Software
Houzz Logo Print
suburbandecorista

15 years ago
just wondering about the long term look of this fence.... would it rust? I love it!
debora carl landscape design · More Info

Comments (11)

  • 15 years ago
    If you select Galvanized metal for your project , it won't oxidize.
  • 14 years ago
    Actually ... new galvanized panels will oxidize and form the hard, uniform matt surface that you see in the photo, if outdoors. When first installed the galvanized metal panels have a shiny new mill finish that reminds me of huge fish scales. How long it takes to develop the oxidized patina depends on climate and exposure to weather.
  • 14 years ago
    How did you install this? I have a neighbors white vinyl wall and I'd love to put this over it
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    You can also get rid of the shiny waxy coating by wiping new galvanised metal down with (from memory) methelated spirits.
    (I know this because its nessecary to either do this or buy a special primer if you're painting over the galvanaised metal because the paint wont adhere properly otherwise!)
  • 14 years ago
    I totally need to do this. What's the cost breakdown vs. wood? I have a fence that is in process of falling down. It is a delight...
  • 14 years ago
    That conpletely depends on what steel prices are like where you live - call a local steel supplier or hardware store and find out!
  • 13 years ago
    What's the name of the framing wood ?
    What's holding it for support ? Don't see any posts.
  • 12 years ago
    its not steel, steel would rust. Its galvanized corrugated sheets, buy at Home Depot
  • 11 years ago
    Yes, galvanized corrugated sheets will discolor, rust and generally lose their coating with time. People actually pay more for metal that is distressed looking, so if that's the look you are going for, you will get it in time, or can hurry it up by spraying it with muriatic or other acid.
  • 5 years ago

    I recently finished patching up our barn roof thats made of the same material, and I wondered if I could replace my large, rotting wooden fence as durably but cheaper using this material? (At least a fence build won’t be 20’ up)! I love the way it weathers over time too.