Software
Houzz Logo Print
shakersables

Enough room for attic master suite?

13 years ago
We have an attic that is 300 square feet. Is this enough room to create a master suite? We would need to add a bathroom and closet. We are trying to decide if we should put in the money and renovate or just move one of the kids up there. It is a long narrow space with stairs at the north end and one window on each end. Thanks!

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    It sounds much more suitable as a child's bedroom and bath than the master suite. I was going to say it would work until I came to the part about it being a long narrow space with the windows only at each end. Any chance of adding more windows?
  • 13 years ago
    Carolyn,
    I haven't explored pricing, but I'd love to put in a couple gables or skylights if gables are cost prohibitive.
  • 13 years ago
    Do you have angle walls? If yes, can you tell us how much space you have to stand up easily?
  • 13 years ago
    Suzanne,
    The walls angle in at 4.5 ft up. They angle in about 2.5 ft. and the ceiling is 7'9" high.
  • 13 years ago
    Here are the dimensions:
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    There's certainly enough space there for a bedroom, bath and closet, even with the sloping walls and low ceiling. A skylight would work nicely in the bathroom and a dormer or two added to the bedroom would make a very pleasant room.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, Carolyn! Any suggestions on the placement of the bedroom, bath and closet? The front of the house faces west. I'd prefer to keep dormers/skylights on the back of the house, the east facing side. How many square feet would you recommend for a proper bathroom? I was hoping to fit a glass shower, toilet, and vanity at the least.
  • 13 years ago
    Is the window on the south end centered on the wall? Where is the window on the north wall?
  • 13 years ago
    Suzanne,
    The window on the south end is centered (pic on left.) The one on the north end is centered as well but the stairs come up from the second floor at that end (pic on right.) Sorry about the mess. The room is my kids' playroom aka dumping ground right now.
  • 13 years ago
    Carolyn,
    Thank you so much! That looks awesome! Your input is MUCH appreciated!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You are very welcome, shakersables. That shower I drew is 60 x 48", big enough for any shower lover. You could certainly add a door to the walk-in closet, something I failed to do.

    The center of the vanity would be dropped in height to allow for the window. The "closet cabinet" opposite the bed would be equipped with doors on the front and you could place a TV above it, either wall mounted on the sloping wall or on top of the "closet cabinet". The cabinet would have a rod for hanging things and space below for shoes.
  • 13 years ago
    Carolyn,
    It looks and sounds amazing! This will be quite an upgrade for us. It's very exciting to imagine the possibilities! Thanks for your help!
  • 13 years ago
    Very well thought plan Carolyn. I like the symmetry of walls and doors position. It is not only practical but also pleasing to the eye.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thank you, Suzanne! It was fun to draw it. I'm usually just doing furniture drawings.
  • 13 years ago
    Looks great, Mandy!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I hope you'll let us know how things are progressing along the way, Mandy.
  • 13 years ago
    Carolyn, I definitely will! We just finished our kitchen remodel so it may be a while.
  • 13 years ago
    Carolyn, not only you did a fantastic job on the walls and doors position on Mandy's master ensuite, I had noticed that you did very well in the placement of furniture as well. I am participating in another discussion asking for a layout of furniture, would you like to join and give your comments on what I have suggested. Maybe you can do better:
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/furniture-layout-dsvw-vd~496781
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thank you, Suzanne, for the kind words. I much appreciate it. I took a look at your furniture layout dilemma you were working on and posted a drawing. You really made it easy for me by figuring out all the room dimensions! Thanks for inviting me into that discussion which I had missed. Carolyn
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County