Software
Houzz Logo Print
ben_tso

Another Picture Thread...Farmers Branch Rose Garden TX

I visited Farmer’s Branch Rose Garden near Dallas TX today. They are sponsored in part by David Austin, and have a huge selection of his introductions, as well as some OGRs and HTs. Here are some pics...


Ambridge Rose looking good...


Mme Antoine Mari, huge and healthy Tea


Neil Diamond, far and away the most fragrant rose here, among thousands of bushes. I grow it myself, good to confirm the fragrance is really that exceptional.


More to come....

Comments (36)

  • 8 years ago

    Tess of the D’Urbervilles

    Dame De Coeur

    Good as Gold

    Kathy’s Find

    Munstead Wood (nice fall coloring)

    Litchfield Angel

  • 8 years ago

    Brilliant Veranda

    Chica Veranda

    Poet’s Wife

    Darcy Busell

    Dark Lady

    Mary Rose



  • 8 years ago

    Tamora

    Sharifa Asma

    Charlotte

    Gentle Hermoine


    Alnwick Rose


  • 8 years ago

    Eglantyne

    Olivia Austin

    What!? I’m not a Rose, leave me and my toadstool alone!

    Lady of Megginch


    Abe Darby

  • 8 years ago

    Heathcliff

    Queen Anne


    Scarborough Fair

    Sophy’s Rose


  • 8 years ago

    Molineaux

  • 8 years ago

    Wow! Beautiful pictures! Love that squirrely too!


  • 8 years ago

    Thank you for the tour of their garden.

  • 8 years ago

    You are very lucky to have such a place nearby. Were there any you were newly tempted to buy after seeing them in person?

  • 8 years ago

    Hi Vapovac

    Alnwick , Abe, Olivia Austin and Boscobel were standouts for me, I’d considering getting one or more of them. I added another Neil Diamond to my K&M order even though I already have one...somehow smelling it just as fragrant here made me want yet another one, lol.

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks for the photo tour BenT! I especially liked seeing Lady of Megginch for her coloring. Was she very fragrant?

    Ann

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks so much for sharing! Do you happen to remember if you liked the fragrance of Eglantyne, Olivia, and PAoK?

  • 8 years ago

    'Mme Antoine Mari' is sensational. I wonder if that's all one plant or maybe 3? Mine is about one tenth that size..

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Ann,

    I agree Lady Megginch is quite a unique shade of pink...I think it was fragrant, myrhh perhaps?

    LL,

    I think Olivia had a nice fruity scent, don’t remember Eglantyne or PAOK so well.

    Marlorena,

    That Mme Antoine was probably the most impressive bush at the garden...one plant, probably 5x12’ and perfectly healthy in a no spray environment.

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks so much for your thoughts!

  • 8 years ago



    Apparently Houzz must have a limit on how many photos can be posted in a single day, as I was unable to post more last night, and there much more to show! Continuing on....


    Boscobel (gorgeous) and Darcy Bussell

    Linda Biscotti? (I’m sure my spell check messed up this one’s name).

    Xochimilco (spell check was speechless about this one, lol).

    Carding Mill

    Coles Settlement


    Dawn Star (quite nice Austin look alike)

    Minnie Belle

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Mamman Cochet

    Sweet Frances

    La Reine

    Lady Ashe

    Brightside Cream (unusual horizontal habit)

    Mary Manners


    Cramoisi Superior


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Souvenir de St Anne

    Repeating Swamp Rose

    Kronprinzessin Viktoria

    Flamingo Colorscape

    Kardinal Colorscape


    Generous Gardener (every bloom seemed like it was missing a section)


    Wollerton Old Hall

  • 8 years ago

    Lavenderlace, up the thread you asked about the scent of Eglantyne, Olivia Rose, and PAoK. I grow all three, and Eglantyne, in my estimation, has by far the most beautiful scent of the three. It resembles the scent of Evelyn. Diane

  • 8 years ago

    Georgetown Tea



    Julian Potion

    Belle De Carniere

    White Maman Cochet (the real thing is quite nice,but this pic looks like toilet tissue looting)

    Lafter

    Big Momma

  • 8 years ago

    Strawberry Hill

    Falstaff

    Wedgewood Rose

    Gertrude Jekyll

    Mrs B R Cant

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks Diane! I bought Evelyn based on your recommendation and I love the scent, plus they are very vigorous.

  • 8 years ago

    Crocus Rose


    Proof that Butterfly Weed is well named

    Princess Alexandra of Kent (below)


    Lady of Shallot


    That’s all folks. Hope you enjoyed the tour....back to work!


  • 8 years ago

    Gorgeous!

  • 8 years ago

    Fantastic. Thanks for going to all that trouble.

  • 8 years ago

    What great pics!! Thank you especially for all the full bush shots...those are extremely helpful!

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks Ben the roses are so very pretty. The squirrel is priceless.

  • 8 years ago

    Beautiful rose garden ! but what are those small green bugs inside some of the roses ?

  • 8 years ago

    A great tour. I recently saw Georgetown Tea for the first time and its blooms took my breath away. Your photo captures it so brilliantly. All the roses are exquisite. Thank you for sharing.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thanks everyone for the nice comments, I’m thankful to have so many folks on this forum who enjoy rose pics as much as I do .

    Agree on Georgetown Tea...beautifully intricate in color and form.

    The little bugs are cucumber beetles, they are an epidemic this fall in North Texas. In my own garden it took repeated cycles of squishing and spraying to finally get them under control. This Farmer’s Branch garden, I believe, is No Spray, so they’ve got quite a few of the nasty buggers, which can turn a bloom into Swiss cheese.

    We are having a long , mild fall, so the roses are still productive and putting out really fine blooms.

  • 8 years ago

    One more important comment: I did NOT see a single plant infected with Rose Rosette Disease. We are talking about an open area with several thousand roses and not much else. North Dallas probably has the highest concentrations of RRD in the world (I see RRD on pretty much every Knock Out strip mall and public space, it is like a horror movie that I can’t help but keep looking at). So kudos to the management team at these gardens for keeping RRD at bay, I would guess their might be some culling, but nonetheless it’s under control, which is super encouraging. Now that I think about it, the absence of RRD has got to be one of the best parts of the visit.


  • 8 years ago

    It's wonderful visiting rose gardens and seeing all these well grown roses. What a nice day you must have had!

  • 8 years ago

    How nice of you to go through all this trouble! Those bush shots are really informative re: how the plants behave. Thanks!!!

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you for the eye candy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting