Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudsi

chimney breast dilemma

mudsi
6 years ago
Wondering what to do about this space on the chimney breast... There was a TV there, but we don't need a TV there. And we have struggled to find any pictures or canvases that fit in the space evenly or cover the space evenly....

Comments (14)

• PRO
    William McGinn
    6 years ago

Fill it in.

• mudsi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I meant to say that we don't want to go to the hassle of filling it in and trying to patch up and match up with what's already there
  • Maria Privat
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You could place a nice big mirror there. Custom build if need be. On the internet you can also find pictures in any size and scale you like. It's almost impossible not to find something nice.

If you do not like a picture or mirror that big, you could just fill the entire hole and even paint it a fun contrasting color, like black or white. And then on that you can place your picture or pictures or mirror in the size you do like.

If that doesn't work for you either, no one is forbidding you to get rid of the upper part or even the entire thing completely. It does not win the beauty price. You could try to put some fake stones on it, to make it look more real?

To me the warm glow of a fire is a wonderful thing. I can't have one and do miss one.

• Maria Privat
    6 years ago

Oh, I see I commented as you were also adding some information.

You think filling that in is a hassle? One big piece of good board might do the trick already. It is very simple. You could also on that board put some fun wallpaper to highlight that area. Give it a bit of your time and effort. This can get real nice.

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Hang a small oriental rug in the space.
  • gustaruygers
    6 years ago
    I would remove the whole top part, refinish the mantle and voila..dress up your mantle any which way.
  • PRO
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
    6 years ago

Maybe a mirrored cabinet will help. Something like this:

Mirrored TV Cabinet at Horchow

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

You could cut a piece of brick veneer that matches the firebox bricks to the size of the inside of the cutout and pop it in, leaving all the electrical components for future use by yourselves or the next homeowners. Then proceed to decorate with art, decor, etc.

• schnable1
    6 years ago
    I would get rid of the entire thing, then have a designer plan a new surround for the woodburner insert.
  • tatts
    6 years ago

That thing is clearly nothing but wallboard. It looks cheap and amateurish (and very '80s)

I'd get rid of it--it's easy. The downside? You'll have to paint the ceiling and re-cover the wall. It's an easy job and well worth it.

Or, just fill it in so that you have a flush surface and put a painting on it. With some color! All that gray is depressing.

• PRO
    Hansen Restoration & Remodeling
    6 years ago
    Some updated staggered vases with succulents might be an easy fix! Good luck!
  • Kelly Henson
    6 years ago
    What about a favorite photo? Sams Club does canvas wrapped.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Depends on how much money you want to spend. I couldn't live with that "thing". I would remove the whole mess and reconfigure the fireplace/stove with an appealing, safe approach. I would wonder just how safely that "thing" is built give the stove might be a retrofit? Worth checking if you haven't already.