Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lstabach

Countertop to go with busy floor

Lisa Lisa
6 years ago
Was all set to go with Cambria Berkeley as my counter top and large island but now thinking it's too busy and clashes with my floor. The floor is darker than the pictures, coming up lighter in the photo.
Please help.

Comments (32)

• PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    6 years ago
    I don't think they clash at all, they all look lovely together!
  • Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    I think it will be just fine, your floors aren't too busy
  • Lisa Lisa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The island is doubling as my dining room table, so it will be 72x46. I saw a small piece and liked it a lot but the bigger piece may be overwhelming. Not too much? I've made a couple of mistakes with this kitchen reno already, I'm just not sure. Then what would backsplash be??
  • Logan Wolverine
    6 years ago
    I like that funiture
    And the house that have a mondern house
  • Lisa Lisa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That looks very close to the Berkeley. I'm getting cold feet, is it too much movement with the floor?
  • Lisa Lisa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    No it doesn't have to be Cambria. Any granite suggestions welcome also. Thanks.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 years ago

Your choices are fine together. You've chosen tone on tone. Not a problem. I like a bit more contrast between the elements. So long as the floors are darker than what is being shown, then the floors will be your contrast. Your cabs + counter will then be tone-on-tone.

The movement in the stone will actually blend in to form a single "look". To see this, you want to stand 10 feet back from the counter top. This will offer the way the counter will "read". The colours themselves will be fine.

• Lisa Lisa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Cancork, thank you. What contrast would you choose?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

i don't mind them together. have you see large slabs of your choice? in person? Or at least in pictures here on Houzz? I just don't want you to be surprised. the tones are perfect. perhaps if you think it's too much, maybe go w/a solid color just on the island?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

here it is in a far busier kitchen that what you have. maybe these will help

the last pic is gorgeous and prob closest to your cabs. I like how they paired it w/the travertine splash.

• Lisa Lisa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth these are helpful. Thank you. Yes I've seen a full slab, and I loved it.
  • Lisa Lisa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth, I got cold feet when I brought a 12x12 piece home!!. It is overwhelming for me to only see a half finished project. I am not thrilled with my kitchen reno after much planning. (It wasn't enough I guess. I may be ripping half of it out new thread to come.)
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

really? what do you think you missed? If you love the countertop, (and it looks really nice in the above pic) I think it goes perfectly w/what you have. you can bring in some contrast w/backsplash tile if you choose, or other items. I don't know what the kitchen looks like so can't advise you well!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If you're NOT thrilled now, you might want to post a picture. A 12 inch sample and a single cabinet, does not a kitchen make.

Personally I LOATHE these overdone splashes with busy granites. ( second pic above makes my eyes bleed) The last pic? Filled with light and air, and a peaceful environment in a very busily functioning room. Decide WHAT you want to star in the kitchen. And how you want it to feel every morning.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

yes Jan, exactly. I wanted to show her that pic so she could see what a 'busy' countertop/cabinet/splash/flooring combo really looked like.

• PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    6 years ago
    You won't be disappointed with the Cambria product for sure! I've got Berwyn in my kitchen and 3 years in, wouldn't change a thing! It has a gold vein in it, but is much lighter than the one you chose. Maybe have a look at that sample? We paired it with a matte finished textured whitish subway tile. Also still,loving that. The texture of it is gorgeous, very subtle.
  • Lisa Lisa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I picked those tiles in taupe!!!
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 years ago

Personally I like a stronger colour on the counter top. To me it is all wishy-washy taupe on taupe on taupe. Or I like a strong floor with white on white. Or I like a dark floor + light cabs + dark counter!

I try to avoid matching the wall colours of the DMV ("Banger Sisters"). Taupe+taupe+taupe doesn't hold my interest for long. It is merely an updated version of the 'brown blahs' we see being ripped out at a record setting pace! Good luck. Try to add some STRONG colour (kinda like a good shot of espresso to start your day!).

• dkoebke
    6 years ago
    Just to throw out how I solved the same problem - leathered uba tuba. I never would have thought of it, but it was suggested granite shop. It isn't finished yet, and it is a small condo, I love the way it looks with the white cabinets and stainless.
  • lwfromny
    6 years ago
    I think Jan has the right direction - a less densely patterned countertop will work better. I think the sample you have just looks muddy and makes the floor look the same.
  • Lisa Lisa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    So less densely patterned and darker color, is that what you all are saying?
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

You don't want mud! Try as I said above.i

It need NOT be dark. You need to drag home some solid darks..... ! But first decide the feel you want I the entire kitchen on a whole. Nothing lives in isolation :)

• Lisa Lisa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Jan, the working kitchen is a U shape. This is one side of it. The sink side has to be redone, as I have a symmetry issue that has to be fixed. I have an island that will double as my dining room table. No eat in kitchen. Thanks for your input. As soon as this rain lets up I'll take a cabinet door to the granite yard. Maybe something will pop. I like light and airy, my home is small.
  • PRO
    NAK Cabinetry
    6 years ago

Being that you fancy light and airy, why not consider a more white based countertop? Especially in the U-shaped kitchen where it is more closed in and your eye sees lots of counter surface at once. Not a bad thing to shop around for...love your flooring though! You've got good bones to work with. :)

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    Look at quartzite. I used a honed sea pearl but there are others that I think you will like better than granite.
  • Christy Reves
    6 years ago

The overall look appears to be taupe. I think you will be happier down the road with something you love up front. The granite is beautiful but you will be locked in to a color scheme that has limited options of wall color and decor. I agree with others that a quartzite would look nice. If you are set on granite I might suggest one with some gold or yellow in it or warmer colors to afford greater flexibility in future decor. Love each element individually. Go with what speaks to you. Good luck.

• Lisa Lisa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate all the comments.
    The Cambria Berkeley was my first choice. It is quartz. I like the colors there. Many here don't care for it in my kitchen bc its tone on tone. I get that. I'm just not sure what my final "look" or vision is here yet. I do know that I like a romantic theme. I'm hoping to get some of that in pretty lighting and kitchen knobs
    In here.
    As for the counter, My husband likes the antico Labrador which is granite and darker. It's the last picture. Cambria Berkeley quartz is the first. I'm indecisive!!
  • DCF-Z6A
    5 years ago
    What did you end up doing?
  • Gena Mistretta
    2 years ago

I am wondering what you did as well...I have a very busy floor that had to be "settled on" due to water damage and nothing was avaialble during COVID in 2020. Now I have this floor, that is very veiny LVT, but I want the Berwyn countertop, but they are both incredibly busy.

• User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I went w the Berkeley, it flows perfectly. The colors are calm and soothing and its easy to find complementing items. We made a 54 x 48 island with overhang on both sides; we are able to get 10 stools around the table.

• User
    2 years ago

Gene Mistretta, send a pic of your floor please