Software
Houzz Logo Print
bluepuma

Need help picking a rug color for this room

9 years ago

Rug sale is ending tonight so I need to make a decision! I'm in the process of turning this room into a home office. (This is how the room looked when it was staged; none of that furniture is in there now.) I'm planning to paint the walls some shade of white (the current dark gray shrinks the room, I'd like to open it up). My work desk is made of mango wood, here's a picture: https://www.westelm.com/products/rustic-storage-modular-desk-set-2-box-files-h827/?pkey=coffice-desks With all that in mind - white walls and a mango-wood desk - what color rug would you put in here? I'd like to bring in some color, the rug doesn't need to be a neutral. Thanks for your input!

Comments (24)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    duplicate post

    Susan thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 9 years ago

    you're right. I deleted the other post. thanks for catching that!

  • 9 years ago

    I don't know how much help this is, but you should first start with a color you can live with and then a pattern that you like. I'm currently into purple and I like stripes. An ombre rug with lilac, brown and beige would do fine for me. Check your closet and see what color most of your clothes are. Do you have a lot of prints or stripes and plaids? The industrial look of your desk would go very well with a bold pattern - even animal "fur." If you browse the pictures fast and something catches your eye by color or pattern, it is probably one you could consider. Good luck.

    Susan thanked charlenek168
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    What is your favorite color? Favorite pattern? Since you are not scared of color for this room you can go bold.

    Azalea Cottage - Living Room · More Info

    Susan thanked Bayberry Cottage
  • 9 years ago

    definitely not afraid of color! I'm tempted to go with an orange distressed rug. Or turquoise. That room looks great, love all the color action going on in there.

  • 9 years ago

    Just one option / why not soften wall color with less contrast than white would create [with your wood desk]?

    Pale Oak OC-20 Paint · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Also - is floor concrete? with paint strips, you could gauge what paint color the floor is, and get some advice at store or houzz....

  • 9 years ago
    I currently love orange and blue! I'd look at bright rugs and go from there
  • 9 years ago

    Don't make a decision because you think the sale ends tonight.....it will be back again next time you log on.....that's why they apply pressure so you will need to act fast...oh no!!!!!

  • 9 years ago

    everdebz thank you for that paint sample I saved it to show to the paint people who are going to help me figure this thing out. I just found out that Sherwin Williams offers an in-home color consultation, so I have somebody coming over tomorrow to help me dial this thing in and pick the final colors for these rooms.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    So, rug sale is ending tonight. You want help picking a rug? Where is the sale?

    Walls: B.M Soft Chamois…an off white.

    Rug colors:

    Susan thanked JudyG Designs
  • 9 years ago

    It's the rug sale on houzz.com. let me see if I can add pictures of the rugs I am considering...

  • 9 years ago

    Those are lovely colors but I think I'm going to go with something more vibrant. Here's a link to one of the rugs I am considering:

    Safavieh Vintage Collection VTG112 Rug, Turquoise/Multi, 5'3"x7'6" · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Or something in orange, like this:

    Nuloom Traditional Bohemian Center Medallion Rug, Orange 7'10"x11' · More Info
    or this:
    Safavieh Classic Vintage Collection CLV121 Rug, Orange/Red, 5' X 8' · More Info
    I love that distressed/Turkish/beat-to-hell look. I'm just not sure if I should go for such a strong color in a small room

  • 9 years ago
    I love the first one.
  • 9 years ago

    Just an observation. Your desk may get lost on the two orange rugs. The turquoise one would ground the desk and not detract from the color or woodgrain.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Bristol Btl343B Rug, Fuchsia/Light Gray, 8'0"x10'0" · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Safavieh Vintage Persian VTP435B 8'x10' Blue, Multi Rug · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Weave & Wander Pellaro Metallic Ikat Rug, Gray/Beige, 5'3"x7'6" · More Info

    Susan thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You must consider not going too bold with color on the floor. You don’t want the desk to look like an after thought. Blend them in….

    Susan thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hello Susan and Houzz Pros.
    Throw down a Kilim to take the edge of office formality :)

    Barton Hills · More Info

    Cambridge, MA · More Info

    Modern Home Office · More Info

    Kilim Rug, Vintage Mid Century Modern Desk Lamp · More Info

    Kilim Rug in Vintage Office with Hand-Painted Wall Mural from 1923 · More Info

    Susan thanked Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
  • 9 years ago

    Judy I love those first two rugs, especially the saffron one! I did buy the turquoise rug last night, but if it doesn't work I will sell it on craigslist. This whole house needs rugs (polished concrete in every room) so I can experiment. I may have to get that saffron rug.

  • 9 years ago

    I never thought of kilim rugs! Looking at these pictures now...

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County