Software
Houzz Logo Print
marjorie_armand

light replacement above fireplace

9 years ago
Sorry for the streaky mirror, but I recently moved here and have an odd light placement above the fireplace. What kind of light is usually hung here?

Comments (17)

  • 9 years ago

    God, that's ugly. I don't mean the light itself--that's a matter of taste. But ceiling-mounted lights are the worst! Look at those nasty, harsh shadows; that's typical of such lights.

    If you keep a light there, I'd make it large and diffuse, so that it glows softly and dimly, with no points of light that cause the harshness.

    Me? I'd get rid of it. I never turn on overhead lights in my house.

  • 9 years ago
    Good point- I do have a lamp, but need another light too. Maybe a flushmount or actually semiflush would work there (the beam takes up some space).
  • 9 years ago
    Yup, replace the ceiling fixture with something less harsh, and remove the mirror from above the fireplace. Nobody needs that much mirror. Once you can see what's behind the mirror, we can help you with ideas for updating that whole wall.
  • 9 years ago
    That is scarry because it is glued I think and goes around the side too. I wish it was just all brick. I would need a professional to remove it and then I do not even know what to do with it. The lady who I bought it from says it is just dry wall back there.
  • 9 years ago
    Also- no matter what I do, that mirror never stays clean looking, but just removing it and fixing and painting the dry wall is not really exciting enough to really work on it...unless you guys have other ideas.
  • 9 years ago
    That mirror is scary, I'd stand back and throw something at it lol. So many great options to be had
  • 9 years ago
    So give me some....please!
  • 9 years ago
    Ummmmmm, you could just frame over the mirror with timber or there is the peel and stick wallpaper that looks like timber to go over mirror. I have used something similar on a bookcase and everyone thought it was distressed timber not wallpaper. A thought perhaps until you decide in the future what you may do. How close to the mirror is that light
  • 9 years ago
    Ditch the light and the amateurish DIY mantel.
  • 9 years ago
    I love that first picture you posted. Fantastic, thanks.
  • 9 years ago
    The light is very close to it as the picture shows.
  • 9 years ago

    Try Sprayway foamy glass cleaner on the mirror, applied with paper towels, not cleaning cloths. Smells awful, works extremely well.

    For the light, look at ($100 and under) very simple flush mount or semiflushmount fixtures. If you will be hiring an electrician after you remove the mirror, that would be a good time to install an LED track lighting fixture that will illuminate the future artwork and two corners of the room.

  • 9 years ago

    I think the light was probably originally for art hung over the mantel, but both the current fixture and the mirror have taken things far away from that. You could go down to a single light, if you get rid of the mirror, or just have that one capped and do more general lighting farther out into the room, whether a broad flush-mount fixture or some track lighting heads hung from the beams...

  • 9 years ago

    That mirror is all wrong. Look at what it reflects--nothing! Just an uninteresting ceiling. A mirror should be used only when there is something worth looking at to be reflected.

    Take the mirror out. It's probably stuck on with a few big dots of mastic--that's the usual way. It's not clues solid across the whole surface. A glass company can do it easily. There'll be a bit of patching to do, but it will be a big, quick improvement.

  • 9 years ago
    There is some art work on the other side above the sofa that it reflects, but that angle that I shot the picture with is bad. My concern is what do I do with it after the mirror is removed...more art lol...another smaller mirror....planks of wood? It is hard to justify it until there is a good plan.
  • 9 years ago
    And that mirror is so long. I like the wood plank idea...but such a long area. Would it look odd??