Shop Products
angieeb

Should we eliminate the tub in Master Bath?

We are planning to renovate our 1980s home and want to remove the existing soaker tub; it takes up so much of the space and we only take showers. We really don't have the room to do a separate shower and a tub so we are weighing just putting in a large walk in shower with multiple heads, sprays, etc. We're also toying with the idea of including the toilet in the shower area (more open w/o pony wall/partition and easier to clean)

We do have a second bathroom with a tub/shower combo for guests (and if we ever really wanted a bath). I'd just like to hear some feedback since I'm wondering if it would seriously hurt our resale- I don't personally know many people who still take baths but that doesn't mean people don''t still expect both in a master bath. Thoughts?

I've linked some photos of what we are thinking for inspiration and layout -our existing toilet would be in the left corner facing into the room (shower on left when seated)

Stevenson Bath, Castle Design · More Info

The Ridgeline · More Info

Bouldin Creek Residence · More Info

Here's a couple of showers with the toilet included:

Ecologia Montreal · More Info

Modern White Spa Bath · More Info

• 6 years ago

I believe the latest polls show that it is probably better for resale if you have at least one tub. Since you do then I would definitely remove the second one in the master.

angieeb thanked phuninthesun
  • 6 years ago

I agree remove the tub. We are shower people also. I am understanding correctly that you want to put the toilet in shower? If so don't do that, who wants to use a wet toilet and who wants to dry off everything after ever shower.

angieeb thanked functionthenlook
  • 6 years ago
    Toilet in the shower area is a little strange. If there is no door to the shower then great but the glass doors on showers are heavy and need to be closed with care. I can not imagine trying to do that in the middle of the night. Eliminating the tub is great if you do not like tubs and that can afford you a larger shower enclosure.
    angieeb thanked elfin2265
  • 6 years ago

Great point- no one wants to sit on a wet toilet..and my husband would also think spraying me would be funny.

To be practical- I could use one of the 2 other bathrooms but...for resale it might look too weird/ be a deal breaker for most people.

The existing shower and toilet are in a separate 6'x6' room which open onto our master bedroom and mirror the door into our walk-in closet. Between is an 8 ft double vanity against the back wall in our huge master bedroom (why was it ever a trend to put vanities in the master?) We would like to enclose the entire bathroom so that it's separate from the bedroom but I worry the shower would feel too narrow if we put up a glass partition between the toilet/shower. The existing drain is almost 6 feet from the wall (next to the door). We have a one story slab on grade home- so moving the drain would mean jackhammer the floor...unless I could figure out how to make a trench style drain work to tie into the existing location.

I also have an 80's house. spare bath has a tub. We enlarged and completely redid our master bath (it's under my name "bath redo"). had room for a tub, but I never take baths and it would have been another 8-10K. I don't really care if the next buyers like taking baths. I'm living in the house now and put in what I wanted.

you should do the same.

• 6 years ago
    Just did this for an awesome 2 person shower (but no pony wall, the toilet is behind a full all that is part of the shower wall. Don't miss the tub at all - have one in the guest bathroom.
  • 6 years ago

It would help tremendously if you could post pictures of the existing layout with a floor plan and measurements. Count me in as someone who would not consider a master with a toilet in the shower.

• 6 years ago

I did not think that the OP actually meant that the toilet would be " in the shower"! I figured that she means it would not be in a separate " compartment"?

I take a bath 365 nights a year. I would not buy a home that did not have a tub in the master bath. I realize that I am in the minority.

• 6 years ago

I think most people most often take showers but still expect to see a tub in a master bath when buying and don't really see a tub in another bathroom an appealing alternative but I also agree with the concept of creating what works best for you.

I designed and built a home for us with a luxury bathroom and I put the electrical and plumbing into the space in case anyone wanted one in the future. We just had a shower. Sold it fast, but those folks planned to put a tub in and squeezed us on price as a negotiating tool. They never put a tub into the master bath. When they put it up for sale, the real estate agent convinced them they had to have a tub. They called me and I managed the installation of a tub and knew exactly which piece of marble flooring had to be removed. They sold it in about a month. I tell this story to say, if you decide to not install a tub, you might want to plan ahead and put the needed outlet for a whirlpool type tub in and get the plumbing done to support a later install. It doesn't cost hardly anything when you are doing the remodel. I wouldn't put a tub in as long as you have another one in another bathroom.

angieeb thanked Flo Mangan
  • 6 years ago
    This is what I am thinking for the layout
  • 6 years ago
    Move the wall back
  • 6 years ago

Agree with moving the wall....

I would rather have a fabulous bathroom than a larger bedroom.

• 6 years ago
    As long as you have one tub, don't worry about resale. We redid the master bath and replaced a huge jetted tub we never once used in 12 years for a big glass enclosed steam shower. Looks great and enjoy it every day!
  • 6 years ago
    I would move the wall closer to the window in the master bedroom. Also what is the second door about in the bathroom?
  • 6 years ago
    I think it's ok to get rid of the tub but I would want a door for the toilet area- no pony wall!
  • 6 years ago

One tub in the house (for bathing children and pets) is aplenty -- most adults usually prefer a shower to sitting in their own dirty water. The toilet needs privacy.

• 6 years ago
    The second door in the bathroom (left wall) is the entrance to our walk in closet. My husband wanted to move the wall as well- but I had three concerns:
    First, the three large windows will no longer be centered on that wall- is that going to look weird?
    Next, we are going to have to tear up more of our expensive wood flooring (it currently covers all floors except the toilet/shower area. I plan to tile the entire bathroom floor).
    Finally, with the layout I suggested, we would not have to relocate the toilet, shower drain or lavatory- how much extra would moving the toilet be in a concrete slab foundation? I do agree a bigger bath is nice but I don't want to blow the budget on the bathroom at the expense of renovating our kitchen (which is the next project on the list).

I could add a soaker tub if I decrease the length of the lavatories, what are your opinions on a larger shared sink with 2 faucets? I'll post a Houzz pic to demonstrate what I mean shortly.

Thank you everyone for your input
  • 6 years ago

In lieu of a wall, maybe something like this? You'd save some space. And, unless you are the kind of couple that gets up in the morning at exactly the same time and goes to bed at the same time, uses the sink at the same time, and the toilet, I wouldn't worry about having two faucets/sinks and toilet stall. Do the soaker tub if you must, but I agree with suezbell above...most adults take showers (especially as they age and climbing in and out of a deep soaker tub is physically demanding, not to mention a real slip and fall hazard). You'll save space and money for that kitchen remodel. Good luck!

Our Work · More Info

angieeb thanked Karen
  • 6 years ago

Your first sketch gave you a too-tight toilet spacing (code) and cramped shower (comfort). I'd move the wall to improve both.

angieeb thanked acm
  • 6 years ago

Hmm- Good point about code requirements- I hadn't even thought of that since my sketch didn't change the location of either the existing toilet or existing shower/tub combo, but rather am just turning the tub footprint into a shower with a glass-wall shower enclosure. I'll have to look into it before we finalize the layout.

• 6 years ago

You need 30 inches of clearance for the toilet-15" from the center to any solid object-in your case the wall and the shower. 32" is a bit more comfortable if it's possible.

• 6 years ago
    One tub in a house is good for resale. And one great awesome master bathroom with a new updated shower is also very good for resale. It's a win/win.
  • 6 years ago

Should you find it's reasonable to relocate the toilet, ("reasonable" being subjective, of course), what about moving the closet door to be inside the bedroom (same wall) and having the vanity on the same wall inside, the shower on the opposite wall, and the toilet in between the two (door in the middle)? I don't really like a view of a toilet, but I think in this case it makes the most sense. You would get a spacious shower (and the glass will cost you less because it's just along one wall), two sinks, and plenty of breathing room.

Or keep the toilet where it is, switch location of sinks and shower, but still have entrance door in the middle of the room, shower can take up the whole left side.

Either way, I see relocating the closet door to inside the MB will give you the space you need

angieeb thanked User
  • 6 years ago
    No toilet in the shower.

I feel very neutral about bath vs shower for resale. I always shower (I rarely take a bath). When designing our new build, I struggled with this choice.... delete tub or have both in the master. I ended up putting a small 5 ft freestanding tub and a 5ft x 3 ft shower. I'll never use the tub. I only added it for resale. If I had my time back, I'd design a better shower and skip the tub.
  • 6 years ago

Thank you Karen- love it! That is EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing with our bathroom door. To answer you, no my husband and I usually don't use the bathroom at the same time. I really don't see the purpose of a toilet stall with another door- I want an open spacious feel, not a bunch of doors.

I am happy with just a well appointed shower- we can get a nice soaker tub for the guest room (since my kids primarily use that tub anyway).

• 6 years ago

Regarding the toilet in a ´closet'/ separate room in bathroom, I only like this option if there is a small window in there. If not, if feels like a cave to me.

• 6 years ago

We have a separate loo room in our master bathroom. People seem to want that in the Houzz community and I don't get it. Having had four kids, I want the whole bathroom to myself....Everyone else can go find another sink or shower...I deserve the space.

I hope you make a luxurious spa-like feel for yourself...

• 6 years ago

I have mine behind a wall in the back of the bathroom, its private enough. I don't understand a closet in a bathroom, put in a can fan above the toilet that comes on with the light and you'll be home free, no issues with odors and no noise either.

• 6 years ago

My opinion because I had that bathroom before, you NEVER have privacy in the bathroom and the noise of getting ready when the other person wants to sleep will be awful. Think about it. You also loose all your wallspace for a TV or fireplace.

Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars154 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource