Software
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_parlett

Small bathroom upgrade help!

9 years ago
I just bought a condo and the bathroom needs to be re-done but on a budget. I hate the horrible yellow walls and the mirror above the toilet. It's all very dated. I am thinking of all white or very light walls, getting the bathtub resurfaced white, updating the tile floor and using an IKEA vanity in white or grey.

Open to ideas and suggestions! The condo will potentially be a rental property down the road.

Would love some suggestions!


Comments (15)

  • 9 years ago

    What is your budget for updates? Are the tiles and tub an almond color? What type of look are you going for?

  • 9 years ago
    $1,500-$2,000 is the most I would like to spend.

    Tub is a cream colour like the toilet. Tile is white-ish.

    Trying to keep it light and bright since it's so small and there isn't a window in the bathroom + low ceiling.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    yes, what's the budget?

    off the bat, remove mirror and perhaps do a wood shiplap over what;s there now. (the reason I mentioned shiplap is because it's simple and will match what is there) You could also do a vinyl beadboard or a drywall. up to you.

    check on craigslist for vanities. Im in so cal and see them all the time for 500-800, with everything included. you can also find people who are remodeling and selling perfectly good vanities for 200 bucks. granite top included. shop around.

    yes you can have tub and even the tile reglazed. prob 400-550 bucks for everything. only lasts a few years before chipping.

    Flooring. again, craigslist. people often sell left over tile or marble for super cheap. worth a shot. I scooped up premium wood flooring from there for half price.

    if you can learn to to DIY anything, you're ahead of the game. watch lots of how to videos.


  • 9 years ago
    Work will all be DYI not using a contractor. Handy family.
  • 9 years ago

    I would spring for a new, white toilet. what in the world is that metal seat cover? eww. just get a newer, more streamlined one. they aren't expensive. get a wax ring gasket. super simple to change out yourself.

  • 9 years ago

    even better. look at Pinterest for budget ideas on bathroom. East Coast Creative did an amazing job with her builder basic for 1000 bucks.

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks Beth!
  • 9 years ago

    I would concentrate on the walls, the vanity and the toilet. I think you should have all the tiles professionally cleaned and the grout lightened and sealed. Then have the tub sprayed if you like. If you leave the tile and work with it, you could probably afford to replace the tub instead. I would replace the toilet with a comfort height elongated bowl with a concealed trapway. Much easier to clean around and the elongated bowls are a bit slimmer so it will be a better fit. The mirror is probably just a sheet mirror that's been framed. Shiplap as Beth mentioned is a good idea to add a little charm to the space. I don't mind the longer counter top because it helps hide the odd little empty space. I would definitely add a pretty vanity with a solid surface top and undermount sink with a new faucet. I would remove the sheet mirror and continue the shiplap on that wall as well. Add a pretty framed mirror and either sconces on either side of the mirror or a pretty wall fixture. Since you probably don't have a lot of storage, I would add a hotel style towel rack to over the toilet to hold extra towels. The door appears to open right on to the tub. If possible, I would consider changing the swing of the door so it opens out instead of in. A new wall color, shower curtain and some pretty accessories and you're on your way. Hope this helps!

  • 9 years ago

    for your remodel I would suggest replacing the toilet with a new, higher and efficient one. replace the vanity with the largest you can fit in the area you have. 2 sinks are nice but one centered on the vanity give a couple their own space either side of it. I would remove the mirror above the toilet for sure and replace it with a picture. since your tile is white I would just regrout in a more current color if the tiles are in good shape. it would be a lot cheaper and easier than retiling. the neutral flooring color and tub could be worked with by finding a coordinating shower curtain. I like having different color towels for each person using the bath and a separate for any guests. cuts down on confusion and brings in more color to the room. all white rooms look great in pictures but color makes a bath less sterile. greens and yellows in a bath just make you look sick, use as accents if you want but not as wall color. i know this is a much grander scale than you have but I also like having separate medicine cabinets.

    Master Bath Retreat · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    If you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore nearby it is worth checking out. They sell donated items usually at very reasonable prices. I've seen carrara marble and granite topped vanities, tile and other building materials -- sometimes the materials are even brand new.

  • 9 years ago

    don't buy Ikea vanity, doesn't resists moisture. My own experience

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Please show us the before and after of this bathroom.

    So much potencial.

    John

    shine rugs

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would defiantly get rid of the mirror over the toilet. Looks very old. Concentrate on the vanity, toilet and paint. If you have enough in your budget I would get artwork to put above the toilet. You could also add more shelves where you have the yellow towels. There are DIY ideas on Pinterest.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!