Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andy_hellmer

Decorating tips for large living room

Andy Hellmer
6 years ago
I have a large living room that is definitely lacking something to bring it all together. Any tips on furniture pieces or a way to rearrange the furniture to make it look less bare? I was thinking of a large piece of art above the sofa that incorporates some colors of the sofa and rug.

Comments (18)

• della70
    6 years ago

Good idea with the art. Be sure to go to art fairs this summer and support your local artisans with their offerings. I would suggest a love seat to the right of the end table or two chairs to create a conversation area in an "L" shape. Remember to hang the art at eye level. Also, your lamps are too small for the proportions of the ceiling and you might want to get taller ones. You are on the right track! Use the colors in the rug to add accessories and flow. Nice calm, pleasant space to work with!

• hbfn
    6 years ago

Buy a media console & lower your television.

• simstress
    6 years ago
    Adding art is good. Pull the furniture away from the wall. If this reduces your distance-to-TV too much, could the whole setup be rotated along the other wall? Get a larger rug. Put some space between the couch and recliner. Lamps could be bigger. A small sectional could work, if funds allow. You don't have to change all at once. Good luck!
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

how many do you plan on entertaining? willing to give up any of your furnishings?

• mindshift
    6 years ago

Agree with other posters. You need more seating. You need to fill in the extra space to the right of your couch. Larger end tables are appropriate. Living room table lamps should be taller. Lower your TV. You can keep it on the wall, but the horizontal center should be at eye-level of seated adults. Remove the lamps on either side of the TV. They serve no purpose and are a distraction to TV viewing.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

The problem you have is everything is "lined up" on the walls. I too think the TV is too high, so I would fix that. Move the recliner (leather chair) to the other side of the sofa and angle it a bit. Pull the sofa away from the wall and place that sofa table under the TV behind the sofa with those lamps. Add Art to that area above the sofa. One large piece, but not too big. Then lower the TV and put a nice long console under it for your components, etc. Move the floor lamp out of that corner and place beside the new console for mood lighting while watching TV. If you want to keep the tall plan, pull it away from the corner and get a decorative ceramic pot for it. Behind it on the floor place a spot light that can be used at night for additional soft lighting. Point it upward and it will reflect shadows on the wall of the palm leafs which will look nice. Try getting taller lamps for the end tables, and the one on the far end of the sofa is too low. The tables should be about the height of the arms of the sofa. If you use the small lights on the current sofa table under the TV then you won't need end table lamps. You might want a reading lamp near whatever seat might be used for reading. The coffee table needs something more and I would suggest a large interesting couple of books stacked with a small plant on top, and a larger bowl in black to pick up the black in the leather chair. Something black (small) for the table behind the sofa would work well too. Repeat an accent color 3 times and it helps unite the look of a space. Try those things and see how it feels to you. I'm not crazy about the rug either. Something a bit more textural and larger would be inviting. A shag type rug in a light color with perhaps some subtle design.

Silky Shag AMB0657 Ivory, Gray Shag Rug, 8'x10' · More Info
    Something like this one. You can find these with gray lines if you want a more subtle look.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Starnes Wall Art, Rectangle, Multi, 50"x60" · More Info
    Something like this for above your sofa. This has some black (good idea) and texture which will help "soften" the look of your "smooth" existing upholstery. Enjoy!

• PRO
    Interior Designer
    6 years ago

Do you have the floor plan by any chance? I can make the 3D model with furniture layout

• PRO
    Lumar Interiors
    6 years ago

There are plenty of ways to fill up a room. It just depends on how you want to fill up the room. Below are some possible ways to fill it up with coffee tables, side tables, console tables, rugs, couches, chairs, etc.

Kingstation Elegant Home · More Info

Kingstation Elegant Home · More Info

Royal York Renovation and Decoration · More Info

Royal York Renovation and Decoration · More Info

• Andy Hellmer
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is a diagram of the floorplan.. would a table look out of place in the middle of the room? I was thinking of a smaller square table to put along the right wall

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    6 years ago

Add a large piece of Art over sofa and make it the focal point to anchor a room. A large piece of Art can really bring in a wave of deftness and add more color and life to your room. It acts as a style to your room.

Here's some suggestion for your wall you might like......to know more about my Art work and collections please visit my shop -

https://www.houzz.com/pro/poochoudhary/__public

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooviArtGallery

****CUSTOM SIZE AVAILABLE ****

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

You could put a very small table or a round table, but be careful if you have the bar stools shown in the diagram. A round table usually is a better choice in tight spaces than a square or rectangle. You can check out the volume, by placing boxes or chairs in the space that would occupy this table space and get a "volume" view of what that size piece of furniture would do to your space. If you need "dining" space, you might check into a drop leaf table that you could place on that side wall and pull out and lift the drop leafs for when you seat more than 2-3 people for a meal. What do you need more? Seating for meals? Or perhaps a small desk area? Very dependent on your particular needs and wants.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Suggest you avoid the bar height tables, as they are uncomfortable and most are getting rid of them. Plus, you already have the little bar area at the kitchen.

• PRO
    A Creative Touch Draperies & Interiors
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Window Treatments definitely add something to a room. They provide light blockage or filtering, keep heat in or out, and give a line of sight for the room. Here are a couple of before and after images of a room with and without window treatments and you can see the obvious improvement.

Beacon Point Traditional to Transitional Update-Before · More Info

Beacon Point Traditional to Transitional Update · More Info

Landmark Towers Residence--Before Window Treatments installation · More Info

Landmark Towers Residence · More Info

Ken Caryl Ranch Residence · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

desk · More Info
    You could do a small table like this, and it could perform as a dining table for 4 or a desk surface. If you like that idea.

• PRO
    Holly Anderson Fine Art
    6 years ago

Hi there,
    When i saw this photo i couldn't help but suggest one of my own designs. it comes as an original or print, can be fully customized. Please email me with questions or if you are interested. I will try to post a few more ideas as im not quite sure what your exact budget or style is. My email is andersonmodernart@gmail.com ! have fun !

If you don't like traditional, rustic modern, contemporary or abstract perhaps you prefer organic ?? This is a fluid acrylic abstract which is very "IN" right now.

More suggestions HERE

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago