Software
Houzz Logo Print
hartcm08

Outdoor mission Fail

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello everyone!! Behind our home we have a small slab patio with no trees to block the sun due to this being a new construction home. I purchased a "pergola" (this is how the box described it) to provide shade to the space and provide a nice outdoor seating and eating area. Mission FAIL!

The first problem is the "pergola" is to large for the concrete patio thus it extends out into the grass (picture below)

Then there is really not enough room for a small table with chairs and two lounge or sitting chairs. Ultimately it seems I would need to extend the patio, which is no where in the budget anytime soon.

These are the ideas floating in my head..

Should I move the "gazebo" to the yard and place some chairs there and leave the table and chairs on the concrete?

Should I attempt to extend the patio using concrete pavers?

If I move the "pergola" to the grass will it be off having a grass "floor"

below are my inspiration photos. Can this project be saved or... Better luck next time?

..Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you

The above photo is the current fail.

Comments (32)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think I would just leave it where it is and make it work. If you move it to the yard, you would need to find a flat, level spot, which may not be a space you would otherwise want to put it. And all the grass underneath will eventually die, unless you move it around frequently (and who wants to do that?)

    You are probably also more likely to use it when it is on the patio. If you moved it and kept the chairs and table uncovered on the patio, would you use them without the shade?

    hartcm08 thanked CLC
  • 9 years ago

    I think it looks fine. If you look at your inspiration pictures, you'll see they have patio furniture up against the walls of the pergola and no place for a dining table.

    I'd move the dining table against one wall so that you can easily use three chairs. Then put patio chairs or a patio loveseat on the other side for seating.

    hartcm08 thanked auntthelma
  • 9 years ago

    I think it's the black "drapes" (?) that might be throwing you off...they remind me of a widow's veil against the light top. So sorry!

    hartcm08 thanked northpoint2
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    1. Can you return it?
    2. What's your budget?

    The biggest problem I see is that it's too close to the house, as is the one in your second inspiration picture. When it rains, the top is going to funnel water right into your door and foundation. No bueno! You'd be better off with a patio umbrella that can be closed when it rains.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You are right. We have been working hard on this grass(believe it or not) and I would not use both as much. I have two rocking chairs nd a small table with four chairs. I think I need to try to make it work. I'm just not entirely sure how yet. Today I plan to clean up in the yard I will take some photos of potential furniture arrangements and hopefully get some feedback from you all then.

  • 9 years ago

    @northpoint lol it's okay! They actually came with it, they are "suppose"to be some sort of mosquito netting. I considered taking them off and maybe making some drapes or just leaving them off to give it a open airy feel.

    @Sammy lol I too scrambled to see if I could return it, I cannot unfortunately. :( budget wise I would say at the most $200 (which is a lot for me because I'm a frugal diyer)

  • 9 years ago

    but...if it didnt extend beyond the concrete, you wouldnt be able to anchor it in the ground... so, go you!

    and if its bigger than the patio, its big enough for everything that was previously on the patio... so, go you!


    hartcm08 thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 9 years ago

    Very true indeed @nnigrt the glass is looking a little more half full and less half empty as this project unfolds.

  • 9 years ago

    We have had a simple gazebo like this for years, and I love it.

    hartcm08 thanked partim
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Remove the perimeter sod, lay some geotextile fabric, mulch it, forget it. Fifty bucks and four hours and it'll look like you planned it that way.

    hartcm08 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 9 years ago

    Can you tuck the screen inside the corners, like your first inspo pic?

    Otherwise I think it's fine, though you might have too much furniture for it. Try placing the table and chairs on the right side of your photo. The rockers can go on the left--its ok if they are on the grass. Does that allow enough room to exit the house with a tray of drinks in your hands?

    hartcm08 thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • 9 years ago
    Yes! You need enough room to carry that tray of drinks without spilling.
    hartcm08 thanked lobelia
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I like your idea of adding pavers around it. You can buy 12 x 12 white concrete pavers at Home Depot for $1.36 each. You could stain them with concrete stain so they don't look like an afterthought. There's more sweat equity involved than cost but I think those extra few feet would help. You would have room to move your table and 4 chairs over to the right on the fixed side of the door and add your other chairs to the left.

    hartcm08 thanked katinparadise
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Congratulations! You've received some very helpful, practical, and cost effective suggestions. I believe you'll be happy with your outdoor area with a few tweaks as recommended. Unless you are plagued with mosquitoes, I'd nix the black screening.

  • 9 years ago

    The tinted concrete pavers (brick red, brown, gray) are a bit more expensive but still very reasonable.

    hartcm08 thanked partim
  • 9 years ago

    Something like this to extend the space you have might work.

    hartcm08 thanked Amber T
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You can purchase 18x18 or 24x24 pavers in concrete for around the perimeter.

    hartcm08 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 9 years ago
    If the pavers don't work for you, what about a perimeter of smaller gravel a.k.a. road mulch? Keep it neat with a border of landscape edging on the grass side and make sure you put landscape fabric underneath it to discourage weeds.

    By using this smaller gravel, the individual pieces eventually "knit" together to form a fairly solid, stable surface.
    hartcm08 thanked edenchild
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Hi everybody! Thank you so much for all the great advice! I greatly appreciate your help. I have seen a lot of mention of concrete pavers, I myself loved that idea until another poster mentioned that the way this gazebo is made stationary is by being anchored into the ground. If I use pavers I am unsure how I would anchor it into concrete, I also am concerned that could crack or seriously damage the paver itself. Is it possible to anchor this in concrete. Secondly I have never installed pavers before I'd like to create a path using them on the side of our home so any advice on installing them would be awesome. I believe these rocking chairs that I have yet to sand and paint are perhaps to large for the space. This was somewhat the set up I wanted.

    Even with this tight set up however I was able walk out the patio doors with a tray. ;) I want to add a black and white stripe rug to the space, some lights and a few tiki torches.


    edit Partim has covered how to still anchor the gazebo in the ground. Thank you!

  • 9 years ago

    Yup-just run the pavers up closer to the gazebo, not under it. They're not hard to install, just laborious. My husband and I did a 12 x 12 paver patio ourselves. Here's a link to a how-to video from Lowes. https://www.lowes.com/projects/porch-deck-and-patio/installing-patios-and-walkways/project

    hartcm08 thanked katinparadise
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My drawings show that you could leave the corner free of pavers, to anchor the gazebo into the ground. The L shape black things are the L shaped bases of the gazebo corners. These drawings show the gazebo either right against the house, or out a bit. You're not going to have chair legs etc right at the corners.

    hartcm08 thanked partim
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    These photos are now the direction I'm going for. I'm just very nervous about putting these concrete pavers down correctly. I like that the second photo kind of allows me a little room for error.


    I like the idea of pavers and the mulch creating a flower or plant bed.

  • 9 years ago

    Question..

    Should I be concerned about potential termites with putting mulch this close to the home?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I've never heard of termites in mulch.

    hartcm08 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you. I purchased about 8 bags of mulch this weekend.

  • 9 years ago

    Should I try to level this out like pavers?

  • 9 years ago

    You'll want to lay out your pavers where you intend them to go, then you'll have to mark them out and dig out the sod under them. You need to dig deep enough to add a bit of sand to tamp down so they have a solid surface and will be level with your concrete. Then I would erect your pergola and follow with mulch. You'll also want to edge the outside of the mulch area with flexible edging like you see in the first picture to keep it from constantly falling into your lawn. My only thought about doing your patio like the second picture is that it doesn't really extend it for seating, etc. The first picture extends the solid surface you have for spreading out your seating. You can do this! YouTube is your friend here!

    hartcm08 thanked katinparadise
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you so much! You are right! I can do this! I hope I can. Just dig.. Just dig

  • 9 years ago

    This is going to be great, and your diy heart will love that you created something beautiful out of your initial disappointment!

    Remember as you go that this is a non-permanent fix, so if something is off you can just redo it :)

    Can't wait to see the after pics!


    hartcm08 thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • 9 years ago

    And dig and dig and dig...... A flat sided spade will be a big help in cutting out the sod. Recruit some friend and offer beer and pizza. If they're going to come help you enjoy the space, the least they can do is help you make it pretty ;)

    hartcm08 thanked katinparadise
  • 9 years ago

    I'm a 67 year old woman with a bad back and a busted shoulder. I've installed pavers and so can you. Like others have said, dig out the grass, then dig a few more inches, add a layer of sand, lay the pavers and wiggle them around until they are level. When all of the pavers are down add a bunch more sand on top, sweep it into the cracks, water it in, add more sand as needed. If a paver or three becomes uneven, just pull it up and adjust. Repeat. Many YouTube tutorials available.

    The great thing about outdoor DIY is it generally doesn't have to be perfect -- think of it as rustic! And chances are if you stay in the house for awhile you'll eventually replace the patio with a larger patio or deck. So go for it!