Software
Houzz Logo Print
linda_provencher

Microwave drawer

8 years ago
We are remodeling our kitchen,and I'm interested
in getting a microwave drawer. Looking for pros and cons of installing one,rather then a regular microwave.

Comments (5)

  • 8 years ago

    Following... :)

  • 8 years ago

    Not really that hard to imagine the pros and cons. It all depends on your preference.


    Speaking for myself, our old kitchen always had the microwave on top of the counter. When we renovated the kitchen, we wanted as much off the counter as possible. That also included removing the toaster oven. For us, the next best place was undercounter. The drawer microwaves are surely expensive but not outrageously so. Reliability is a question mark. Otherwise it seems fine performance wise and we love the location of it compared to putting it in the upper cabinets. If we had an oven tower/wall and were free to set the position of the microwave, that might be the only thing better. But our kitchen has no oven tower.

  • 8 years ago

    I agree with the above poster that it depends on your preference as to where you want your microwave. Under the counter - the drawer makes sense as it is very easy to access the food. For me a downside is having to wait for the auto open/close - I don’t think you can just manually pull it open or slide it shut (someone else can clarify). I don’t think they offer the “convection bake” feature as many of the “conventional” microwaves have that functionality. Personally we spent another $1k and bought a speed oven that can perform as a regular oven as well as micro and combo “speed” mode. We are not big microwave users.

  • 8 years ago

    We just put a microwave drawer in and are very happy with it. The auto open/close is fine. You can close it manually if you prefer (much like a drawer with a soft close hinge), Its great having it off the counter and not having to bend down to use like if I had just put a regular microwave in the space. We only use a microwave for defrosting or reheating,

    I have 4 teenage boys who think its great to use!

  • 8 years ago

    It sounds like a great invention, but I don't mind seeing countertop microwaves (mine cost me $60), if one has the counter space.