Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joebates100

LATEX MATTRESS DILEMMA

6 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with Northwest Bedding Pinnacle 2000 Latex mattresses? I am looking at one of these and can't find any information on the manufacturer or comparisons to main stream brands. I have already tried and returned a Simmons Beauty Rest Black Luxury Firm mattress as after one night, I was awoken by pain in my left hip. The memory foam had flattened out and left me sleeping on something very hard (springs?)

I have only found one brand of Latex mattress in my area, but I would like more information if anyone has any experience with this company and their mattresses.

Thanks

Joe

Comments (13)

• PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Their is not a whole lot of rocket science behind latex and producing latex foam. Their has been steady improvements over the years. But still pure latex is what you want and not a layered mix of conventional polyurethane with latex. Its ok to mix springs and latex or air and latex. Still latex is latex, if it produced here in US or Europe or Asia. An all latex mattress can be compressed and rolled into a shippable product. Once its opened, it quickly gains back its previous state. Unlike any other type of mattress. Thus the popularity of online latex mattress stores.

JMHO, their is no better more comfortable mattress than a 100% pure latex with a firmer latex core with layers of softer latex plus the quilted latex top. But a all latex mattress is HEAVY, and requires some extra helping hands to move or flip.

• 6 years ago

thanks so much. I will check to see if the Latex in this brand is 100% natural latex and not a blend. I will also check the weight of the mattress. Thanks for the heads up on that front.

• 6 years ago

Buy a TempurPedic and you'll never go back. They come in all price ranges and sizes. Find the one that works for you. :)

• 6 years ago

Ruthdanila: Can I ask if your latex mattresses were dunlop, natural latex, synthetic latex or blended latex? I know memory foam sinks in but I somehow thought latex was less prone to that. I was hoping latex was less prone to the whole sinking in thing.

Thanks so much for your comment

Joe

• PRO
    6 years ago

I am very surprised "ruthdanila" that your first impression of a latex mattress was just that: too much impression! Of all the years of sleeping on latex and offering latex cushions, I have never once heard of any latex loosing any of its resiliency even after many years, let alone in one week. Must be some other contributing factor.

joebates100 thanked iCustomSofa
  • 6 years ago

My mattresses have all been natural latex. I am waiting for delivery of a firm Dunlop mattress and am hoping the extra firmness will help. I tried Zenhaven initially- whom I would definitely avoid- even their delivery guys were dismayed at the dip in the mattress already when they dropped it off! We even re-built the bottom of our bed frame with 3/4 inch plywood and 15 feet to support the plywood- instead of the original 5 feet. No luck. We then tried a beefed up box spring- still sagging. I have to say that we are working now with a mattress company in San Diego called Mattress Makers. We are still having some sagging issues (but not like with Zen Haven!) and they are working hard to resolve them. I am very impressed with their customer service. They told me no matter what they want us to be happy and keep switching out mattress tops for us. They custom make almost exclusively latex mattresses and as I said before, we are hoping the firmer Dunlop will not sag on us this time. Fingers crossed because I really like this company. It's three brothers. Sam is the one helping us and he is great. Also, in case you are wondering if its a weight issue....I weigh 130 pounds and my husband weighs 175 pounds....

joebates100 thanked ruthdanila
  • 6 years ago

Thanks Ruthdanila. I called the company that makes the bed I was looking at. It is 20%natural talalay latex 80% synthetic latex. The construction is as follows: 1 1/2 inch base foam, 6 inch core talalay, 2 inch 24 ILD talalay middle and 2 inches of 14 ILD talalay latex on top. Their firmer mattress has a 28 ILD 2 inch latex on top. This is covered by a quilted top. More than I thought I would ever know about a mattress! They say it shouldn't sag more than 1/2 inch if that. I may just have to take the plunge! Thanks for your input. ILD is Indentation Load Deflection. High numbers are firmed and lower numbers softer.

Joe

• 6 years ago

Good Luck! I'd love to know how it goes.

• 6 years ago

Joebates100 and ruthdanila, can you post updates on your mattresses? I’m shopping for a new mattress and would like to know what you ended up with and why. Thanks.

• 6 years ago

Hi Joe, in response to your question, I went with Mattress Makers in San Diego. I had to go with their firm mattress as all of the others sagged right away. I believe it was a Dunlap firm. We worked with Sam, one of the owners . He was great as we returned 3 mattresses. Call Sam and ask him what John and Ruth from Cardiff bought. He'll be able to help you. Don't get any of the other mattresses as they are too soft and they sag . Also, never get memory foam. There are too many chemicals and will not give you a healthy nights sleep no matter what the companies advertise. Good Luck!

• 6 years ago

Thanks ruthdanila. I’m definitely not interested in any of the foam mattresses. Specifically because of the chemicals and the many comments about them sagging.

• 6 years ago

Glad to hear it. So many people sleep on memory foam and wonder why they are achey, sick, or tired when they get up. Its also best to tear clear of any metal springs...