Software
Houzz Logo Print
rrmsca

Paint my front door?

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I have a split level home and wanting to decorate my home and make it my "own". I've purchased a sun mirror, shoe cabinet and some shelving and it seems like it's all coming together. The current question is, should I paint my front door or should i purchase a new one.



Comments (24)

  • 9 years ago
    Definitely paint it!
  • 9 years ago

    Interior or exterior or both?

  • 9 years ago

    I would like to paint both interior and exterior but I am open to any ideas anyone passes my way :)

  • 9 years ago
    Here's a photo of my entry way. Excuse the mess on the floor.

    This entry way rug is also temporary. It's a commercial rug that i need to get rid of.
  • 9 years ago
    I am not certain if I should keep the shoe cabinet over the carpet but I like it because it keeps the dirt off the hardwood. We don't wear shoes inside the home.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    You have white woodwork so I think I would leave it matching woodwork. Any color would make it stick out in a unpleasant way. I like the mirror, but I think art would be better choice in that location. I would worry every time that door opened it would hit it or just wall vibrations would giggle it loose. A wrapped painting would be great there. Are you painting walls?
  • 9 years ago

    Have you thought about painting the inside of the door the same color as the walls? Leave the trim as is. And as far as the outside door color, possibly pick out one of the colors in your brick and match paint to that. Or paint it the same color as the siding that is above the brick. Either will make it look more cohesive.

    rrmsca thanked mjconti
  • 9 years ago

    Also, the cabinet in your entry to the left of the door is too close to the door; there isn't enough room. It looks congested. I can see bumping into it when opening the door from the inside.

  • 9 years ago

    @flo mangen & @marilynjoc,

    I am not really a fan of art work and i put a mirror there b/c when i run out the house every morning i like to see if i look okay before stepping out. I originally wanted to put a full length mirror there. I tested out the door when it's wide open or swung open and it does not hit the mirror.

    My home isn't too big, it's approx 1,500sq ft total. The walk in floor is the living room, kitchen and EIK (no dining room).

    Here is a floor plan of my first floor.

    Looking at the picture, the front entrance, the window to the right has a long heater in-front. Right now I have a 3 seat couch blocking that heater (since it's not winter). I don't think I can keep my couch blocking the heater during the winter.

    My kitchen is currently a light blue color.



    I never thought about painting the inside of the door the same color as the inside walls. We bought the home like this so i can go to the store and see if they can match the color.

    The shoe cabinet is kind of close to the door and we can push it back a little but since the 3 seat couch is there and the TV is against the wall it would be too close to the TV. So far the only issue i've had was if my bag is in my left hand then it hits the shoe cabinet but that's rare.



  • 9 years ago

    It looks like a mid century ranch house. I don't think the oval window is working so I'd replace the door. Paint the new door white on the inside.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm not crazy about the door with the oval glass and faux stained glass. Doesn't go with the house, IMO, so if you can afford a new, more modern door, go for it. They're way more expensive than paint, though.

  • 9 years ago

    What type of door do you recommend?

  • 9 years ago

    Doors are relatively expensive, especially if you had not planned to buy a new one and it isn't in your current budget. And you might need to hire someone to hang it for you. I noticed that you have a storm door too. It can be painted. So if you decide to paint the outside of your existing front door, you can paint the storm door the same color. I think painting the door a deep color would distract from the oval window others have posted they don't think it goes with your style of house. And I still like the idea of painting the inside of the door to match your walls to soften the look, instead of leaving it white! I think you'll like it. And if you change your wall color, paint the door the same color too!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Your current front door is dating your home. I recommend replacing it. If you do decide to paint it, make sure you don't paint when it is too hot or too cold. Painting a metal door in these conditions is disastrous!

  • 9 years ago

    If the current door is dating the home, what style of door do other readers/responders recommend, of course keeping in mind the style of the home? It looks like a traditional ranch.

  • 9 years ago
    I would replace the door. Oval windows in doors rarely reference anything else about the house. It was a ten-minute trend at some point in the past. Your door should relate to the style of the house. If you show us your house, we can suggest some doors for you to choose from.
  • 9 years ago
    I mean the whole facade of the house, please.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Marilyn, can you add a picture that shows the outside of your whole house and your budget? That would help me recommend a front door.

  • 9 years ago

    I like your new mirror:)

    Black?

    Turquoise?

  • 9 years ago

    Maybe a simple door with no widow, & no curvy lines; you have enough light coming in the living room window so it isn't a dark entryway. And you have a glass storm door so you can open your door and see who is at the door through the storm door. or through the living room window. A knocker on the outside of the new door to break up the plainness; it would give it a traditional vibe. If you prefer a door with some kind of window, there are doors with rectangular shaped windows across the top. Do you have an attached garage with a garage door that has windows? That should be a consideration. As far as painting the door's outside, I'd like to see a color repeated from your brick (rusty red?).

  • 9 years ago

    You should paint it, it will give the house a little bit more curb appeal!

  • 9 years ago

    I think you should paint it all throughout to make it looks better. Just a light colored paint will do.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you all for the options! I am going to purchase a new door (after we insulate and repaint)!

    What types of door should i purchase? I am 100% not a designer and It's hard for me to determine designs. I am open to anything!