Software
Houzz Logo Print
blewline

Garbage Disposal Yes or No?

8 years ago

I have a kicthen remodel which fortunately or unfortunately was designed by a European kitchen designer. He decided to use a drawer under the large deep kohler sink which aesthetically looks great but doesn’t work if you want a garbage disposal. The house is a complete remodel in San Francisco (3000 square feet 4 beds 4 bath 2 car garage in Richmond district). It’s a spec home soI’m looking for info on what most people would prefer. I have considered using a waste organization system which could include state of the art compost system under the sink. I have also considered placing the garbage disposer under the wet bar sink. I have attached an artist rendering of kitchen and a picture of a garbage system for under sink as well.




Any my advice would be much appreciated.


No garbage disposer compost option
Garbage disposal at small wet bar sink

Comments (14)

  • 8 years ago

    Definitely a garbage disposal.

  • 8 years ago
    Garbage disposal at sink where you wash and prep your food
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    When it comes to better homes, having a garbage disposal is an absolute must. Also having a system such as you reference could be great as well, but it would't take the place of a disposal for me.


  • 8 years ago

    This Excell model Insinkerator is now the only one with a stainless steel grind chamber.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I would love to connect a disposal to the outside compost system via separate waste line. I have the perfect setup as previous plumbers never closed up wall, which is terra cotta block.

  • 8 years ago

    terrefirma, that sounds like a fantastic idea! Wish DH would consider this, but with his work-load of demo, plumbing, framing, brick-work, and electrical (plus our week-day jobs), I'm positive if I suggested it he'd leave me! LOL! I'll just have to use a compost bucket under the sinks : ) OTOH, I don't intend now to use a composter, but rather just work leftovers into the garden soil as I've heard from others this works well - less fuss and muss.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I don't like garbage disposals because you have to put your hand in there occasionally to clear out something, so when I had a chance to get rid of it, I did. I want to add that garbage disposals put more stress on city water filtration systems.

    In SF you may not have the space for it, but I use a compost heap out beyond the bushes in my back yard. The bushes back up to some woods so no neighbor has to look at this. My son also has a large plastic box with dirt and worms in it that's back of our garage. Food waste goes in there, too, and the dirt that comes out of it is good for our garden. Son is graduating soon with a degree in Sustainability Studies, so green options are important in our house.

  • 8 years ago

    We used to have a garbage disposal. A few years ago, we gave our kitchen a facelift (new counters, new sink, new appliances) and I asked my wife if she wanted a garbage disposal. She said "absolutely not" because they have a habit of getting gunky and smelly even when "cleaner" is used regularly. No more odors and no worrying about a piece of cutlery being in there by accident. Besides, it's just one more thing to go on the fritz and have to be replaced. Simple is better. BTW, Pallet & Pallette- not all "better homes" have a disposal. Pretty snooty comment if you ask me.

  • 5 years ago

    I think that there should at least be room for a garbage disposal. And for the high powered Insinkerator, which is longer than earlier models, the sump needs to be low enough to fit.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Most American potential home buyers are probably going to want a garbage disposal. I think it takes dedication and commitment on the part of home owners to use a complicated system for taking care of food waste.

  • 5 years ago

    We have garbage disposals in our houses but we almost never use them. I keep a strainer over the drain where the GD is and put whatever is caught in it in the trash.

    A lot of people overuse the garbage disposals, and this can cause big problems. A friend of mine is an engineer for the City of Los Angeles and designs sewers and water systems for the city. He told me that it is better for the system to use the garbage disposal as little as possible. I definitely do not want to have sewer problems.

    One of the worst things you can put in a garbage disposal is pasta or spaghetti. That can do a good job of clogging up your sewer. I see no reason why food should be going into the sewer system.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I live in Ontario and they are no longer legal due to the effect on the environment. You can still find them in some stores but plummers are not allowed to install. We have a great, non-complicated recycle program which helps. Hope that other countries will soon follow suit. Every little bit counts.

  • 5 years ago

    It does not seem complicated at all to live without a garbage disposal. You use an insert in the drain that catches debris, and you empty it into the garbage or compost when you are finished cleaning up. But I can't say for certain because I've always had a disposal, but that's what people did before garbage disposals, and I assume that's what many still do. We never intentionally put food prep scraps in ours because in our house that leads to expensive plumbing bills, so now we're trying to decide if we should ditch it altogether.