Software
Houzz Logo Print
escolat

Curb Appeal: Is This pot too big?

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I would like to make my deck more inviting yet be contemporary with a little edge! Is this pot just fine, too big ,too tall, the wrong color, in the wrong place?Any other suggestions are welcome…be kind! Before in spring:

After in fall:


Comments (109)

  • 9 years ago

    I'm not keeping up with past comments and just checked out your pic of the back side of the house. As a gardener, it gives me itchy fingers :) because it's got such great bones and all sorts of potential. I like the informality and think it's quite appropriate.

    My general thought would be to keep the facade clean and uncluttered. Let your trees, shrubs and roses showing against the house give it depth. Not many homes have such a clean look and it's very 'in' now, but also timeless. Pinterest has lots of inspiration pic on white facades.

    escolat thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Still leaning towards the metal roofed awning…I'm really not trying to tie the front in with the back,,,purposely! I like being unique. I just want something simple, low maintenance, yet cool for the front! The ideal to add shutters just doesn't seem contemporary to me and busy.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    With all this greatly appreciated debate, I keep going back to something very easy and simple suggested earlier in Dove gray…maybe… Quick to install, no fuss, modern…I like the minimalism of it all !

  • 8 years ago
    Nothing wrong with any of it ! You need to get a plant in your big pot that cascades down and you are in business. You have a great entrance ...the spring picture looks lovely ...just enjoy and get more flowers to frame the entrance ...
    escolat thanked silviakunst
  • 8 years ago
    On second thought , how about shudders around the Windows ....same color as door ! I think it would change the whole look of the house , make it more important and detract from the entrance ...which seems overwhelming ..but it's only because the house doesn't have the color trim ...here for example in form of shudders. Such a pretty house !
    escolat thanked silviakunst
  • 8 years ago

    Please do not put shudders around those windows. The house looks fine without them.

    escolat thanked shirlpp
  • 8 years ago

    I wish I could do mock ups. :(

    escolat thanked wmsimons85
  • 8 years ago
    Do you need the railings? I like how these steps look, with the risers painted white and no railings.
    escolat thanked terry toon
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    That would be a good look, but I suppose railings are required by law, maybe not. Something to consider.

  • 8 years ago

    They could go on house to match. Or drill in steps.

    escolat thanked happyleg
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I like the last simple awning you posted and should order it in grey. I would also recommend that you:

    1) paint the stair risers either white like siding or dk grey
    2) change the light fixtures (incl post light) to a larger more contemporary (and add to other side of door if in budget)
    3) add color, height and hanging plantings to tall vase
    4) get 2 smaller coordinating vases to put on bottom R step, and deck near railing on L
    escolat thanked adalisa frazzini
  • 8 years ago

    A neighbor has rail post lights.

    escolat thanked happyleg
  • 8 years ago

    As someone who now holds on to railings, please don't remove them, even if the building code permits it.

    escolat thanked partim
  • 8 years ago

    Adalisa, that was a great idea. Painting the risers white, really does bring the deck and house together. I saw one with the handrail painted white, but the risers would be just as effective.

    escolat thanked Red Silver
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Adalisa, Great suggestions! I am planning to put bold, brass house numbers on the right side. What would be a great, contemporary light fixture? I like opaque light fixtures. My contractor comes thursday…I'm fired up!

  • 8 years ago
    The wood deck is too much of a contrast to the stark white home. Paint is a choir but so is staining. I would go with painting the deck a lighter color. Right now it looks like an afterthought.
    escolat thanked Linda
  • 8 years ago

    Escolat, IDK, you may have a real hard time in that narrow focus of finding opaque shiny brass fixture in a contemporary design. I can find brass, in a few mission styles, but I can't find opaque or contemporary and brass in one fixture. Lampsplus, Houzz, and another online was all I searched. You may have to go chrome on the numbers? and than you will have better luck with the other 3 categories for your deck lighting. BUT, there is alot of other sites, and if it has to be, you could always take the clear glass and have it sandblasted to make it opaque. BUT, the contemporary style could be tricky to get the checkmark, in that category. I am with you, brass shiny is a bit more available than it was a couple of years back, but not quite up to full speed yet. You might just go with WHITE opaque contemporary search for fixtures, and have better luck since your windows appear to be white, not aluminum or silver. Than, with your deck the house numbers, should be fine in shiny brass. WHITE would be better than BLACK for your fixture, I think? Keep shoppin'...tho. It might turn up.

    escolat thanked Red Silver
  • 8 years ago
    No matter how contemporary you want your house to be it's still traditional.
    I think a peak porch would look the best with the top color to match your existing roof. And everything else white. It should be as large as possible and still not overpower. Your steps are wide.
    I have several pots on my porch filled about half way, the I can change the plants if they die or whatever ( I'm in Florida). I just insert the store pot on top of the dirt. If you get smaller pots you can use several.
    escolat thanked Jan
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    My thoughts exactly Jan, the front appearance to me is very cottage, the back a little farmhousey. But other than the very plain front there is nothing contemporary about the exterior of this adorable home in my opinion. To my eye it does not have the lines of a mid century modern as is very popular now but is a certain style, not the style of this house again IMHO.

    escolat thanked wmsimons85
  • 8 years ago

    if you are adding the awning make sure that it gives good shelter not just the look . For your planter I would go with Terra cotta [houzz=https://www.houzz.com/products/algreen-athena-245h-by-15-self-watering-planter-terra-cotta-prvw-vr~42566151]


    escolat thanked Geneviève
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Jan & wm , thanks for analyzing my home's style. I agree with your assessment. My home is influenced by the 'modern cottage' trend. I just don't like seeing bulbs glaring in fixtures! lol Don't you feel that traditional or contemporary light fixtures could work now that I am modern cottage?

  • 8 years ago

    Black iron fixtures would be stunning against your white facade. Very simple though - no curlicues or excess.

    escolat thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    Without the railings.
    escolat thanked terry toon
  • 8 years ago
    Looks like you could lose the railings legally.
    escolat thanked terry toon
  • 8 years ago
    Spray the mailbox white, add a new light fixture.
    escolat thanked terry toon
  • 8 years ago
    Or two
    escolat thanked terry toon
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Love the cherry blossoms in the spring! Such adorable character all in all when viewing the exterior. New light fixtures would definitely help in adding a more contemporary look overall.

    Some examples of potted outdoor plants:



    Choosing maybe 1 large pot and 1 small pot for variation would look a lot better than just having one plant also.

    escolat thanked Napanee Design Ltd.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The large pot looks nice, but is too serious for your cute home.

    Your deck and stairs look very well maintained! Kudos to you.

    *Next time you need to re-stain it (a few years down the road), you may consider playing-off the color with the front door and flowering trees. Maybe a cooler color or pastel. Something that ties in with the blue front door and peachy/pinks.

    Nobody says a deck has to be brown, there is a full palette of colors available and they can custom mix too!

    escolat thanked Aaron Holland Painting, LLC.
  • 8 years ago

    <https://www.ylighting.com/blog/how-to-choose-modern-outdoor-lighting/>; I had to share this great sight with you. The various styles of fixtures, will make you swooon....many different ideas here that are kin to the ideas you enjoy about what makes a nice fixture in your deck/porch areas... This one style, not what you envisioned as many in the above linke are.., was just too cute(not cheap, but cute)...but there are many others, too. In bronze, or graphite: <https://www.ylighting.com/modern-forms-rain-outdoor-wall-light.html?source=criteo_wmf-rain-outdoor-wall-light&utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=CPC>;

    escolat thanked Red Silver
  • 8 years ago

    Where should I place my house numbers?

  • 8 years ago

    Left side side of door looks good for numbers.

    escolat thanked happyleg
  • 8 years ago

    I have a brass mailbox & big.

    escolat thanked happyleg
  • 8 years ago

    I would agree that the pot was way too big. Maybe you can use other kind of pot and put more flowers. But I really love your house.

    escolat thanked Michael Oliver Estonido
  • 8 years ago

    Escolat love your new awning. Very simple but also has some interest and character. Very very pretty!!

    escolat thanked wmsimons85
  • 8 years ago

    Love the awning!

    escolat thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    The space is narrow and I think it works but I would go with a different color. White? Blue?
    Needs some trailing plants, flowers and something with a little height.
    escolat thanked SJS Interiors
  • 8 years ago
    Re: where to put the house numbers. I agree about the left side of the door. Put them above (is that a black maiibox)? Put them in a horizontal line. They are much easier to read that way.
    escolat thanked nasmijati
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Here's an update…simple awning and small, blue pot…and house numbers! Thanks for all great advice, everyone!

  • 8 years ago

    I love it! :)

    escolat thanked happyleg
  • 8 years ago

    Cute!

    escolat thanked DH
  • 8 years ago

    Very pretty!

    escolat thanked katinparadise
  • 8 years ago

    Love the blue with the yellow blooms!

    escolat thanked chloebud
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Update: Taking the advice of Houzz experts, I decided to change the deck color to match the roof....What a difference ...IMO, the color change brought it all together and calms it down. Now, I change my much smaller pots seasonally. I am embracing the 'modern cottage' vibe by including country elements like sunflowers and perennials. This is the late summer look!

  • 8 years ago

    Looks great!

    escolat thanked laurafhallen
  • 8 years ago

    So cool & calm glad u did it!

    escolat thanked happyleg
  • 8 years ago

    Oh wow, what a difference. Love it!


    escolat thanked wmsimons85
  • 8 years ago
    My only concern with that pot is that it might pose a danger to the storm door if someone should open the door too wide or to quickly.
    Any pot you like is a pot you can have there....it's what you put IN the pot that makes it work or not.
    escolat thanked felizlady
  • 8 years ago
    Move the pot to the right bottom stairs on the walkways then add shorter pots by the door.
    escolat thanked Kathleen
  • 8 years ago

    I love when people post their finished looks! Thanks so much for sharing - looks great!

    escolat thanked mnmamax3
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Great suggestions! The storm door clears the plant and I like filling up the blank space by the door to the right..I like asymmetry and simplicity. The right rail is purely decorative...placed there to accent the roof lines. People go to the left side only.(I'm left-handed!) I really appreciate all the input. I. have moved the pot down....I like it there.