0
lucillle

Canned sweet potatoes

Lucille

I canned around 25 lbs of sweet potatoes a few weeks back. Opened a jar and did not really like the texture for eating as a side dish. So I am going to use all of those quarts to make pies. I love sweet potato pie and am hoping the soft texture will make good pies for me. Has anyone here made pies out of canned sweet potatoes?

BTW, there is no accounting for taste, but the poodle loves the canned sweet potatoes.

• matthias_lang

I think that would be a great use of them, as I assume they are very soft. Being so soft, they would be so easy to mash to incorporate the eggs, sugar, and spices. (I haven't ever canned sw. pots myself.) I might use the water in soup, stew or noodles if it has much color and substance in it.

• digdirt2

Agree that it should work fine. The appeal of the quality of them after canning all depends on how you use them after opening - just as with so many canned goods.

In our house they work just fine heated up right out of the jar and fork mashed on the plate just like boiled whites do. A little butter and salt and pepper or a sprinkle of brown sugar and chopped pecan - YUM.. But primarily we use them mashed or pureed in all sorts of recipes for sides.

Dave