Software
Houzz Logo Print
georgeann_talerico

Backsplash Advice

New granite is installed. Now selecting backsplash. Narrowed down to these three choices. Going on a wall 9.4 to corner and then 7.5 adjacent wall. Afraid the long narrow glass might be too busy on that big an area. The smaller squares come in light and dark. Granite is Gaillo Ornamental. Cabinets are oak. No grout with the glass and love the colors in it with the granite. Dark small squares seem a little depressing to me. Thoughts appreciated for selection and grout color. We are split in our home on decision. Thanks.

Comments (39)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Like #2, its neutral - 1 and 3 look busier to me. What's the floor like?

  • 9 years ago
    #1
  • 9 years ago
    second option looks the best of these, though I'm inclined to think a slightly bigger tile would look better. one would need to see the entire kitchen, to form an impression.
  • 9 years ago

    I'm going to say no to all three. 1 & 2 already feel dated. I'd go with something plain and simple because the granite isn't plain and simple. Without seeing the rest of the room my first thought is a cream subway tile.

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for input. Here is photo of longer wall.
  • 9 years ago
    Was thinking subway but could not find right shad to match granite.
  • 9 years ago

    I think none of your choices are good. Make the backsplash plain and let the granite be the highlighted feature. Maybe and off white subway would be nice.

  • 9 years ago
    Ok. Thats two for subway. Will look for more shades. Thanks.
  • 9 years ago

    I'd go with one solid color and keep it neutral so it's more timeless/less busy. Do you know the name of your granite so I can Google it and get a better close up of tones and offer a suggestion either way if you like or not. I think it should be one color and tied in to the lighter in the counter top.

  • 9 years ago
    Granite is Gaillo Ornamental. I like neutrals!
  • 9 years ago

    yep absolutely a bone or cream subway tile. I'd also update the pulls. You can get some on amazon for a really good price. type in "bar cabinet pulls" and bunches will come up. Will totally update your kitchen for low $

    Here is a link

    pic of what i'm thinking. they come in many many different lengths too

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I googled your granite and this pic came up. I never thought of a gray'ish back splash but it looks like it goes well. Not too sure how it would look with your oak cabinets though

  • 9 years ago
    Will that be good with oak cabinets? I do have gray in my adjoining gameroom. Thanks for googling it for me.
  • 9 years ago

    sorry, there are so many tones to this granite in different slabs...is yours warmer or cooler? More goldy vs white or light cream....


  • 9 years ago
    More white, not the gold gaillo.
  • 9 years ago

    Holy smokes, none of those are good. Get some help from someone with some decorating style before you spend the money. That is my best advice to you.

  • 9 years ago

    The problem with viewing granite in this type is they can be cool or warm... all slabs are different.

  • 9 years ago
    Haha. That's why I am here. I say it is more cool.
  • 9 years ago

    I found taupe, yet you might do a glass subway in a tan which would be light.

    soft sand tilebar.com

  • 9 years ago
    I really like this one! Nice pick. Thanks.
  • 9 years ago

    I would select one of the more lighter in color in your granite and pick a tile that matches it. I think that would be a very nice and a less busy option you would appreciate for a long time.

  • 9 years ago

    do have have any pieces of granite left from when it was installed you can take to the tile store?

  • 9 years ago
    Ok. Like the longer tile you picked. Very classy. Is that about 6 inches long.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I like the 2x8 pick, but the color is Sand. I guess it's a taupe color. Loft series from tilebar. order some samples

    and the frosted

    2xx8 ceramic. Gray Fox.

    Bulevar, Ivory 4x12, below.

    also found this 3x9 tile, perfect size and a beautiful champagne color. it does have texture

    https://www.flooranddecor.com/subway-look-tile/dream-satin-champagne-glass-tile-100088376.html#prefn1=shape&prefv1=Rectangular&start=42

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks. Will do that. Like the 8 a lot.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It might be nice to do a bigger subway tile than the tiny tiles you have posted. The bigger tiles will work well with the granite you have chosen.

    Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    It was 12" yet you may be better off with 8 as mentioned above and not the typical 6". If the wall is long enough then 12" isn't a problem.

    this posted prior is 8" in length from tilebar.com

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks. Going to draw some 8 on wall to see it. Think That is my go to size.

    Thanks all for your help.
  • 9 years ago

    http://tilebar.com/loft-sand-beach-polished-2x8-glass-tile.html?gdffi=007c33964f424d48a7ad54207c9a96af&gdfms=D62A3C52789F4351BE71F6004AD8966C&gclid=Cj0KEQjwx6TJBRCWtsiXpI7bhOYBEiQA1en3FzP8KZB-88BlGLqH221v83OctYmhpwt3PsYKMZIGk7gaAvQj8P8HAQ

    Loft Sand is the appropriate name.. it's a bit more narrow and bit longer than a traditional subway which would look very nice. You might look at it and get a sample and see their other neutral colors since you can see your granite off of a computer monitor and order an add'l sample or or 2 if you think you lean this way.

  • 9 years ago

    http://tilebar.com/loft-sand-beach-frosted-2x8-glass-tile.html

    Frosted vs. polished same color Polished seems to be a shade lighter from the computer monitor so you might try one of ea. if you lean this way.


    http://tilebar.com/collection/subway-tiles.html

    The page to the subway and the polished vs. frosted.


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Don't forget how your cabinets play into this mix. They're dark, warm vs. the cool cabinets. Might be good to go a little darker and warmer for the backsplash.

  • 9 years ago

    I have oak cabinets:)

    Oak cabinets have movement because of the grain. Your countertop has movement. If your backsplash also has movement you will have three surfaces together with movement (and maybe even the floor too) which will look too busy even if each surface individually is pretty and a color match. The eye needs a place to rest.

    Oak cabinets are a bit on the country / rustic side. They do not usually go great with glass tiles which are more modern.

    Unless stained very dark, oak is a warm wood, and warm wood tones and cool grays do nothing for each other and in some cases look drab together. A small amount of gray and "warm grays" - which are usually more green or brown - can work. This is why many with oak cabinets are struggling with refreshing their kitchens - every "on trend" thing out there is not helpful EXCEPT - subway tile:) Also, farm sinks - but thats not your question.

    Wall colors that work best with oak - cream, creamy beige, blues and greens. The blues and greens can have gray undertones.

    Backsplash - must be simple. Some with oak, depending on the style of the kitchen, can get away with a contrasting grout. If you go with subway tile, when the tile is installed, but not grouted yet, there will be the illusion of contrasting grout. At that point you can access whether or not you like the look.

    Take a light, but warm, color from your countertop, and use it in a simple tile.

    Here is my kitchen:

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~93784356

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~57088087

    This one has a bit of contrast:


    Alameda Retro Kitchen Remodel · More Info



  • 9 years ago
    could you share a picture from further back?
  • 9 years ago
    You guys are awesome. Thanks so much. I am going with subway 2 by 8 in a light warm color that matches from the granite. Off into the hunt today!
  • 9 years ago

    Maureen, that is very sweet of you to say....

  • 9 years ago
    I'd like to change answer now. LOL =)
    I would definitely choose a 3"x6" subway tile in a brickwork laid style. I think that using a more natural looking tile (as opposed to a glossy or more fabricated appearance) would go better with your cabinets, granite, and flooring (all have a very natural look). We used a tile that has the appearance of Travertine, and it looks beautiful! This is also a very timeless, classic look. I twnd to stay away from trendy styles, otherwise you'll be remodeling again in 5-10 years. Or when you go to sell.your jouse, it will just look dated.
  • 9 years ago

    Debi - I love that tile. Where did you find it?

  • 9 years ago
    Our contractor got it. I'll try to find the name of the tile and post it. =)