Software
Houzz Logo Print
nrivera139

Repaint? Or accessorize?

13 years ago
I painted my toddler's room Ribbon Pink by Benjamin Moore, but I do not like it. I am not a fan of pink but my husband likes it. Should I paint it another color? Or leave it and accessorize? Thanks.

Comments (65)

  • 13 years ago
    see my daughters pink room. I also just added a small rose/pink rug under the bed over carpet
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would add crown molding, for architectural interest. you could add another color in the form of stripes, different sized circles or flowers. This would allow you to add more colors as well, to the decor :-)
  • 13 years ago
    Agree!
  • 13 years ago
    Purple, lavender, gray, aqua, sometimes even orange, works with pink. Depends on your shade of pink. I would figure that out using paint strips, then find a print fabric or two that I was crazy about that loomed well with your pink. I'd take the colors from the print fabrics to accessorize. I'd keep it simple if you intend to keep lots of toys in the room. Toys are so o,or full in and of themselves.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I'd compromise and paint a focal wall by adding 'white' vertical stripes for a change of pace. I love the pillow choices you posted. I think it's fine to grow it up a bit. There will be many things that she will have in the room that are just her.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the fabrics you picked out a lot. My only two cents from personal experience - if you are finding yourself trying to basically cover the walls to hide the paint color (or you are foregoing things you really want to work with it) sometimes you have the realization - isn't it easier to just repaint? Yes you can make a beautiful room with this color but if you don't like it (and it is a little bubblegum for someone who doesn't like pink) I'd repaint and use those pink fabrics you like.
  • 13 years ago
    You might subjugate the bubble gum pink with stripes in a lighter shade.
    Shoshana · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Right now without all the other things in the room of course you only see pink. I love it and it will be beautiful once you start to add things like furniture and fabric back in. Love the light too. Go with it .
  • 13 years ago
    It's going to look great, It's the shock of the paint:) When I painted the first pink wall (in a much deeper and brighter pink) I said that I would not paint the rest. I could not get used to see so much pink. Then, after finishing all and adding accessories and furniture, all looks good. Your daughter will have a really cute room:)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Since everyone seems to be siding with your husband's opinion, I'll give you a vote for changing the color--not because it isn't a nice pink, but because if you don't like this shade you shouldn't feel obliged to keep it. I grew up with a bubble-gum pink bedroom which I hated, and have disliked the color pink ever since.
  • 13 years ago
    I would suggest to accessories and avoid any long term commitment, you can find some nice pink bedding and girly bedroom accessories here http://www.welovelinen.com/childrens-bedding-c51#t16:page1 one of my favourites is PONY which I bought for my best friends daughter, she is too young to tell us if she likes it but I think she does as much as we do!!! ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You will be painting in a few years anyway when she turns into a teenager and hates pink. Why do it twice Keep it for now. I really like it. LOL.
  • 13 years ago
    Agree with LB interiors. Had the same white stripes in mind to tone down the pink..
    But love april's example if you chose to stay with pink.. But yeah you will repaint in a few years only..
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    'deco' guess we thinking the same about stripes :)
  • 13 years ago
    LB - thought she could use a visual and I like the wide ones myself. Would do the whole room with them and then use lime or navy, as I think the brown/chocolate is getting a bit tired.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    'deco' Tthe photo does help. Yes, wide stripes. I thought 'white' stripes tho.
  • 13 years ago
    I love the paint with the white furniture, moldings and chandelier- what about it don't you like? Also what linens were you originally thinking of? Another thought would be to take the paint and have them add a bit of white into it to lighten it up and have them put one more coat on.
  • 13 years ago
    Add horizontal stripes in off white to soften the walls
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    In a few years it could also be this colour , so enjoy it now , I love pink , a co worker of mine years ago painted her little girl's room pink ,I wish that I would have seen it , she told us that she had also purchase a border with little ballerinas on it , a vanity painted in white and she purchased some pink and white Tulle to make a skirt that looked like a Tutu to pick up the colours of the border ,you could do the same ,try to find some white satin ballet slippers and hang them up in the room ,I think that just by imagining a music box playing swan lake on a dresses will add the final touch and for Christmas you could add some green and red to make it festive and play the Nut Cracker. Little girls don't stay little very long so enjoy the pink.

    http://www.berlinwallpaper.com/PrissPrints/Ballet-ballerina-wall-decal.htm
    http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/76/c/AAAAC_c_IM4AAAAAAHbPsg.jpg?v=1254490185000
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    A palette from design-seeds.com that cuts the sweetness a bit:
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think its a bit too dark. I like the palette above. A softer pink that lends itself better to other colors in the room. Paint has scale and weight...you have to consider this when making choices.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like 'grover's colors too.
  • 13 years ago
    I still think your daughter should have some say. My only daughter hated pink from infancy to 21 when she suddenly loved it. Better to repaint now if you don't like it and she is not enthusiastic.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would include my daughter, to some degree. She's young and you can give her some options. I would decide as parents, 3 options for her to choose from. Ones that you and hubby both like. I think it's important for parents to like the room that is in your house. Children at that age would also like to be considered. Ask her what other colors she likes. Maybe options presented to her:
    1. pink in the room, parents decide how much and where (tweaking what you have)
    2. pink with a different color or colors
    3. a different color

    Then create a plan for the ones that you both like.
    Present the ideas to her and make it work for all of you. Everyone is happy! ... chances are at her young age, it won't matter that much to her and all of you will be happy.
    I'm a little bit 'old school' :))
  • 13 years ago
    I tried to find a photo of my kids' room and I could only find this, which is not very clear,,just to give you an idea that once you add other items in the room it's going to be ok
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Contrasting walls will be a nice change.
  • 13 years ago
    Decided it doesn't go with the cream furniture so I have to change the paint. No idea what to so :-/
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    How about gray or beige neutral walls and light pink accents? That way it won't feel to babyish but will grow with her and you can easily change out accessories
  • 13 years ago
    I had a cream in her room before and I bought some samples but they were coming up too white. Any suggestions? The color from your pic is very nice.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Leave it..She will not be a toddler for long.
    Saphire-Goae, Cream/Pink rug · More Info

    Shantung Drapes · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I'm not usually a big fan of pink but I think this color looks good. Once you accessorize it won't feel so overwhelming. I love the navy and pink suggestion.
  • 13 years ago
    My daughter's room is a light shade of robins egg blue -
    Pittsburgh paints handsome hue. It's very neutral. Not sure if you want to use blue in both rooms?
  • 13 years ago
    So pretty....thinkin' once everything's moved back and you accessorize, all will be good! So many cool colours to introduce here.......what I always go with when it comes to "warm" vs "cool" colours is what I would wear and as I'm a "winter", clear, cool colours it is....never fails:)
  • 13 years ago
    The furniture seems to clash, I think.
  • 13 years ago
    You can tone it down with a glaze or "color" wash of white, If you liked the stripes ideas use tape to make pink pinstripes then use white or cream to paint in a texture pattern that lets some of the pink show through.(ragging,sponging or colorwashing are few options) one of those roller stamps to create wallpaper like texture could be interesting too.
  • 13 years ago
    Like kathleen's idea very much.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I've used color washes effectively. Time consuming but worth it. Great textures can be created depending on the choice of tools.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you really do not like the color repaint. Nothing worse that being stuck with a color that will make you mad everything you go in there.
  • 13 years ago
    I repainted it Balboa Mist. It needs accessories to brighten it up but I like it a lot.
  • 13 years ago
    Do you have a pic of the new colour Nicole? Sound beautiful. Can't wait to see it accessorised!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Is this the color you painted the room? Nice soft color.
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/oc-27#ce_s=balboa
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think you will be much happier getting a color you like better. That is a more soothing tone. http://andee-photography.artistwebsites.com/index.html
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, handmadebyeagirl. I also used it in my other daughter's room and in my kitchen. The pic I took doesn't look much different then the Revere Pewter but I will post it.
  • 13 years ago
    Here is the updated room. It isn't fully finished yet. Thanks for all the feedback.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Nichole I really like it! Are you happy with it this time? I sure hope so! Very nice! :)
    Nicole thanked Andee Photography Fine Art And Digital Design
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Just saw this, I was taking in all the beautiful things ... one tiny, tiny tweak, I don't know if I'd highlight the switch with a pink plate cover.
    Nicole thanked LB Interiors
  • 13 years ago
    so cute!! love it!! Job well done! :)
    Nicole thanked Anum Ismail
  • 13 years ago
    it looks great!
    Nicole thanked printesa
  • 13 years ago
    Beautiful .
    Nicole thanked tennisanyone
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz