Software
Houzz Logo Print
jdub1234

Back splash - help with matching quartz and Alabster cabinets

8 years ago

Hello, I keep typing up this post and it won't go through so I'm going to try it with just one picture at a time. Forgive me if this is a double post! We are renovating an entire house... it's 88 years old and basically a total gut. I need help with which back splash will go with our counter tops. Here is a drawing of the kitchen.






Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago

    The wall in between the kitchen and bar is the old exterior (the addition was done in the 1960's) and it's brick. It had a really thick layer of white paint on it and we've been sandblasting it. Any ideas on ways to finish this brick?



  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The cabinets are this style, but in Alabaster white. The island and bar are naval.

  • 8 years ago

    Here's the island counter top:


    We were going to go with a white perimeter for the counters, but decided on carrera quartz. It's the 3rd stone from the right.


  • 8 years ago

    The floors are hardwood, but we haven't decided on the color yet, but I like something like this:


    The plumbing fixtures and pulls are brushed nickel and the appliances are stainless. Here are the faucets.


    Any advice for the back splash (and anything else!) is appreciated as I am so overwhelmed making all these decisions! Thank you!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I hope it's not frowned upon for me to bump this. Can anyone please help with the decisions on back splash for our kitchen? I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to look at it and critique! The brick wall is throwing me off because I'm afraid of making the overall look too busy.

  • 8 years ago

    Hi, you really should wait until your lights and counters are in before choosing the actual backsplash tile.

    But for planning, you are right, the brick is a strong element, and you have movement in both your counters. I would stick with a white tile that works with your cabinets and counter background. You could possibly use a beveled subway tile to stand up to the brick. You'd have to see if it's too busy. Take a look at square tiles, another possibility to set off your brick. Winchester Tiles offers classic English squares and rectangles (what we generically call subway tile now). You can look at their tile on the web with dealers throughout the US.

    Otherwise, you'll be fine with white subway tiles. Your kitchen will be gorgeous!


    Jdub4040 thanked barncatz
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you! I really appreciate you posting that picture too. it really helps me to visualize things. I am the worst at decorating and design and can never seem to pull the trigger on a decision.

    I will go look at Winchester Tiles to see the ideas you posted.

  • 8 years ago

    Hi there Jdub4040. I'm in love with your choices and I'm a HUGE fan of old brick being brought back to life. Personally, I wouldn't do anything to the brick but a little more sandblasting of the white....I love it!!!! It belongs in that house and is a huge statement....doesn't need to be perfect! I'm very eclectic and not a designer. I agree that you need to wait on the decision for the back splash. I'm in the process of doing an entire kitchen remodel and I have decided to wait until the cabinets and counters are in. You can then place different choices on the counter until you find the one that hits you. I like the mix of hardwood lights and darks!!!! So, with that being said, you have a red brick wall, blue island, and white cabinets. I feel that you will need a neutral back splash because of the blue and red, which will be statement pieces in the room. Maybe a white back splash with a darker grout for some depth. I know everyone is into subway tile, but I love it....it's timeless and you are in an old house with an original brick wall. White subway with grey grout to match the quartz. I don't know if I helped at all but I know you will have a gorgeous kitchen!! Good luck!!

    Jdub4040 thanked Lisa M
  • 8 years ago

    Imo white backsplash, white grout. Subway would work but it does not have to be subway. You have a lot going on already, the backsplash shouldn't be a feature.

    Heres my kitchen which also used original exterior brick (a chimney in my case) that was not in perfect shape. I used a white backsplash, so (imo) it's subtle and neutral but its not the ubiquitous subway tile although that certainly could have worked too.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/pittsburgh-kitchen-mudroom-closet-addition-reveal-dsvw-vd~4948003?n=40



    Jdub4040 thanked DrB477
  • 8 years ago

    Your kitchen, DrB477 is gorgeous!!!

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you all for the help! We are leaning towards white Subway tile with gray or dark grout.

    One more question on countertops... do you like the selection for the perimeter? We were going to do a white quartz, but the counter guy talked us into the carerra quartz.

    Thanks!

  • 8 years ago

    That's a tough one and probably more a personal thing. Since I'm not a big fan of plain white counters, I think I agree with the counter guy. The carerra will bring the movement from the island to the counters. I also think the subway with a light grey grout will pull it all together. It's going to be sharp! Post pics when it's complete, I'd love to see it. Good luck and have fun!!


    Jdub4040 thanked Lisa M