Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onwinni

Marvin venting picture windows not venting

onwinni
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have installed several large Marvin venting picture windows but very little air is coming through, even though we have large casements near them. Any advice?

Comments (12)

• millworkman
    6 years ago

These do only open a small amount so you must have cross ventilation for them to work best. Casements nearby may not do it, as it sound like you are finding out.

• onwinni
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for responding. The need for proper cross ventilation from the correct distance is crucial, apparently. This wan't made clear to us, nor was there an effort to assess the effectiveness of the venting window in our proposed installation. We understood that you wouldn't feel an actual breeze through the venting window but you would feel air flow. There is absolutely NOTHING that comes through even when the wind is blowing outside and two huge casements that are adjacent to the venting windows are open. Buyers should be alerted to this scenario and, ideally, Marvin should help the customer assess the effectiveness of the venting window in specific installations so that they are worth the very high cost. Buyer beware.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

So do you require some passive ventilation or are you trying to feel a breeze through it? Based on Marvin's description that MWM posted, it appears that they will provide some of the former but none of the latter.

• PRO
    Two Storey Building
    5 years ago

I'm curious is anyone has seen problems with the screening in the corners. We just installed one and there are gaps the size of a nail head in the corners where bugs could get in. Is this typical? Are there any solutions to the problem?

• millworkman
    5 years ago

I would contact the dealer you purchased them from. It has been years since I have dine residential but I do not recall anything like that being normal.

• PRO
    Marvin
    5 years ago

Two Storey Building, just seeing your feedback now, but know we would be happy to assist you if you haven't already reached a resolution with your dealer. Please contact our service team by phone at1-888-537-7828 or by email at https://www.marvin.com/contact-us. Thanks very much.

• Jennifer Washburn
    2 years ago

Completely dissapointed with Marvins vented picture window. What a waste of money! Only opens the slightest crack and we also have large gaps in the so called ”screen”.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    2 years ago

Jennifer - Sorry for your disappointment about the product. I have some experience with the venting picture window and was warned about the minimal opening and the need for cross ventilation and make any of my clients aware of that. A term we use is "manage expectations".

Did you discuss your expectations prior to purchase? It is a minimal upcharge from a stationary picture window of the same size if that is any consolation.

• PRO
    Marvin
    2 years ago

@Jennifer Washburn, we are very sorry to hear about your experience and would welcome the opportunity to discuss it further with you. If you'd like, please send us a direct message here on Houzz with your preferred contact information, we'd like to connect with you right away. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

I love it when the manufactures decide to step in.

• B Smith
    2 years ago

Hell yeah buddy…