Software
Houzz Logo Print
delmerd

Trying to figure out window security

13 years ago
Hi, I am currently in the finishing stages of construction, and I still have not been able to decide what to do about my windows. I was trying to go for the look in the second picture, but at this point it seems a bit farfetched. I realized there is no way I can go without burglar bars at the location. Can someone give me some insight as to which of the following options would be the most practical?

1. Burglar bars inside the windows, with dark tinted windows to hide the bars
2. Burglar bars outside (in my opinion this would throw of the styling completely
3. Any other ideas? I been toying with the ideas of retractable burglar bars on the outside, or the invisible guards that I see advertised, only problem is I am outside of the USA so getting installation done here is a bit difficult.

Thanks for any input.

Delmer.

Comments (15)

  • 13 years ago
    Could you use that thick glass with chicken wire inside (can't remember what it's called)? Actually just glass, if thick enough, is as strong as any wall material. Why not ask a commercial glass supplier?
  • 13 years ago
    that's an idea. I forgot to mention though, the glass is not fixed, I live in a tropical country, so windows must be able to open.
  • 13 years ago
    One more idea, we have a window next to our front door (on the side of the knob) and to discourage break-ins the glass is bonded to another piece of glass like an auto windshield. It will crack but is very hard to shatter enough to break in.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    that would take care of stuff when i'm away, but not too practical for when the wife is home alone and wants to be secure. Does anyone have experience with burglars bars installed on the inside? In theory I thinks is practical, but I'd like to hear from experience.

    I think you're talking about laminated glass, I think some 10mm laminated might do the trick.

    actually laminated glass doesn't have wire, it's just plastic..
  • 13 years ago
    Well in the q980s j(the peak of the crack and murder epidemic in NYC) ust about every tenement or rowhouse apartment there had security gates inside the windows and huge bolt locks bracing the door. How the city has changed! Which means that somewhere there must be a tremendous supply of all that stuff... Tbe Italian and Spanish neighborhoods tended to feature more ornamental versions. I think your security needs to be at the perimeter of the property - your fence and gate - and visual privacy the focus inside. Burglar bars may stop a break-in, but not someone with a machine gun. Are we talking Jamaica here?
  • 13 years ago
    very well said, kitasei. No, it's Belize. Compared to Jamaica, it's very safe.
  • 13 years ago
    delmerd, laminated glass, you are so right! I just couldn't think of the name of it and it is just as clear as regular glass. There is a clear film between the two layers. Good luck, too bad that with such a nice home you have to be so concerned!
  • 13 years ago
    Belize, I have been there numerous times, a beautiful country! Do hope you are not in the City as that is riddled with drugs & crime and not safe after dark.
  • 13 years ago
    cool, no I live in the outskirt of the capital, just a short ways off from the US Embassy Residential compound.

    Do you think it's possible to pull of a modern clean look with a version of Roni Karsh windows?
    Modern Windows · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Taking delmerd's idea further, why not make the iron bars a feature as you come to do the cladding for the entire house?
    I'll try and find photos
  • 13 years ago
    @ASVinteriors That'd be cool. I'm really starting to like the Roni Karsh windows
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Here is another image of a Swiss architect's work
    Some of those grills slide open - will try to get more
    Also you could have the windows open but the grills closed if you wanted air to circulate
  • 13 years ago
    How about internal shutters that can be opened and have adjustable slats...solves the issue of curtains and security.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Have you got a compound wall too with CCTV and driveway gates ? They help not only as a deterrent but can help a family feel secure while home alone. Looks a beautiful setting ! Hard to imagine anything 'not lovely' happening there !