon. The rest just seem to be not doing anything, BUT, I'll give em more time. I have them all out of the greenhouse and on the front deck so I can see them all. PLus, the GH gets too damn hot easily. WE are done with our last frost or freeze about 95% sure of that.

WEll, here in SW Pa, we are in the "yellow phase" and I was unaware of that until I saw the paper. I haven't seen anything open that was previously closed like Hair salons, stores that aren't selling food or pet food, the news channel in Pittsburgh had not shown my county as being in the yellow phase, so, I was shocked when i saw in the paper that it is since May 15th and I've Tivo'd and watched the 6pm news every day, and it never showed that. I had showed the counties near Pittsburgh though. We are due for some 80'sF later on in the days ahead though.

I hope you all get good growth with your oaks, later.

• joeinmo 6b-7a

Well more rain...not much growth ..it's not warm enough ..these trees need heat.

all open in Missouri ..busy busy everything is packed

• poaky1

Yes, I am excited to see any QMLO that I get from the acorns I sowed last fall. I am really happy to see that my TXLO seems to have NOT been winter killed down to the ground like has usually happened in past winters and the tree is getting a bit larger and hopefully hardier. Later guys.

• Brian From MO.

Hi Poaky, the large leaves stayed on during the winter and the small ones are the new ones shooting out this spring. Sounds like yours are doing well as well! Congratulations !

• poaky1

Hey guys, I Hope everyone is doing good. Wow, Brian that TXLO leaves look GIANT in that tree shelter, it kinda looks like a deciduous tree leaf at that size, I'm guessing with the leaves shaded you get much larger leaves.

Well, my TXLO leaves did get some frost damage to them, BUT, I am hoping for some new leaves to emerge, the leaves were JUST starting to push out. They don't look much worse than my Compton's oak leaves damage really, BUT, OF COURSE with the TXLO it MAY take more effort for the new leaves to look normal.

My QMLO had some teeny tiny leaves coming out and the freeze got them, BUT, not all of them were ruined, BUT, that tree surely will be able to put out more leaves. I know that I will never have to worry about THAT live oak being killed by cold weather or frost/freeze.

Now, my acorns and the 1 seeding in the greenhouse (QMLO) that has 3 leaves on it and the 1 acorn that is going to get rid of that acorn on it PLUS the other sown acorns, I am going to move all of them outside soon, for now, I moved out 2 of the individually potted sown acorns and I left 2 of them in the GH in case the 2 I mo ved outside perish in the cool night time temps, BUT, the temps are supposed to be well above the 30'sF, they are supposed to be in the 40's and above. I have moved 2 outside because the GH COULD get very hot and dry out the pots although I water them daily when needed. Now, the ones I have sown in a bigger pot I will need to separate and pot up in separate pots. I never messed with the taproot on the 2 that are together in the bigger pot. Now, the 1 acorn that I "direct sowed" in the ground has yet to show any above ground growth, BUT, it is early yet.

Sorry IF this is kinda hard to understand, I am drinking some vodka tonight, BUT, anyway, I have about 6 QMLO seedings Possibly only 2 BUT, I am pretty sure that the 4 I have sown into separate pots WILL be pushing off the acorn part and the leaves will emerge, they just haven't gotten rid of that acorn yet, BUT, I can feel that something has grown above the soil surface, I do WISH I could state with MORE sureness (for lack of a better word) certainty, I guess, that I will have a total of 6 QMLO seedlings in pots and 1 in the ground , IF it decides to come up.

Anyway, Good luck everyone with your Live oaks and other experimental oaks. I am not sure IF we are actually done with the 30's and freezes yet. I want to plant my peppers and tomato plants also, BTW, the forecast here says it's going to be okay here for the next week, and usually after Mothers day and 1 year a few days after Mothers day was good here to plant tender plants and to have NO more freezes or frosts, so, I sure hope so, later guys.

• Brian From MO.

My smaller TXLO I spoke about above

• Brian From MO.

One of the TXLO kept its leaves on all winter and the new ones are growing now. The QMLO is putting out new leaves also. Low of 35 degrees tonite. Cumpton and Canyon Live oaks look greats also!

• poaky1

My Comptons oaks have been doing pretty good they have just started to leaf out. I've never had a ny problems with any of them. They are all listed as zone 5a hardy when I bought them from Mossy oak natives nursery.

One of six Compton oak, the only one that had damage from April 15th freeze. Note lower branches resprouting and upper branches untouched by the freeze.

Emoryi oak looking good today.

Cork oak sprouting along trunk and from base. Not bad 1st year plant not very well sited. The best that I hoped for. Experimentation, hope for urban heat island areas and for South Missouri perhaps. Sprouts up to about 12 inches.

Thanks Poaky, and you to.

61 degrees today, upper 30s tonight, maybe some frost, rare but not unheard of. Last freeze/frost was April 15th,about normal.

I'm 6a, the trees are TXLO but are from disjunct population from eastern New Mexico at about 3000 ft and are supposedly as hardy as QMLO. Only time will tell.

I have tried Virginia LO from South Carolina, they struggle a few years then die. Virginia beach LO may have a better chance in urban heat island areas and well sited. Not so well in my rural setting.

• poaky1

Sorry, HU you are a zone 6A NOT B, so, YOU must have a TXLO?

• poaky1

Hey Guys, I hope everyones trees are doing fine still. And HU hope you are still able to deal with YOUR medical problem. I am dealing with mine okay until I see the surgeon for a consult on June 2 nd. I've got a visiting nurse coming 2 times a week. I pack the wound myself when she isn't there.

ANYWAY, I have both my TXLO and my QMLO leafing out decently. We are still having 20'sF at night. BUT, it was 62F today. I have my seedlings of QMLO in the Greenhouse in pots. The acorn is still attached on the top, and IF they were outside and getting rained on, I THINK the acorn would have blown off or something. I can feel that the top is growing up out of the pot, I just need to take the acorn off the top of the baby leaves. Now, my BIG pot I see 1 QMLO seedling it has 3 leaves on it and then I have another one that I just need to get off the acorn cap off of it. I did direct sow 1 QMLO and I do have to see IF the top is coming up out of the soil.

I have to put them outside once the weather starts to get too hot because THAT is how I killed my QMLO from Alligator Alley, it got too hot in the greenhouse and the pot dried out and killed the QMLO. I had been watering it daily BUt it had been over 100F in the GH and killed it.

MY area is supposedly having the last frost on April 29, BUT, that is NOT correct, it tends to be a couple of days AFTER Mothers day, so, May 10 th is Mothers day this year, so, a couple of days AFTER that, so, about May 12th or 13th. It HAS been MUCH later, BUT, not normally.

BTW, HU, that bigg-ish LO that you have a pic of is that a TXLO, or a Southern LO? I am thinking it HAS to be a TXLO, since YOU are zone 6B. IF I am wrong, tell me, sorry, I am drinking tonight.

The pic was on the "Live oak in a Northern zone" forum. Later guys.

• Jeremy In VA (Zone 6b)

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up covering the smaller tree with a large garbage can and the bigger plant I couldn't think of anything at the time to do for it. They both came out fine. This tree must be hardier than I give it credit. It was a good experiment I guess.

More this morning. But similar temps to the one a couple days ago. I'm sure everything's fine. But I hope that's the last frost for us this spring.

• joeinmo 6b-7a

Looks like we will be opening up for the most part on May 3 here in Missouri

Need to get things opened up

• joeinmo 6b-7a

Well none of my quercus fusiformis have leafed out, they do have catkins on them but don't look bad.

i did have some regular deciduous treeS get hit hard..we hit 30 for a couple hours and 32 for one hour. I have a 3 year old catalpa with some new tender leaves ..all toast. They will pop back out in a week or so.

The first year I planted my texas Live Oak back 10 + years ago..it was a little 3 foot twig.. it leafed out an we got hit hard in April as well..down to 25 or something ..It took about 2 weeks but new buds formed and it was fine. So I wouldn't worry too bad.

Poaky i I hope your surgery goes well

Thanks, you to.

• poaky1

Hey HU, I hope that you can get some releif, I also may have to deem this as an emergency, it hurts badly. IF I didn't have to mow the lawn and have my belly in front puffed up I could steer the mower, I wish I had a zero turn one so NO steering problem. I have NO idea how bad it is in your area for Covid numbers, MY area last count (last night) was around 60 in my County, as for deaths, I'd heard 3 BUT that was a good while ago.

WE've had some REALLY cold nights lately, BUT, NOT colder than previously, mostly in the 20's and low 30's. Daytime temps have been in the 40's and some 50's. Lots of rain here. Not enough snow to stay there very long at all.

I really hope that you can get your surgery that you really need to get done, you're surely in more pain that I am. Later HU.

Hope things work out for you, I'm in a similar way with a slipped disk and they won't schedule surgery unless I'm in severe pain which I'm getting there.

There was 6 to 10 inches of snow on the Missouri- Iowa border yesterday. All rain for me though. Much better today.

• poaky1

Hey guys, My TXLO buds are still okay, most trees haven't leaved out yet, just swollen buds. Hu, I'd seen on Youtube about Elms and ashes dead or dying ones could have Morels under them, them and old Cherry trees, the wild kind. I will NOT be looking for Morels anytime soon though. My seatbelt injury from my car wreck back in June 2019 is giving me problems, I need one side drained and the Hosp do NOT want to do surgeries now because of Covid 19. Bending over is very painful, so, I am NOT sure about picking Morels now, IF I could even find any. IF I can't get this drained, I will not be able to cut grass, it will be too painful. This Covid 19 sure is a pain in the ass, BUT, at least I haven't had it affect me or anyone I know more than THIS. In JUne I will see a plastic surgeon that will be cutting off a ton of my abdomen skin my scar tissue from the seat belt accident it is a HUGE area, I do NOT look forward to that. I'll be paying the neighbor to cut my grass all summer after than surgery. Sorry to whine guys.

My QMLO is still looking good with swollen buds. Later guys.

Hey Jeremy, I didn't get your reply until the next day, I hope your tree came through ok. I was going to suggest a temporary enclosure, four posts and wrap. Make sure foliage has little contact with the wrap. Place a couple of gallon jugs of hot water inside wrap and cover all with a trash bag.

We got colder than I expected last night, to about 30. Little to no damage on TXLO leaves and buds but one Compton oak in a low area lost leaves from 6 foot down. From 6 foot to the top at about 12 ft, leaves were untouched.

60s and 70s coming today and next week though. That should be the end of cold weather hopefully.

• Jeremy In VA (Zone 6b)

About 2' tall. Not sure of it's age.

Probably not. How big is it?

• Jeremy In VA (Zone 6b)

Hi all. Hope everyone is well. It's supposed to get down to about 30 tonight and both of my QMLOs have already put out new growth. Do I need to try and cover them up over night?

Btw, poncitrus flowers and leaves untouched. Water oak good but a closer inspection of the TXLO leaves did show some damage.

Freeze not a problem, 30 maybe 29 Monday morning, 33 this morning. Only very slight damage to a few Compton leaves and a few on Winter Jasmine. No damage to fresh Diamond leaf oak leaves and LO. 8 inch Giant cane, Arundo donax froze.

Poaky,look for morels around dead elms on hedge rows, which in my little experience with Pennsylvania, I don't think you have hedge rows like we have. In creek and river bottoms look for soft maple or cottonwood trees. You can find smoky morels around ash trees. Also try old Apple orchards. Good luck.

• poaky1

A Youtube video I just watched said that old and/or dying Wild Cherry trees are in a spot where he finds Morels in spring, he is in Pa also like me. We have those in the woods all around me, I may try and see IF I can find any. He was finding 2 kinds of them. I just wonder IF I may find a kind of Morel that is inedible, he didn't cover THAT in the video. I posted some questions to him though.

I do wonder IF I will be able to go into the woods without the neighbor getting all pissy with me, it is on HIS land. He never used to care when I was a kid IF I went in his woods, BUT now I am an adult, so he MAY care. PLUS I used to get thorns from wild Honey Locust trees up into my foot all the time as a kid, I do NOT want that to happen again now. Maybe I'll try some other places that may have some old wild cherry trees that that particular place I was going to go to. Later.

• poaky1

Well, I knew that the country used to be all native American land, but for some reason I would be shocked to find anything like an arrowhead or pottery shard in MY yard.

I looked up that Meadowcroft shelter and it is not too far from me. It is about 2 counties North of me. It being the oldest Native American site is shocking to me, I expect things like that to be seen on Oklahoma or near North Dakota and S. Dakota. I just hadn't thought that Natives really lived that close to me. BUT as you said they'd lived through the whole country. Basically, It's like "nothing ever really happens here" type of thing. I'm in Fayette county, and there are some Historical things here, BUT up the mountains, NOT in MY backyard. Thanks for mentioning Meadowcroft to me, I'll be looking to see some pics of it etc.

We have definitely moved off the subject of this thread about Qmlo. However it's good to talk about different things occasionally. Sorry, my fault.

Mushrooms, split them, soak in salt water. Coat in cornmeal and flour, fry in butter...goooood!

The whole country was once native American land. I think it's called Meadowcroft shelter in Pennsylvania that's considered to be the oldest native American site.

• poaky1

Okay Lucky duck, at LEAST tell me what they taste like. Is there anything to compare them to? I've heard that old apple orchards and maybe some oak forests MAY be sources of where they grow.

In normal times some restaraunts will pay good money for these, per pound.

I guess you are in Native American land in Missourri? Or it WAS Native American land? Later.

Yes indeed, they're goooood! Nice find Brian. Yeah Poaky,they're morels. The artifacts are found on or close to my ST Clair county property and many other sites.

• Brian From MO.

Morels found behind my house. Tasty!

• Brian From MO.

Founds these couple days ago. Mmmm. Good! 29 degrees Monday morning :/

• poaky1

HU, are those Morels? I don't know where to find them, BUT, I've heard they are great tasting mushrooms. Well, BOTH of my LO's are budding now, the QMLO still has green leaves on it. The TXLO is budding and the new growth is all at least an inch and a half from the very end of the branches, the last years end growth MAY have been browsed by deer, and NOT desicated by wind and cold. I am never going to have a winter any warmer than this past one so hopefully it was just from deer browse.

I have at LEAST 5 QMLO potted up acorns that are pushing up green growth, BUT, it is still covered with the acorn for the most part, I don't want to tear it off yet, I only had 1 that died, so not too bad.

We are due for some low 30's F coming up at night, so, I am still setting my heater in the GH to come on when it gets below 35F. It likely hasn't had to come on though, the GH stays at bit warmer than outside anyway.

BTW, Hu did you find that potshard and arrowhead in your yard? If so, that is exciting, at least to me. Nice pics, I wish that I could post some of mine. Later guys.

Yeah, 5 out of 6 trees have just swollen buds but my youngest but most spunky one at 30 inches tall has sprouted some leaves and even a catkin!

ST Clair county trees have leaves breaking.

Last two pics from Wednesday. ST Clair county.

Also found that day:

Shrooms,arrowhead and pot shard.

Just something to get us through these strange times.