Software
Houzz Logo Print
casafrass

Big Empty Wall-Totally Clueless.

9 years ago
As the title suggests-I have a huge wall that is totally empty and I'm clueless on what to do with it. This is the only full wall-this area opens up into our formal living space, I've attached pictures to give a sense of my style. This room is immediately to the right of our front door entrance, wall is 122 inches, couch is 108.

Any suggestions? I'm totally overwhelmed by the idea of a gallery wall (I would have to start from scratch as I own nothing) but that seems to be the solution? I'm personally drawn to getting a really large piece of art but unsure of size/placement.

Comments (16)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think a large, vertical piece would look nice there. the aqua/metallic/charcoal accents are nice. try some pillows, throws, mirrors, other decor items.

    you could also paint that wall behind the sofa a darker charcoal

    look at how they used the items over the console.


    however, that ceiling fan,,,,now that's another matter! I can't live w/o my fan either, but you really need to upgrade to a more modern look that goes with your style decor!


  • 9 years ago
    Beth yes! I have this same ceiling fan in all of the living spaces (came with the house) and it is on my list to replace all of them.
  • 9 years ago
    Start with a light color paint on the walls like whites or bright greys or blues to brighten the space up.You can put floating shelves on that long wall and add some accent pieces and plants. A mirror and colorful lamps on that white cabinet with some family pics. The sectional needs some pillows with some color and pattern. You can paint the wall behind the sectional and put a console table behind and add some nice pots and plants with a painting or artwork like metal art or something. add some plants if you like earthy feel.
  • 9 years ago

    I love the gallery wall Beth showed with the large pieces. This could be done fairly inexpensively with some poster art and decent poster frames. Something a bit avant garde! Anything you add should be about 2/3-3/4 the width of the sofa and sit about 6 inches from the top of the sofa. I love your fireplace screen. Take a close look at your ceiling fans. Sometimes you can remove just the light fixture and cap it. It would save a lot of hassle and money if that was the case.

  • 9 years ago

    Is this a family room? Do you have some favorite family pics you could print in black/white and display as gallery in white wood frames w/large mats? Check West Elm frames. Or check online gallery wraps from favorite pics.

    I would center the sofa on the wall and use a wall mount plug in sconces (RH) or see if the couch and rug would fit opposite direction so your rug wouldn't cut your walkway to formal living.

  • 9 years ago

    The sofa is a tight fit but looks really good! what brand and were did you find it! I love it.

    That being said, have you considered wall sconces on either end of the sofa for reading and viewing at night....you would want the center of the bulb in the sconce at 64 - 66 inches......it need not be a hard wired light fixture. You can find sconces that just plug in, and then attatch cord covers that give the cording a neat look.


    Budget Brickell Apartment · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    If you feel too overwhelmed by creating your own gallery wall, I recommend getting a multi-canvas painting!

    wayfair, overstock, and vvart have a large assortment based on what style of are you prefer.

  • 9 years ago

    Love that fan grover! I may need to buy one for my master bedroom refresh!

  • 9 years ago

    Susan-the sofa is a West Elm Andes. I love it-fits my entire family of four very easily!


    Grover-thank you so much for the visuals (especially with the ceiling fans-I've been trying to figure out what I want there). I am loving the layout of the bottom picture.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would make the picture on fireplace larger with moulding and framing put on wall by couch then add cool white vases on fireplace love your room add pillows in matching colors
  • 9 years ago
    Mirrors, artworks, panels of feature fabrics or chinoiserie patterns, colour, feature wallpaper. Lots of lovely options. I like mirrors as they bounce light around and increase depth. Good luck!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That area looks like a dining area, not a lounge area.

  • 9 years ago
    Beverly-it honestly probably is. This room has a twin on the other side of the entry way which we do have a formal dining room table in. The only difference is a built in cabinet which is why we designated that one as the dining room.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago


    I think you have a lot ot options here and Groveraxle demonstrated several beautiful ones. Here are a few others that I really love 1) make a thin sofa table that runs the width of the wall minus 1 foot for easy entry, next you can use that table as a base for decorative items my suggestions are two tall snake plants one on either corner in rounded square white pots and a large painting in the center to continue the mid-century modern feel or alternatively you can do 2 really tall lamps one each on opposite sides and a painting or photo collage with multiple frames in the center 2) you can paint the wall a bold accent color, white, black or ever wallpaper 3) i did this in my house, I bought three mediumish framed art pieces they're about 16x 20 . each is different but part of the same series. I just spaced them equally apart. Since you have a definitive end to the space if u decide on option 3 you can also paint in a thick band of a complimentary color in the back wall to anchor the pieces and give it more of a focal point. 4) you can make yourself thin wood shelf with a 3 or 4ft tall back, stain it any shade u love then add in a 1/4 foot ledge and 2 inch lip. Nail it to the center of the exposed wall area and you can lean in several small paintings n also hold succulents. and other decorative items. My pictures suck, sorry just want to give you an idea of what I mean.