Software
Houzz Logo Print
susshakeri

New kitchenaid refrigerator nightmare and warning to others

9 years ago

I bought a new Kitchenaid refrigerator model KRFF507ESS on 4/21/17 at Pacific Sales in San Jose. We also purchased the extended warranty through Pacific Sales in Best Buy the same day. Today, our refrigerator is 4 months old. The refrigerator is broken, no ice, the freezer doesn't freeze and all my food is spoiled. I have now been without a working refrigerator for a week. Whirlpool fixed it this week and now it's broken again. Not only is it broken, but it makes a very loud humming/buzzing sound. Whirlpool (manufacturer of kitchenaid) won't replace my refrigerator and I have to wait until next week for yet another repair. I am not eligible for an exchange or refund after 4 months, I was told. Pacific Sales also said I was not eligible for an exchange or refund. They further commented that they were sorry I was disappointed., but they can't offer me anything more. My daughter is on medication that needs to be refrigerated with a temperature range of 36-46 degrees. Whirlpool knows this information, yet they will not help me to get a reliable, working refrigerator that I desperately need. Please research before you buy any appliance. What we are experiencing is apparently not uncommon. I will never buy another #kitchenaid or #whirlpool product ever again! Nor will I buy through #Pacificsales.

Comments (18)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I have a KitchenAid refrigerator that's 19 years 10 months old, no repairs for the duration. I know that doesn't reflect on current products but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another KA (or Whirlpool) product.

  • 9 years ago

    We just went through a big issue with our Elux induction range and had a solid month of a non-working stove. That was a pain but nothing like what you're experiencing with medication needs. When we told Elux we were contacting our state attorney general consumer affairs division they suddenly approved us for a new unit. Hopefully you've been keeping records of who you talk to and when, repair attempts and results, extended warranty details and lack of help - get it all together and ready to put into a detailed report, then contact KitchenAid and let them know. Maybe they'll get it together then. Best of luck - customer service is a thing of the past.

    susshakeri thanked DLM2000-GW
  • 9 years ago

    Sorry you are going through this. Appliances are just not made like they were and within that you can get a lemon in any brand. Have you tried commenting on their Facebook page about your experience and frustration? Agree with DLM2000 too. You need to use every resource you have. Do you have a local TV station that has a consumer reporter to help with issues. We do and often see stories like this where they contact the company for the individual and get great results.

    susshakeri thanked maries1120
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    My goodness. This is really terrible.

  • 9 years ago

    Nowadays having a 15 year old $50 frig off CL that always works is part of the requirement for buying a new one. I'm shopping half-heartedly for a new frig. But I'm not in a hurry because everything's in the garage one.

  • 9 years ago

    At the very least, get a small dorm size refrig so you can keep the medication at the proper temp. I had to buy a countertop induction unit just so I could make an egg in the morning. You can probably find one used on Cragslist for very little $.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you so much for all of your comments. We did end up buying a small refrigerator last Sunday. Although it's an unknown brand, it has stayed cooler than my 4 momth old Kitchenaid has ever been. . It's not big enough to accommodate enough food for a family of 5, but it is keeping my daughter's medicine at the proper temperature and that's all that matters.

    I have an update since my last post. Although Whirlpoool and Pacific Sales said that I was not eligible for an exchange, I was able to find someone at the corporate office of Best Buy who sounds like he will help me get what I need... a reliable refrigerator. It hasn't happened yet, but it sounds promising. I will keep you updated.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Have you looked into Lemon Laws in your state? I thought all new appliances came with one year warranty. I hope you get resolution soon!

    Edited to add --- good to know how Best Buy handles these problems. I won't buy any appliances from them in the near future.

  • 8 years ago

    I live in Florida and am now experiencing the same nightmare as this person did. I bought two brand new houses by the same builder who put in KitchenAid appliances. Not only has my own Kitchenaid Frig failed but also my rental next door. A friend who bought from the same builder has so far had a failed dishwasher and Frig.

    I will agree with you that Kitchenaid warranty center is just worthless as all they do is recite a script of how sorry they are the appliance is broken and we will send a tech out to fix...in a week. But their only authorized repair company Flamingo Appliance repair must hire some real special people because the same tech kept calling me claiming he would not come out because ticket information from Kitchenaid was missing. Or I had to be there to pay him. This went on for two weeks with first a call to worthless Kitchenaid always on hold or disconnected service where another ticket would be created and Flamingo would be dispatched out to repair. Second then I would get a call from their brain dead tech who refused to listen to me as the customer and just kept repeating he would not come out because the ticket did not contain who would pay for it. By my fourth call back to Kitchenaid I asked that they give me a supervisor to escalate the issue with Flamingo and the warranty person said "No all we can do is create a new ticket". Terrible customer service on both sides. The tech finally shows up after we sent them a note on FB and claimed the filtered water and ice maker issue was resolved. Only to find out 30 minutes it was not and again the scramble with Flamingo to contact the tech to go back to the house to resolve. Flamingo said well all we can do "is schedule another visit" if he does not call us. Maddening and terrible service.

  • 7 years ago

    We purchased a kitchen aid refrigerator about 2 and a half years ago and this is the second time it needs to be repaired. It has been a nightmare dealing with kitchen aid but I do have to give Kudos to Appliance Alley in San Diego for helping us get it repaired the first time. I hope they help us out again. BTW it was same problem as the last time, ice maker stops working then refrigerator doesn’t stay cold. Looks like the parts only work for one year.


  • 7 years ago

    I've had good luck with Amana for refrig, and KA for DW. No icemaker for the fridge, and that was deliberate. Whirlpool sources the cheapest IMs, and they're the biggest complaint on new fridges.

    One thing: we have a lot of voltage fluctuations on our lines, and a surge suppressor was recommended. Yes, there are computer chips in your fridge, too - even simple ones. Amazon sells one (you might be able to find it at your local hardware store, but I wasn't successful) specifically for appliances. Note it sticks out from the wall so you will need an extra inch measuring from the outlet, outwards.

  • 7 years ago

    Whirlpool bought the Servel (gas) refrigerator company in 1958 and got Servel's crescent-cubes automatic ice maker mechanism in the deal which they incorporated into their units. Other brands essentially copied that design.

  • 6 years ago

    I am having the exact problem now! I was told that the unit is a lemon but they will do nothing to help. How can we start a group complaint??? Lawsuit?

  • 6 years ago

    I am actually the one who started this post 2 years ago. I forgot to reply here what the outcome was to my situation.

    I escalated my issue and didn’t give up. Pacific Sales actually came through for us. We did buy a small refrigerator from them to put in our garage while this was in dispute, so we had a working refrigerator for my daughter’s medication. Pacific Sales allowed us to exchange our refrigerator for another refrigerator of our choice. We chose the LG LMXC23796S. We had to pay a little more for it , but it was well worth it. The new one is counter depth and it holds more than the Kitchenaid did. It’s been working great ( knock on wood). I’m very appreciative of pacific sales for doing the right thing. If you purchased your appliances on a credit card, many cc companies will refund your money. I hope that’s a option for some of you if you aren’t getting anywhere with the company you bought from.

  • 5 years ago

    I’m curious as to how the cc company can help. We have citi card MC. looking into purchasing a new refrigerator but so nervous!

  • 3 years ago

    I woke up AGAIN to a flooded kitchen floor. The KitchenAid repair people cannot figure out my problem. I have reached a boiling point. KitchenAid did tell me that the repairmen have to deem the unit UNREPAIRABLE before they can exchange out the unit. I am calling my repair guy now. I have had enough!

  • 2 years ago

    Ours is - almost 7 yesrs old and we had all the same issues fortunately we did buy the 5 year extended warrsnty and due to Covid and supply chain issues, we got an extention compressor and ice maker were replaced - now 7 months later, ice maker won’t work snd freezer going out. so disappointe, our Samsung only lasted 6 years next one we will make sure the ice maker is in the freezer and no drawers plain as we can find!!!😩