Software
Houzz Logo Print
memlex

Curb Appeal & Landscaping Disaster

13 years ago
We bought a spec home about 10 years ago and most of the plants/bushes were planted by the builder. Now that everything has grown, the landscaping looks overgrown and crowded... not to mention boring.

We are located in Columbus, Ohio and are looking for suggestions on how to make our landscaping look better. We don't want to spend a fortune, but do not have a problem with investing in new plants/bushes/trees/etc...

Thanks!

Comments (17)

  • 13 years ago
    More pictures...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This is really very attractive, but some of the shrubs need to be pruned back, while retaining the natural form. A good gardener could do this for you. Beyond that, I'll leave it to the other Houzzers..
  • 13 years ago
    I don't think it's that bad - it looks like it just needs some TLC. Some clean up around the entrance way, especially.

    I think maybe it's a little lopsided- the left (from the POV looking at the house) doesn't seem to have as much going on as the right.

    Otherwise... My husband would probably love this, he favors the cleaner landscaping looks... I'm more into perennial gardens, flowering shrubs, planters mixed in here and there - That's just a matter of personal preference, though. When you say you feel like it's a little boring, what are you thinking? Are there other things that catch your eye?
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with the other posters, pruning will make a huge difference. Have you considered adding a tree to the left side of the house? I like how the builder followed the shape of the house on the right side. You could take your pictures to a local nursery and they would be able to help you. I do think that the plants right by the front entrance makes it appear very crowded. You have a very beautiful home!!
  • 13 years ago
    Beautiful home! I think the curb appeal of your home would be greatly improved by new hardscaping with a much wider walkway, that sweeps around to the front door. Your home looks very large and gracious so the urns seem to small relative to the size of the home. Ditto for your light fixtures. Hardscaping is expensive but it will make a world of difference to this home.

    A formal French look would suit your home well which means there could be spiral topiaries in large urns. I would make a much larger sweeping bed to the left of the front door whiich could include clipped box, and a tree on the left corner of the house to soften that side. Drive around your neighborhood and see what appeals to you. Then you can call in a professional who knows what plants do well in your particular climate.
  • 13 years ago
    You have great bones for a classic English garden here. Needs some trimming anf pruning, something taller framing the two small windows on the left, and a new, wider, paver sidewalk. Replace the wood bench with a stone or concrete one. I'd also do an ornament tree out in the middle of the lawn. Dogwood would do nicely in Ohio.
  • 13 years ago
    I have decided to remove the two bushes on each side of the front door. They were too large for the small space they were in. Should I put something tall and skinny in their places?
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, but whatever goes there will need lots of pruning on a regular basis since the area next to the door is small and you don't want to impinge upon the lamps. Pruniing must be regular rather than sporadic, otherwise you'll have to cut back into the woody part of the shrub. There is a holly called sky pencil which is naturally very narow. I don't know what temps it takes, though which is why a local professional will be much better able to assist you.
  • 13 years ago
    I think maybe you could get away with taking out the bushes and having fuller (taller) planters?
  • 13 years ago
    I think some Hydragea bushes would look great to the left of the house by the 2 windows which I think is the garage.
  • 13 years ago
    You have a beautiful home and a few changes would make it outstanding.
    Remove the two plantings by the door. Thin and prune the rest. Add some colorful plantings to the left side of the house, try softening the edge line with curves for a softer more inviting look.
    Add a taller tree to the left front yard away from the house to create some definition and if financially possible move the walkway away from the house and soften the lines with curves instead of straight lines. Pavers would create beautiful curb appeal.
    Have fun with it!!
    .
  • 13 years ago
    To add to my last comment, two trees that would look lovely in your front yard and do well in your zone are the Jacquemonti clump birch or the sand cherry. I have had both and they are stunning. The sand cherry has a red/purple wood with a small pink flower in the Spring and would look stunning with the color of your stone.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think your home is beautiful and agree with the other comments. Have you checked out the landscape pro's on Houzz here in Columbus? Looks to be many to choose from. I'm sure they could add some great details that you are looking for.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes, mistake #1 is not investing in a good design first. Get a landscape architect/designer in your area. They can create a plan that you can execute immediately, or in stages as you can afford.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Investing in a professional landscape design from someone in your area will save you money and headaches in the long run, AND avoid the same "disaster" from happening again. ; )
  • 11 years ago

    You say it is just over grown. That is easy to fix. Pune everything back to 1/2 its current size or even smaller. You could do this in stages. The plants will look like dead sticks but some times yo have to tell the bush "you are three times as big as I want you to be." and fix it. Just do a few at a time. While you are at it use something to define the edges of the grass and use a lot of red mulch under your newly pruned plants.