Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melanie_miller37

tv/fireplace help!!

Melanie Miller
6 years ago
I have a massive fireplace! I want to hang the tv on the wall..should I get rid of the stone ledge and hang tv and put console underneath? Or hang tv keep stone ledge? Won’t it look unbalanced with just a tv hanging and this massive stone structure to the right? No clue what to do?!? Thank you in advance for any ideas!!!!

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

wow. that is huge and a lot of stone. I'm sure that's a whole other dilemma.

ok, so have you thought about hanging the tv dead center on that wall? Not too high. yes, a wall mount. drop the cords in the wall if you can or get one of those remote hook ups that Jan was talking about on another post. no wires at all.

that little stand you currently have is too small and too modern looking for your room. hang on the wall first to get an idea. maybe you could put something low in that corner like dog beds or get a tall potted plant for the corner.

instead of that cushion you have on there (do you actually sit on it?) do some pattered pillows,,,maybe blacks/white/greens or a sheepskin throw.

do you have an area rug you can use for under the coffee table?

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

What's going on behind the brown chair, lower right in the pic?

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

Would the tv fit on the little ledge you have a cushion on? Then furniture can see both the fireplace and the tv

• Melanie Miller
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    So, yes I was going to hang the tv in the middle and hide the cords...I just bought new couches and was waiting to get the tv hung then move onto finding a rug and a new coffee table or ottoman..maybe paint the wall with the tv an accent color? I have tons of ideas, but am a single teacher so gotta do things in steps..so you are saying hang the tv first and see how it looks? The cushion was made to fit the ledge when I first bought the house and had different colors:) any rug and or ottoman/coffee table/paint ideas welcome
  • Melanie Miller
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @decoenthusiast
  • Melanie Miller
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste
  • Melanie Miller
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @woodteam5 the tv wood fit but it would be too low
  • Melanie Miller
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @Beth H. I’m attaching more pics and responded to your comment above..thanks ladies! Keep the ideas coming I’m SO stuck on everything with this living room-excuse awful lighting and mess
  • Melanie Miller
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I know awful lighting couches are new
  • Melanie Miller
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here’s the other side
  • Melanie Miller
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Man! My pics aren’t coming up..trying again
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

if you center it over the ledge seat, then no one could sit there. center it on the wall or off over the blank area,,,,but then you would need a piece of art to fill in that blank area over the ledge.

few rug ideas...these are from 125-250. big enough to fit under sofas and coffee table. take some blue tape and mark it off to give you an idea of size.

[https://www.houzz.com/products/vivian-area-rug-ivory-charcoal-6x9-prvw-vr~69907398[(https://www.houzz.com/products/vivian-area-rug-ivory-charcoal-6x9-prvw-vr~69907398)

look at the detailed photo on this one and notice the black pouf in the pic. you could do something like that in the corner but in a teal or dark yellow. I also like dark charcoals and blacks and whites.

[https://www.houzz.com/products/southwestern-lodge-blythe-area-rug-rectangle-gray-710x1010-prvw-vr~55881101[(https://www.houzz.com/products/southwestern-lodge-blythe-area-rug-rectangle-gray-710x1010-prvw-vr~55881101)

[https://www.houzz.com/products/machine-made-tracce-tc02-rug-blue-9x12-prvw-vr~37327814[(https://www.houzz.com/products/machine-made-tracce-tc02-rug-blue-9x12-prvw-vr~37327814)

• mmilos
    6 years ago

I doubt anyone wants to sit on that ledge.

BTW, I'm a guy - so giving you a male perspective.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

Maybe remove the bench piece and do something like this:

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

That could be a huge project, but if you only eliminate the ledge on the one side, that will allow you to place the TV

• jillvilla82
    6 years ago
    I disagree that you should center the tv on the wall. It'll look unbalanced because the ledge will continue to draw the eye. As others have said, you could hang the tv on the wall over the ledge. In that case, get some decorative baskets, large vases, or even a planter to put on the ledge and fill the space.

Or, you can do something like this if you can find a tv console the right size. (I think this one is so ugly, btw, but it demonstrates my idea.)
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Melanie, do me a favor and take another shot of the wall, straight on, but with the tv out of the picture. If you can. This angle, but step to the right a little bit. trying to capture the entire wall, straight shot, from behind the sofa.

• jillvilla82
    6 years ago
    Another idea would be to incorporate that ledge into "built in" shelves. You can achieve this look as a DIY project if you are handy enough to stain/paint and hang shelves. The simplest way would be to get a piece of wood that is the same width as your ledge and either the same length or longer (such as all the way to the other wall) and either paint it or stain it. The two tone fireplace pic below is sort of what I mean (the different colors show how yours would look with different materials instead of colors).

Then, to the left you could do floating shelves like in the picture, arranged around your tv to "frame" it in, or, get a large bookcase/cabinet to fill the space. If you go the bookcase route, I'd get one with adjustable shelves so you can match the height of the first shelf to your ledge, and then cut the piece of wood that rests on the ledge to fit flush up against the unit. A lumber supplier should have some nice trim that you can add to make it look like it was all meant to be attached, and matching the paint/stain will make the whole thing look cohesive.

I did something like this in my mud room to avoid paying outrageous money for custom built ins. I will try to take a picture so you can see how I "pieced" together some pre-made unfinished furniture to make them look like they are one unit. I attached a photo below of a bookcase that would look great in your space (IMO) and would work for a project like I described.

I hope it makes sense the way I explained it; my husband didn't get it when I was planning our mudroom and was bored to tears listening to me share my idea, but he's enjoying my "vision" now that all 4 of my kids have a place to hang their coats and store their shoes.
  • PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    6 years ago

Since you can't obviously hang the TV over the fireplace. Try hanging it in the center of the wall. It might work well.

• Adam Calabrese
    6 years ago

That's a cool fireplace. The ledge is in the way. But it would be dfficult to remove the ledge without extra work to make the bottom of the fireplace and left brick wall look good - even though the brickwork is done in a "rustic" style. And then you might need to match the existing wood floor if it doesn't extend completely under the ledge. And then of course match and extend the baseboard to the fireplace. And then possibly drywall and paint, or just paint the wall.

I do agree that the ledge won't be used often for seating. It's too far away from the fireplace and angled poorly so that you can't sit comfortably and warm your back or toes.

However, I'm assuming that the ledge won't be removed in the near future, if at all.

Your choice for TV placement may be informed by your relationship to acoustics. I always want a good sound bar and good left and right front speakers (good quality bookshelf size are OK) by the TV. I dislike any modern TV speakers. If you are OK with only a decent sound bar, and don't forsee the need for a TV much larger than the one that you have, then mount it above the ledge. Don't mount it too high. Give yourself enough room for a small shelf on top the ledge for components (as mentioned above by jillvilla82). Drop the wires behind the wall. Mount a small sound bar under the TV (there are brackets for that). I like the idea of wall mounting some wood shelves around the TV. You can mount them above, and maybe even below if they are deep enough and you use them for any components. Center the TV mount above the ledge so that you can get a bigger TV in the future if you think that's a possibility. What I mean is so that a bigger TV would still be centered. I wouldn't go any bigger horizontally than the width of the existing ledge, though.

Then you have a cozy area where you can watch TV and see the fire at the same time. And it is away from the window and it's direct light into your eyes.

If I wasn't removing the ledge, I would mount the TV on the wall (unsure if centered on wall or on open space to left of ledge). But that's because stereo speakers and a sound bar are requirements for me.

If I had enough money, I would remove the ledge (I think it looks awkward when viewing the entire room) and mount the TV on the wall a bit right of center - closer to the fireplace than the wall with windows. Then I would put a small entertainment/media center under it for my stereo and video components.

-Another guy's perspective

• Adam Calabrese
    6 years ago

I just noticed the plug on the face of the ledge. My guess is that things are not finished behind it, and there would be a bit of work to make it nice if you removed it.

If it stays, I would still mount the TV above it (hopefully it's wide enough). You may have to get creative for power source if you put electronics on the wall there, assuming you don't want a flat plug extension cord plugged into the ledge outlet and then run up to the TV.

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Would you consider having the fireplace itself (but not the flat stone wall) stuccoed to,lighten the mass and create a southwestern feel?!?
  • Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

I would either center tv over ledge or build a built in around the ledge and one matching on the other side and center tv on the wall.

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Could run built in from one side to other a little taller then ledge to cover it. Could use as storage and on ledge side just have faux doors to match the rest of it

• jpp221
    6 years ago
    That is one weird fireplace.

Assuming you can’t (or don’t want to) rid yourself of it, I’d:

- as others have said, centre the tv over the ledge

- paint the wall above the ledge a grey tone, sort of the colour of the tv screen when the tv is off. This moves the focus to that area and stops the tv from looking lonely on a big wall.

- remove that decoration hanging over the fireplace. It just highlights the fireplace’s oddness by throwing in one element from a totally different period. They fight with each other and both lose.

- find a woven wall hanging, but don’t hang it, drape it over the half-wall to the right of the fireplace, minimizing the stonework that feels like its overtaking the room.
  • Melanie Miller
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your tips and ideas! I knew I either I had to get rid of the ledge or incorporate it into a cabinet/shelving situation. So I decided to get rid of it. I got a sledge hammer and in one day got rid of it only to find wood paneling underneath! So I’m going to tape and float and cap the electric outlet- luckily I have extra flooring in my attic . So ..I’m all set for now! Thanks again!!!