edubya

POLL: Light or Dark Bottom Pools?

Emily H

So many pools and so little time! There are so many gorgeous pools to look at here, and it's hard to pick a favorite. If you were to choose between a light or dark bottom pool, what would you prefer?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Light
Dark
Other - Tell us below!

Dark bottomed pools can be sexy and gorgeous, however, light ones allow us to spot spiders and other varmints that have fallen into the pool, which we do not wish to encounter whilst swimming. Also cute frogs and salamanders for us to rescue!

Happy Haute Home

Definitely dark!! Dark colored bottoms are beautiful

Pool lights

do led, rbi... color changing remote control.. set your own mood.

Need ideas for lighting fixtures and door to pool house

light the ferns with up light (landscape lighting)or path lighting, down the path, and then put a wall mounted light on the right side of the door.

POLL: Kitchen Island Lighting - Pendants or Chandelier?

Ooooh we do like our pendants, especially these copper ones:But we agree, it all depends on the space and what's important to you... What you don't want is lots of design features fighting for attention in your kitchen - but if you love statement lighting and want a strong focal point to come from above, a chandelier can definitely add a bit of drama to your kitchen!

POLL: Are hot tubs worth the money?

we bought ours in 1995. my husband used it most every day. the pumps were rebuilt over and over, went through 3 or 4 covers and loved every minute of it. had major leak this winter so we drained it around Christmas. We are definitely getting another. talk about sticker shock! but averaged over 20 years I guess its not too bad! can't imagine having one indoors or under cover. shooting stars and satellites make the soak even more enjoyable. tracyzyg, I would never get a Hot springs spa - way over priced, you are paying for the name and the MANY employees in each store. went to our local dealers yearly truckload "sale" and the tubs on sale ranged from $8,000 to $18,000. I found better, cheaper ones out there and have chosen a MAAX spa because of the way they are built and it has 2 loungers. all the bells and whistles for less than a comparable Hot springs sale tub.
    Lowes

We had a cow from the neighbors farm in our pool one day. I think I would have noticed her regardless of the color!

• Denita

lol...now I will never get this image out of my head! Yes, a cow would be visible even if the pool gunite was dark!

Lowes

Awesome! You would have loved seeing the cow being lifted out of the pool with a strap around its belly hooked to the front bucket of the tractor :)

• ludienugier

Depending on where you live and how hot it is. I have had a pool for many, many years. The dark plaster warms quicker, but need some shade in the afternoon as the water gets too warm. But the look is very natural. Our pool now has blue/gray pebble texture and the water is the color of a windex bottle. To us it is perfect.

• Lauren Oakes

I had to rescue a kid from bottom of a white bottom pool once as Club lifeguards had Flight of the Valkeries blasting so none of them or us heard his (admittedly he was a handicapped kid so the cries were not strong) cries, and they were flirting with each otehr rather than doing their job. I had to walk around the pool to see him past the reflections on the surface of the water though the pool was white plaster. He survived, my cell and keys fobs did not. And I defy anyone to find my hard contact lenses in either colour pool. C'est la vie.

• Ray Bunch

Our pool is dark, rich blue..which looked incredible for a couple of years. However, scratches & marks from cleaning have marred the look over time. In a do-over, we'd go light.

• Delaine M
    We have a free-form, grey bottom colored pool and love the look. Our back yard is surrounded by woods so it fits nicely with the natural surroundings. However, after 19 years we, this year, have to reset all the stonework and re-plaster the bottom. It shows pitting and scratches mainly from the chlorine. If you choose a dark bottom make sure you sweep the bottom after treating with chemicals. I do think this adds to the ‘rustic’ look of the pool so it’s a matter of preference. Keep in mind that young kids may think dark bottom pools are a little creepy if you have little ones!
  • Scott Belt
    I voted other because I feel that it depends on the surroundings and look that you are trying to achieve. Other factors include climate and efficiency. Darker pools will heat up faster and achieve an overall higher temperature than lighter pools which may not be the best choice in warmer climates.
    I put a dark colored safety cover on my light colored pool which makes a dramatic difference from the old light grey cover it had when I bought it. I no longer need a heater at all unless I’m impatient at the beginning of the season and then for only a day. The down side is that later in the season it tends to get too hot. 100 degrees is too hot for me and not at all refreshing. Feels more like a bathtub than a pool. To cool it down I rotate the nozzles toward the surface and leave it uncovered and run the pump overnight. This will drop the temp 5 degrees per night.
    Talk to others in your area before you decide dark or light as aesthetics are only part of the equation.
  • Scott Belt
  • jcampb576

Go with the light - it changes color during the day , depending on shade or cloud cover- also much easier to clean- you can see any debris

• Andree Flemming
    In Florida it's very important to know what's in the water, because alligators have been found in the pool. Nobody wants to jump in the pool and find a gator or a snake.
  • M. AGEMA
    We’re in Michigan and installed a 12-person spa using a dark grey gunite bottom to blend with the house ledge stone. Instead of the eye drawn to the pool, the eye is drawn to Lake Michigan instead. We use pool lights at night to bring emphasis back to the patio. We’re pleased with the decision.
  • dragonfly44

Definitely light. I live in New Mexico. With a dark surface you can't see if you are swimming with rattlesnakes in the pool.

• Carol Catlin
    Light. White, or pale turquoise, it feels like vacation.
  • Simon Strauss

We have a "green" pool. It looks fantastic in the evening and good during our bright sunny days here in Queensland Australia.

http://www.hamptonsonharcourt.com/gallery.html

• denisemfreund
    I am so sorry, Lori. ❤
  • Roberta Millman-Ide
    I live on the intracoastal Waters in Florida. Those who have dark pool bottoms have a unique problem....since the pool looks more like a pond than a pool...birds often land on the water and stay for a while. I personally do not want to swim where birds poop. Nicely lit dark bottom pools can look beautiful in an indoor pool..but keep the outdoor ones light and less inviting to the wildlife.
    Urban Upkeep LLC
    What if you painted it to look like a coral reef?
  • Robin Harvey

Too many small children get "lost" in the bottom of dark pools. Take it from an anesthesia professional - Don't do it.

• 1956bg

White plaster gives the beautiful traditional light bright blue look. That’s what a pool should look like. My Dad liked the light blue, and my Dad was never wrong. I like the light blue and I’m not wrong either. Never go against tradition.

Hrivnak Associates, Ltd.

Robin Harvey - sincere thanks for your insights. (and I happen to agree) I also believe that painting swimmer's stripes with the "T" at each end help to avoid painful crashes into the walls. Just saw photos of a pool on a house while shopping - rectangular with stairs full width across one of the shorter sides - ruined for anyone wanting to actually "swim" in a "swimming" pool. Alas...

• blacherciv

Show an image of a dark-bottom pool, please!

• venniefrancis

I live in tropical Queensland, Australia, where the choice of a light pool is a necessity to avoid swimming with venomous snakes. At the time our pool was being recoated, I was nearing the end of a house renovation and was persuaded by the pool company to opt for a white quartz finish which would result in pale blue water. They also suggested that a green light in the pool would look beautiful. I was preoccupied by the house renovations and simply went with the flow on the issue of the pool light. I had my doubts, concerned that a green light might be a bit kitsch, but was tired and completely worn down by the constant decision-making process. I figured that I would only be using the pool during the heat of the day and never at night, so the colour of the light was not really relevant. How wrong I was. The green light under the blue water luminesces and the pool looks like a fabulous big opal at night. Such a simple thing, but sometimes the professionals know best. The first thing we do in the evenings before retreating to the porch with a glass of wine is turn on the pool light that we never actually intended using.

• camillabryce
    I live in the PNW where most outdoor pools have a limited yearly use. I grew up swimming in streams and lakes and to me, dark bottoms mean cold water. Just a bit of Pavlovian response, I guess. Light bottomed pools read warmer, more like the ideal tropical vacation photos a la Travel & Leisure.
  • beautifulquebec

I never actually thought about it. Mine is light. If I had to choose I am not sure what I would go for. Dark looks more natural to me, but I think it depends on the look you want to have, the atmosphere you want and the style of your backyard.

True Radiance

Have pools and would never have dark as if something dead in bottom you can't see it. Also with algae you can't see it. Never put dark because to many unseen things. Not nearly as pretty as light pool. May be somewhat warmer but solar is great. When you go to resorts you don't see dark pools don't do it scary if you ask me.

• Bev

I love a light bottomed pool! It's much easier to see the bottom when you dive in and you can avoid anything nasty as well!

• Terry Benes
    I prefer light so I can see if there is anything in the pool that shouldn't be there; snakes, etc.
  • Daryl G

I prefer a light colored pool anyday!!! However, if money were no object I would run straight to Mr. Cipriano for this custom Stradivaris pool with copper tiles!!

• trieste50

We built (hired!) an in-ground cement pool, and had it painted black because we wanted it to reflect the sky, and to absorb heat from the sun. We loved it! Rarely did we need to use the pool heater (in Minnesota!), and it was really lovely. The water looked a rich blue - reflected from the sky. It was a fresh water pool (no chlorine) so the color was natural. We would do it again without hesitation.

• christine4050
    I love the look of a dark pool. IMO, very serene. Lighter pools just made me feel like it was nothing special..... may as well be at a public pool. I completely changed my mind when a friend with a dark pool said they find themselves swimming with snakes because they can't see them until they're in the pool. No thank you. I have since put in a light colored pool and love it. We put our focus on tile color and pool amenities.
  • Windy Chime
    Wanted modern look. Went light :) however everything shows, EVERYTHING!!! lol! I’d choose it again though, not a fan of dark water.
  • Windy Chime
  • chavezlrc

Light colored! Don't regret it one bit…

• summersrhythm_z6a

I love dark blue pools! It’s just a personal taste, it looks more dramatic than a light colored one.

• tenamarie123

Definitely Caribbean-esque light! To me they just look so much more bright and clean and just overall way more inviting.

• lee1231
    I’m in Texas and we are going to choose a light color for the bottom of the pool so we can see if snakes or rats get in it. Yikes!
  • hallsandra9746

Texas?? I am in Mississippi and the first thing to do is get the baby snakes and frogs out of the skimmers before anyone jumps in. Oh, and a dead possum and a very mad snapping turtle. Dark bottom? No way.

• Jordan Rapoud
    Light bottom pools bring more power to the sun and summer vibes. If dark, the water will not reflect what we perceive as a clean water, and pleasure to swim might lower.
  • kulrn

I read this poll before installing my pool this summer. I'm in Texas also and went with white. Does not look like a hotel pool as some think. And learning they stay cooler was a big plus. I can see everything, but I like to see what's in the pool so I can get the dirt out!

New home · More Info

Ultimate Water Creations Inc.

You can have a light and dark swimming pool floor just like these photo of our client's swimming pool! The baja ledge starts shallow with a light colored bottom then gradually gets darker the deeper it gets!

Pools · More Info

Naturalistic Pools with Grotto · More Info

Ultimate Water Creations Inc.

I do not understand Arabic. Please respond in English