Software
Houzz Logo Print
maxim_girbu

Arched (radius) to rectangular windows replacement - brick bungalow

8 years ago

I'm looking to give house a modern look and thinking about changing the arched windows in the front of the house to all rectangular windows. Also i would change the red brick treatment around the windows to some grey looking natural stone.

Would it make the house look better? Is it difficult to replace the brick around the windows? Will it improve the resale value? Any design ideas for the windows treatment?


Thank you!



Comments (17)

  • 8 years ago

    Just an idea, you could change all the Windows to rectangler except the one over the front door

    Max S thanked Elizabeth B
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thanks for the idea Elizabeth. Do you have any ideas about the trim around the windows? I think about paint the brick around the windows to dark brown or grey and expand the windows all the way up to the roof line. Also any ideas on windows / trim colors ?

  • 8 years ago

    Could be expensive. I would start by painting the red brick to match the rest of the siding. Changing to stone would just keep that 80's look. Landscaping would be helpful also. Remove the tree in front of the door and put in some foundation plantings on the right.

    Max S thanked jck910
  • 8 years ago

    Expensive work for an excellent mason. You'll need new custom windows. It will also ruin the integrity of the original design. If you want a major remodel, hiring an architect would be the best use of your money.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I agree with jck. Before spending $$$$ to rip out the brick, I'd try painting it first, so it would disappear. And trim up those branches that are hanging over the windows and remove the ornamental tree partially hiding the front door.

  • 8 years ago

    I appreciate your input. I'm going to cut the branches and the tree in front of the house very soon and the windows need to be changed soon due to their age.

    The arched windows would cost me twice of price of regular windows so i'm considering to replace them to rectangular ones and at the same time make house to look modern, something like in the picture below.

    - What do you think about this look?

    - How much would it cost to get a similar exterior look?

    - Shall i paint the exterior walls white brick to grey as well?

    - What do you think about this porch?

    I'm trying to get some feedback before l hire an architect ...


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Probably deep down in the back of your mind, you have an idea of how much you'd be willing to spend in order to make the changes. There's probably a fluctuating range, based on what you think you'd get out of it. Whatever this figure is, it would be good to be up front about it with the architect because the budget will probably be the largest constraint you face. If something isn't in the budget, it's not going to happen.

    Personally, I think the arch windows look contrived and out of place. While it won't be cheap to change them to rectangular, it could help the look of the house, and it seems much more realistic that your prior project. Adding on a well designed porch could potentially, and dramatically, upgrade the house. Landscaping is needed, too.

    Max S thanked Yardvaark
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I think you are on the right track.

    A large portico built in front of the front door would help immensely. It would help get rid of the flatness in the front of the house, it wouldn't block the light to the basement windows and it would add more prominence and stature to the front.

    Your house would benefit from the addition of large portico with a gable roof, which would blend well with the current windows, structure and the hipped roof on the house. See the 2 photos below.

    I would refrain from removing the brick around the window and from removing the arched windows since it will cost far in excess of the benefits of changing them out.

    I would recommend a paint job on the body of the house. Please don't paint the brick.

    If you decide to keep the brickwork around the arched windows, please consider toning down the paint job on the body of the house. The current paint color is too 'antiseptic' or stark looking. The body needs to be toned down and subtle-earth tone to take the bite out of the harsh contrast between the house body and the brickwork.

    Max S thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    I appreciate your suggestions!

    @goluscombe you suggested to paint the body of the house to tone it down, but the all 4 walls are white brick. Would you suggest to paint the white brick walls? Also what would you suggest to do with the side and back walls (they are also white brick)?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Everything is doable, but you are definitely going to need a mason to square up those openings and they can be expensive if they are decent.

    Max S thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • 8 years ago

    I think you should go for squaring the windows especially if your going to replace anyways. I heard rounded windows cost a fortune you could get an estimate of both jobs and see if the price difference makes sense. I would not bring the windows as high as the roofline though I would just bring them to the top of that rounded arch. I think building the portico around the front door sounds like a great idea. If you are squaring the windows you'd have to do something else with the brick anyways so I'd probably have it removed. I think for this job I'd find an architect to draw up some sketches. It really stink to change it all and still not be happy with the end result

    Max S thanked Elizabeth B
  • 8 years ago

    I don't think anybody is suggesting painting the house walls, just the reddish trim around the windows that is drawing attention to their shape -- paint them the same color as the white brick.

    Max S thanked acm
  • 8 years ago

    I like your inspiration. Your house would look very good with squared up windows and a modern paint job like that. Get some bids on changing the windows and take it from there.

    Good luck!

    Max S thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thank you for all your suggestion. Another question. Is there a way to paint white exterior brick wall? I want to tone it down (light grey or similar). Currently, the wall is white glazed brick (see the photo). Is there a way to paint the glazed brick?

  • 8 years ago

    Max- Thanks for pointing out that the 'white' was a glazing on the bricks. You really can't change that color at all without tremendous cost, so just leave it alone and change out the color of the red brick trim.

    Below are two examples you could try; both paint the red brick to match the body of the house

    In this example, you would paint out the red brick to match the body of the house and paint out the window trim and door in a soft dark gray


    In this example, you would paint out the red brick to match the body of the house, paint out the window trim to match the body of the house and then have only one accent with is the door (and overhang) and it is painted in a medium gray.


  • 7 years ago

    What did you end up doing? We are considering the same thing.