Software
Houzz Logo Print
jsmith9000

Need help selecting exterior paint for 1979 home

9 years ago

Please help with color selection for 1979 home exterior paint. Although our home is considered contemporary, we dont want to make a bold contemporary statement that really doesnt match the rest of the homes in the neighborhood. Our interior is pretty much transitional as is most all neighboring homes. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Comments (10)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Are you considering replacing the roof shingle in the next few years? That should form part of your decision going forward. If you are try to stay away from putty tones and go more towards medium to dark greige - it will be much easier to consider other siding colors without the (what appears to be) pinkish undertones of the current shingle.

    I would investigate other west coast contemporary color palettes - as that's the architectural style of the home. You will often see two different siding colors or materials (such as cedar plus an accent color) A more current color scheme will move this home forward as well as add value as the current color is def underwhelming.

    West Coast Contemporary Custom Built Home · More Info

    West Coast Contemporary · More Info

    Jennifer Smith thanked nuthinontv
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you for your help. We will need to hold off on a new roof for now due to budget constraints. However, I really appreciate your comments and photos and will look into these options.


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    White

    Jennifer Smith thanked Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
  • 9 years ago

    I think a slate blue might be a good transitional color for your home. Check out Benjamin Moore Philipsburg Blue and Hamiliton Blue.

    Jennifer Smith thanked visualizemaven
  • 9 years ago
    You need to have your roof cleaned and anti mildew application applied, that is part of the problem, streaks.
    Jennifer Smith thanked gtcircus
  • 9 years ago

    3 Ideas:

    For a first choice, I would look into perhaps the gray family like a medium charcoal and I would use a white trim such as Swiss Coffee. Another choice would be Terravita Marketplace/Scottsdale, AZ Sherwin Williams Fawn Phantom x 1.5 (calm taupe) with a Fawn Phantom x2 or x3 for trim. The Dunn Edwards Hamilton Blue is another choice if you favor a blue tinge, but in a soft tone.

    Definitely, I would think about cleaning the roof and I think the anti mildew application suggestion mentioned, is something interesting to check out. You don't want leaks, so be careful about the roofs condition. And, BE VERY careful about picking out a roofer! Research and VET. Often roof valley's are more vulnerable areas and around pipes etc. and worn areas may need to at least be reinforced to keep the house safe and sound.

    Jennifer Smith thanked User
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Jennifer Smith thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 9 years ago

    What is the range in your neighborhood? Are there any neighborhood rules? I see why you want to change from that peach... white would be crisp, or a nice tan, gray, blue...

    Jennifer Smith thanked Pool Habit
  • 9 years ago

    I like your advice..We dont have any rules per se about color. However, the rest of the homes are more modern conservative which is the reason we dont want to go too bold. There are a few homes that are similar in style to ours. However those are basic brown and tan.