Software
Houzz Logo Print
emily_larson32

Venting a Stove

8 years ago

Last night we met with one of our top pick general contractors. One of the concerns he had is venting the hood above our stove. He said it would be very difficult to do with the current location and suggested that we place it on the West side of the kitchen closer to an exterior wall and away from the dining bump out. I feel like that's going to completely change the functionality of my kitchen. I plan to get some second opinions from another potential GC or HVAC professional. But I was wondering if any of the pros on here has another suggestion for keeping the stove where it is. Thank you!





Comments (7)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Maybe it is my eyes, but I can't tell for sure what is what. Is that the stove that backs up on the stairs and a fridge that backs up on the mud room? What's that in front of the pantry?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You could go up, but would require a bulkhead pillar near the stairs to hide the ductwork.....

    Perhaps a good place to hang a picture.

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks for the comments! I spoke to another contractor who said that venting shouldn’t be a problem and that there are a few options to do it. The option I like the best so far would be to run the vent under the stairs then up into Bedroom #3 closet. I also agree that the kitchen arrangement needs to be changed. Here’s an option that seems to be more functional.
  • 8 years ago

    We are redesigning our kitchen now and have heard that with every turn and every 10 feet you need to account for an additional 100 CFM in your hood. I would just make sure that with the options you are considering you don't have to have a hood that sounds like a jet plane to account for the extra CFM's. My guess is that the first contractor is being realistic and advising it as the way it should be done. The second opinion either doesn't know better or just wants to bet creative accommodate your wishes. It sounds like you could really do either, just a matter of what might be the most effective.

  • 8 years ago

    If the blower is on the roof, a pilot light might be needed to advertise the fact that it is running lest you forget to switch it off.

  • 8 years ago

    An adequate blower on the roof will, at least at the higher end of its speed range, still be detectable due to baffle turbulence noise at the hood. If you go with a blower on the roof, and have the room along the ducting, a silencer in the path will keep much of the blower blade turbulence noise from making it to the hood (and hence the cook).

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH