Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahren_osterbrink

I'm pretty sure I have the ugliest kitchen ever. Help?!?

ahreno
6 years ago

I'm lost. I had a fire in my house and remodeled with the insurance money... i've gone through too many colors in the kitchen and now am seeking some outside help. i'm not afraid of loud colors but whatever we have going on right now isn't working.

the original plan was burnt orange walls with light cream cabinets with a dark brown wash (or whatever its called when you add a top color then wipe it off). This looked ok but the cabinets just looked dirty.

from there we went to what we have now... a slightly offwhite/cream walls with blue cabinets. We went off a pinterest photo for the cabinets and, well, it looked better in the photo. again we went with a dark wash and it looks better but the blue is bad.

My issue i think is the espresso brown counter tops. I love them but they seem limiting in my color choices. I also have greenish slate floor tiles that have a good range of earth-tone colors in them. I also have an (amazing) African mahogany farmhouse style sink.

any suggestions for colors? bonus points for actual color names. I think my best option is a natural wood (bamboo or similiar) light colored cabinets but thats way out of my price range right now. I'm open to painting everything one more time.

Comments (29)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

If you were looking to create a kitchen with blue cabinets, a less intense color would have been more successful. Matching appliances would help and it's obvious the lighting needs to be revised in the room. The copper sink and faucet seems to have no design basis.

How can you remodel a kitchen and still end up with a garbage can in the middle of the room? Did you use a kitchen designer for this remodel?

The bare wall might be better used with open shelving.

ahreno thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • k9arlene
    6 years ago

I think I’d choose the green from your floor and repaint the cabinets that color. After that, I think you’ll need to repaint your walls something other than the stark white.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

Oh my.....Do you not have enough cabinet space for all of the stuff on your countertops? The biggest issue in this kitchen is the color of the cabinets. It is hard to see the color of the countertops.

• PRO
    OPPEIN Group
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Maybe the core thing you want is to make the whole kitchen looks harmonious. The best solution with the lowest price is that maybe you can choose some pendant lamp for your kitchen to make the blue color go with the things in your kitchen.

other colors for references

• PRO
    Color Zen
    6 years ago

A color in the gray green realm would tie everything you mention together PERFECTLY! ;) It's the missing link...

• mick50
    6 years ago

Yeah, the bright blue is pretty awful. I think with the brown counters and sink and slate (?) floor, I'd go back to cream cabinets with a brown glaze. The glaze has to be done right to keep it from looking dirty. The same thing happened with our cream cabinets. They looked like someone had smeared mud randomly on the white. We had them redone with a light glaze that only went in the grooves and they're beautiful. Get someone to do it right. Then paint walls taupe or sage green.

My glazed cabinet doors (two different styles):

What your kitchen could look like:

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

Don't use a glaze. Always looks dirty.

The SW Naval blue is awesome, unless you are going for the Bahamian color look, in which case your cabinets should be white or wood and the walls should be blue. Here is google images of bright colors in the kitchen.....https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS746US746&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=QO45WsLwM6ejggeXqpDoAQ&q=bright+colors+in+the+kitchen&oq=bright+colors+in+the+kitchen&gs_l=psy-ab.3...11231.13376.0.13935.8.8.0.0.0.0.124.723.3j4.7.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.1.124...0i24k1.0.fJWM0NqfaM0

Most of the bright colors have white cabinets and the bright colors are accents.

What do you want the finished product to look like? Do you have some pictures of how you would like it to look when you are done?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Kathi,,,nice pics. these are stunning

consider doing some glass in the upper cabinets.

notice w/this color, it is an accent. everything else is white while this blue island is the show stopper. That's why I mentioned leaving your sink base and pantry as is and doing everything else in a nice white.

• E Law
    6 years ago
    You have earth tones in the flooring and counters and they work well with that cool sink but the blue is too bright. A deep dark blue like Salty Dog from Sherwin Williams might work OR do a gray green like Sandy Hook Gray from Benjamin Moore. But you might have to change out the white appliances to not have so much contrast.
    Alternatively--choose a mid range tan or gray and paint just your walls and see how you like it. Simplest solution if it works! Best of luck and please post "after pictures".
    ahreno thanked E Law
  • Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

Beth....those are awesome! I knew you could find the good ones out of that tangle mess of pictures!

I kind of felt like that what the OP was leaning towards. They might clash with the floor, though. Maybe the SW Naval would be better.

• ahreno
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions... the stuff is all on counter tops because its thanksgiving and was a mad house... same reason the garbage can is out... easier to just pull it out and leave it than continuously opening and closing the door to it.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

Oh....Okay. You might benefit from a rolling island.

• teamaltese
    6 years ago
    I like the color! Frankly, I’d leave it all alone, and work on bringing in a third color, equally bright, to use as an accent. A sunflower yellow, or pepper red, used in a bowl, linens, countertop appliances, etc. you’ll have a bright, happy kitchen.
  • artistsharonva
    6 years ago

Here are some rough sketch images to help.

Whatever color chosen, paint inside open shelving (above microwave)

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Do you want a bright color that will dominate the kitchen or do you want a paint color that will emphasize the mahogany sink and harmonize with the slate floors?

If you post some new photos in daylight with the lights on, that'd be very helpful.

• ahreno
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I just want it or look unugly.

it's in a house I own in Oregon and rent out. no plans to sell. it's in a colorful neighborhood where bright colors, both inside and out are the norm... I'm aware it's not everyone's cup of tea... neither is a bright turquoise exterior house next to a bright purple garage... but I get compliments almost daily and the house would sell quite quickly I'm sure.

thank you for the mock ups.
  • ahreno
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sophie, I'm curious why you think my new house will cost $100k to do the kitchen? using Ikea cabinets it'll come in easily under $10k for cabinets and I can keep appliance to under $10k easily even if I splurge on a nice fridge OR stove.
  • acm
    6 years ago

Yeah, I didn't get that either.

I like some of the subdued blues, but honestly, I think the best suggestion here has been to match the green in your floors -- it can be a cheery color, but more on the earthy side, like a sage green. I think that will make all your finishes come together and really shine.

No glaze -- as you've seen, it just makes the cabinets look dirty, and it's much less popular now as a result.

• lhutch13
    6 years ago
    Sophie thinks all kitchens cost 100k. Never mind if your whole house is only valued at 100k.

TBH, I love the sage green kitchen like up above with your brown countertops. With creamy white walls and copper accents would be really sharp.
  • remodeling1840
    6 years ago
    Don’t despair! You’re not finished. Color zen sent you a great picture of gray cabinets with open shelves. I am not saying to paint over your blue, but add shelves that match your sink in the area on the stove wall. Find dishes, serving bowls, etc. with your blue color and an accent color you like to display on those shelves.You could even design a hood with a touch of the wonderful wood. And have those shelves on either side. When your budget allows, change the fridge and range to stainless. The last part of the puzzle will be wall paint, but it will be easier to pick a color when your wood accents are in place.
  • housegal200
    6 years ago

So sorry you had a fire. That's traumatic. Plenty of people make wrong color choices without a fire! White uppers the same white as your walls with existing blue lowers would really, really help. Also, major decluttering needs to be done ASAP by whoever is living there. Stuff needs to go into cabinets and off counters. The result will be a much better vibe. Good luck!

• ahreno
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    ignore the clutter... it was the only photos I had and was in the middle of cooking for 20+ adults.

I like the green too. so many good ideas in this thread.

should I keep the crown the same color as cabinet uppers?
  • lhutch13
    6 years ago
    Unless that same crown goes all around the top
    Of your kitchen, yes keep the same color as the cabinets.
  • Denita
    6 years ago

I am not a designer, I'm a Realtor. I was scrolling through the Houzz photos looking at blue kitchens to see what could reasonably be done without having to get rid of the cabinetry you have already put in place. Here is the link I used: [https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-with-blue-cabinets-ideas-phbr2-bp~t_709~s_2104~a_17-91[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-with-blue-cabinets-ideas-phbr2-bp~t_709~s_2104~a_17-91)

I chose eclectic for your style, but there are other styles that you can choose to see what works for you.

I noticed that when the kitchen had blue cabinetry, the rest of the kitchen was primarily neutrals to soften the look. See some of these pics in the link above. I am posting a couple for you to see.

Here is link to this entire kitchen with blue cabinets

https://www.houzz.com/projects/163518/tashmoo-cottage

^This kitchen pulls off several bright colors. https://www.houzz.com/projects/2731299/the-colourful-fun-shaker-kitchen

^Toned down with white and SS.

You can get the effect you are seeking...it will just take a little more research and help with colors to work with your current cabinets. Consider not having as many uppers and changing your appliances to soften the current blue.

• Denita
    6 years ago

Here is one more insp pic that has blue cabinets and they have successfully pulled off this color by surrounding it with white walls, backsplash, walls etc and a medium toned floor. Note the upper cabinets have lots of glass too.

Pick some artwork that expresses your style and has the cabinet color in it + other colors. This will help tie the whole kitchen together IMO.

• PRO
    Top Tier Tile LLC
    6 years ago

Blue needs to go, unless you're into it! Go with a color that matches, close to the trim around that door I see. Maybe a white to dark grey color. Just make sure you like it, thats all that matters really!

• nicole___
    6 years ago

You've been given so many beautiful options...just painting your cabinets changes everything! That space is just waiting to be classed up! My favorite of all the suggestions is THIS one...

• dqj1968
    6 years ago

Critics are everywhere. Sorry I don't have any advice....You ask for suggestions and some people instead complain about the garbage can in the room or the stuff on the counters. Jeeze. I love this site (I did get some great advice when I redid my kitchen-which came out, meh despite asking for help) but I also hate it for that reason. I think that color is funky fresh. You'll get it figured out! Incidentally, I did hire an interior decorator to help with the kitchen paint and she had me purchase new paint and after I spent 6 hours painting it looked similar to the original color. OMG! I was ticked off to say the least. Good designers and decorators are hard to come by.