Software
Houzz Logo Print
nofriday

Wet bar refrigerator / freezer / ice maker (True, SubZero, Hoshizaki)

Hi there!

We are doing a whole home remodel, and I am working with our architect on the details for two wet bars (living room/main floor and basement). I’ve done a good amount of surfing and research on TGW and various appliance makers websites. I’d love for feedback on the layout and appliances that we have chosen.


Living Room


This is a small wet bar that we are putting off to the side of our living room. We originally didn’t have this in our plan, but as we were tinkering with the space, it seemed like a nice touch and good use of this space in the living room. The living room is adjacent to our open kitchen (more on that here), and I thought that having a separate functional space for guests to make and serve drinks, for us to store wine, and for our kids (when they are older) to get beverages without interrupting the flow of the kitchen would be nice.


For the living room bar, we have ~78” of counter space, and because we want the bar to not be a primary focal point of the living room, we are sticking with a simple 42” high lower countertops with a quartz countertop + bar sink (i.e. no upper cabinets). n both spaces, we’d be doing custom cabinets/paneling for the appliances. For the appliances, we are choosing to have:

  • 24” undercounter wine cabinet
  • 24” undercounter refrigerator


Given the dedicated wine cabinet, it doesn’t seem to make sense to go with a beverage center (as opposed to refrigerator). I considered putting in a dedicated ice maker here, but I am worried about the noise given that it’s intended to be a nice living room. I am also considering an undercounter freezer but worried about giving up the limited cabinet space that I would prefer to use for liquor and supply storage. Instead, I think we’d rely on the freezer in our kitchen (which isn’t that far away) and/or set up an ice bucket. I also considered a 24” refrigerator/freezer option (e.g. the SubZero with or without ice maker), but that seems like that would not be functional enough and mainly be an unsatisfactory compromise. Feedback on that welcome though!

For the appliances, I am leaning towards True (24" Undercounter refrigerator, 24" undercounter dual zone wine cabinet), but am considering the SubZero (refrigerator, wine cabinet) and Perlick models as well. From what I can tell, all seem like great options and it’s primarily a matter of cost and aesthetic. I am curious if anyone has strong feelings for or against any of these brands/models. Or has opinions on how to layout this type of space and/or the appliances I have chosen for it.


Basement Bar



Basement: We have a slightly larger built-in bar in the basement. The basement is a large daylight basement which serves as a combination of TV/media/entertainment area and guest bedrooms. This bar is larger, but will likely get less use except for larger parties or if we are hanging out watching TV in the basement.


For the basement bar, we have two counters and more available space. For that, we are going with:

  • 24” undercounter refrigerator
  • 24” undercounter freezer (for cocktail ice, glassware, and miscellaneous usage)
  • 15” ice maker (for parties)
  • 24” dishwasher


I considered a beverage center instead of the refrigerator here, but if we’re drinking wine, it would more likely be on the main floor, so I preferred having the refrigerator instead.

For the refrigerator and freezer - we are looking at similar options/brands as for the living room bar - True (24" Undercounter refrigerator, 24" undercounter freezer), SubZero (refrigerator), and Perlick. Probably leaning towards True or Perlick since SubZero doesn't seem to do an undercounter freezer that's not freezer drawers.

For the ice maker, the main use would be having ice for cocktails, so we’d be looking for a nice clear ice machine. The brands I’ve considered are: Hoshizaki AM-50BAE, True, and SubZero. The Hoshizaki seems to get quite good reviews from what I can tell. I have seen less on the True machine (which is newer, and SubZero).

For the dishwasher, we are going with a primarily Miele kitchen, so I am likely to make a similar selection to the dishwasher that we are putting in our main kitchen. Miele G 6885.

For reference, here is the floor plan of the spaces that are in question.

Living Room (note bar will go against the wall that is circled in red)


Basement


Wow, that’s a lot! If you have any questions about our goals or plans, let me know, otherwise I’d love to hear any opinions on layout and bar appliance options! Thanks for any insights you can offer.

Joe

Comments (10)

  • 8 years ago

    Hey there - thanks for the note. We are ~2 months away from remodel being complete and we decided to go with the True. I don't have any direct feedback yet, but there is more activity on [this thread[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/is-a-dedicated-ice-maker-worth-the-space-dsvw-vd~2294510), including someone who went with the True and is very happy with it. I'll let you know my experience once the remodel is complete and we have some experience with it. Good luck with your decision / remodel!

  • 7 years ago

    How did the remodel go? How do you like the true ice machine? Cheers!

  • 7 years ago

    Hi Art - thanks for the note - I love the machine. I decided to post a more in depth comment and review on the a different post where there is more commentary about the True ice machine.


    * https://www.houzz.com/discussions/does-anyone-have-the-true-undercounter-ice-maker-dsvw-vd~4931170?n=24


    Good luck with your purchase, happy to offer any advice I can.


    -Joe

  • 7 years ago

    Good deal, I will post in that other thread about the True. Did you publish an ideabook or similar about your remodel? It looks awesome, I'm surprised this thread didn't get more attention. Would like to see more pics of how everything came out. Cheers!

  • 7 years ago

    I'll do that someday...right now too busy unpacking/keeping the kids entertained/getting ready for the holidays! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Joe! Thanks for your amazingly helpful threads and your clearly thoughtful considerations and planning. I’m so curious where you landed with all of your appliances! Would you please share a running list when you have a minute? Thank you so much!

  • 7 years ago

    Hi L G,


    We ended up with all True for the bar appliances. In the living room bar, we ended up doing the True ice Maker and a True beverage center. We opted to put the ice maker here, as opposed to basement bar, since we figured we would use it much more often in the main living area as opposed to basement which is more used for movie watching and parties. So far that has turned out to be a good choice, since with two small children, we aren't hosting as many parties (yet).


    For the basement bar, we went with a True refrigerator, a True dual zone wine refrigerator, a True freezer, and a Miele dishwasher (Lumen, I think - I can get the exact model if you want). To be honest, so far this bar hasn't gotten a lot of use but we are still settling into the house, and I think it will be great once we are a little bit more up and running. It's been nice having the extra fridges for the beverage and wine storage.


    Overall we are happy with the selections. The quality and aesthetics are great. As someone recently posted on one of the threads, the True ice maker isn't "whisper quiet". You can hear it filling up water, clearing out drain, and dumping ice into the chamber periodically throughout the day. I honestly don't really notice it, and without basis of comparison, I imagine it's similar if not better than other ice makers due to the nature of the operation, but if appliance noise is a concern, I would definitely try to check out one and see if you are comfortable with the noise level before committing to one. But we've been very happy having it, and having it near the living space means it gets used a lot, and it's super nice making a cocktail and having a fresh supply of clear ice right by everything.


    Hope that helps, if there's more information that would be useful please let me know.


    -joe

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks so much, Joe! This is enormously helpful. I admit I've also read all of your other threads(!) and I'm also curious about where you landed on all of your kitchen appliances. We are debating the same set up and brands, and it would be wonderful to know about how you landed on refrigerator, CSO, CO, range top, vent (we are going to do an insert liner so we can match cabinet millwork around it), and anything else! (Coffee maker, undercounter fridges etc.). Thanks again!!

  • 7 years ago

    (I did see where you landed on the CSO and CO and warming drawer - but would love an update on how you're liking the products now). :)