Software
Houzz Logo Print
andrea2545

Please help me decide on area rug

9 years ago




Im just starting to decorate. Those rugs are from Pottery and Barn, I honestly can't really imagine how they will fit into the room. I like the idea of bringing in some blue to our gray and white schema.Something with a pattern but not to busy to the FP. The first two carpets are navy blue, I haven't seen the 3rd rug , but I think its more a brighter blue. The last one is a darker gray. I'm open to other suggestions as well. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks:-)


Comments (51)

  • 9 years ago

    Judy, yes, I thought I start with the area rug :-) open to all ideas.


  • 9 years ago

    Thanks, decoenthusiaste, those are my faves too. Good to hear from you! Yes, I measured and will need 8X 10.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I like this art piece with your horizontal boards on the fireplace wall and I love it with the tile fireplace surround.

    Serena and Lily rug
    Have you considered going a bit lighter with a rug?

    Andi thanked JudyG Designs
  • 9 years ago

    Judy, I like the pic ... not so sure about the rug. but they do fit nicely together.


  • 9 years ago

    Judy, any pic ideas for the first two navy blue rugs?

  • PRO
    Andi thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • 9 years ago

    I think Judy's art would look good w/ your navy rugs.

    Andi thanked jansgirl
  • 9 years ago
    You need more greenery over the fire place and a coffee table with an arrangement other wise very beautiful
    Andi thanked Gen B
  • 9 years ago

    Celerygirl, do you mind asking me if you could put the first two navy blue rugs with Judy's first picture above the fireplace in a photo for me? That would help me see it come together a lot. Thanks :-)

  • 9 years ago

    Jansgirl, I agree- Thanks :-)

  • 9 years ago

    Judy, where can I find that first pic you posted- it's very nice- thanks!

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I love this canvas for over the fireplace:

    https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/muted-paysage-ii,2444510/?s=gTEMKs9rTV2Crt0RBK7OT07XCv9r0NIXTJvTUIojaUkCFPoTelB9rXEyHV3CqH


    I also like it with this Pottery Barn Rug.

    Andi thanked JudyG Designs
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks so much Judy... I love the pic with the Pottery Barn rug! Maybe someone can put it in a pic like celerygirl provided above. Houzz is such a great webpage, I'm very thankful for all ideas and advises.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Here are some options for your room. I think it could benefit from a strong graphic statement on the floor.

    Here's another blue rug with kiwi accents.

    Here are canvas options for over the fireplace.



    Andi thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 9 years ago
    Here's a few combos that would look
    Nice
    Andi thanked Tammy Lawhorn
  • 9 years ago
    Love this rug
  • 9 years ago
    Sorry forgot to add photo
    Andi thanked Tammy Lawhorn
  • 9 years ago
    Another one
  • 9 years ago
    I think I need to go to bed!! Haha
    Andi thanked Tammy Lawhorn
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Tammy for your ideas :-)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Do you live near a PB? Maybe best if you bring it home first. Looks great on my monitor and I am suggesting to a client who is doing a navy, light blue theme.

  • 9 years ago

    Yes, I do- I actually will check them out today...not sure yet which one will look better. I keep you posted:-) Thanks :-)

  • 9 years ago

    Please update when you decide - I'm looking at the same PB options, leaning towards #2!


  • 9 years ago

    Andi thanked kjoy1
  • 9 years ago

    Kjoy1- thanks soooo much :-) That helps a lot ... could I ask you to put the other navy blue Pottery Barn rug in a pic as well for me? It's so hard to decide...which one do you like better?

  • 9 years ago

    This one?


    My favorite is this one:)

    Andi thanked kjoy1
  • 9 years ago

    Yes- thanks so much!!!

  • 9 years ago

    We decided for the Bosworth rug- and love it. Thanks for all your help. I was thinking of a small glass coffee table next- round or square is the question. What would fit best? We don't have much space so should be on the small side.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Can you turn the sofa around so the big wall has the long back of the sofa? That will open up the room. Put the TV over the fireplace.

    It looks like your sofa has been bad and must face the wall as punishment! You probably don't remember that from many years ago.

    Bad feng shui to have the back of the sofa closing off the room. Oh, who cares about feng shui anyway.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Ohhhhhhhh Andi! Sorry ..just now saw your post... too late, Kjoy1 did it great! :D. Good choice!

    Andi thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think something rough and organic would add life to your living room. An attention getter. A bit of wow.

    Uttermost Driftwood Glass Top Cocktail Table · More Info
    What do other walls look like in this room and adjoining areas? I like leelee's idea for moving the sofa to open up the space. You would be able to add lighting easier, too. But it looks like you have a fair amount of media "stuff"-oh, and the TV is already mounted on the wall. Dang. Your fireplace might be too high to hang the TV anyway. It was a thought.

    Andi thanked jansgirl
  • 9 years ago

    Jansgirl, Kitchen opens up next to great room, yes, FP too high to hang TV and we like to see TV from kitchen and breakfast nook as well. Deco stuff and pic over FP will follow just wondering for a small glass table, which shape would look better round or rectangular. Ceilings are coffered beams.

  • 9 years ago

    Love the rug!

    Andi thanked Kitchen_ Reno
  • 9 years ago

    Andi...love the rug:)

    Andi thanked kjoy1
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would pick a round or oval as the sectional and rug are square(angular) and it would be nice to look down and have something with a rounded edge
    Also nice? A larger ottoman with a tray on it. Easy to find online or at HomeGoods or PierOne or I am sure Pottery Barn. Great to put feet up on when watching tv
    Andi thanked Mimy von Schreiner /John R. Wood Properties
  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    Here is a cute glass one from pottery barn...

    Andi thanked kjoy1
  • 9 years ago

    Harlan Round




    Andi thanked Porter Edun
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Nice choices kjoy :) esp the last two....
    Any chance u can find and photoshop an ottoman :)? I have NO skills in that arena LOL
    Andi thanked Mimy von Schreiner /John R. Wood Properties
  • 9 years ago



    Something like this Partners in Paradise...

    Andi thanked kjoy1
  • 9 years ago

    Kjoy1 thanks again for photoshop. I love the glass tables as well as the stacked round wood tables. Where did you find the round wood tables?

  • 9 years ago

    Partners in Paradise, I was thinking of Ottoman first as well- thanks for the idea - I guess we will go with a table though.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm glad all of you think either round or oval shape... that was my initial thought... but hubby throw in "rectangle or square shape" so I wanted to get more opinions:-) Thank you all!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Geez, not oval



    Andi thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 9 years ago
    Andi...the wood nesting coffee table is from All Modern:) Double check the size to make sure it is not too big for your space...you could even use tape or string to mark the space out on your floor...
    Andi thanked kjoy1
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Seeing now some of the lovely options in photoshop( thanks kjoy!) I have to agree with Beverly that the round shape is much better. The oval just doesn't quite work with the sectional :)
    Andi thanked Mimy von Schreiner /John R. Wood Properties
  • 9 years ago

    Round works well in the space....

    I do like this piece in the room from JudyG.

    Yet, wondering if you might want to go with a, "see through" glass table so the room doesn't get too heavy and you can appreciate your rug through it as well :)

    Any of the three above would look nice.

    Andi thanked Porter Edun
  • 9 years ago

    spare metal and glass... I think it would look great. Love Bev's 1st photo as well as it has legs!

    Andi thanked Porter Edun
  • 9 years ago
    Here's a few that would look nice with different price points
    Andi thanked Tammy Lawhorn