Software
Houzz Logo Print
ccn9213

Want Powder Room Glam!

8 years ago
Would love your thoughts on what to do with this guest bath. Needing color ideas, wallpaper inspiration (to wallpaper or not to wallpaper-thoughts?), cabinet color, light fixture ideas. I want to make this room a statement, so bold ideas welcome! And YES, that sink has got to go.

Comments (34)

  • 8 years ago

    Will you be replacing the flooring? What style/colors are in the areas outside of the powder room?

    ccn9213 thanked phuninthesun
  • 8 years ago

    I love wall paper in a small powder room. I would stick with geometric designs. And see if you can incorporate a small crystal chandelier, that's the best way to bring in some glam. Obviously darker colors are going to make it more dramatic.

    ccn9213 thanked cpaul1
  • 8 years ago

    can you replace the floor? that way you could do some marble, dark walls, a paper or a wainscot. examples

    ccn9213 thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago
    Wallpaper! And go bold!
    ccn9213 thanked carroki
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Depending on your budget, I would suggest a floating sink and cabinet with a drawer that fits around the pipe for storage. A tall framed mirror in a matching metal that you choose for your sink fixtures, gold is very elegant. Large floor tile and wallpaper on the walls.

    ccn9213 thanked KCR Interiors LLC
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Consider a wallpaper for the walls.

    ccn9213 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 8 years ago
    I also vote for wallpaper it is an easy and not to expensive way to add a lot of drama to a small room. However, it looks like you have texture on your walls this will need to be addressed as part of the wall paper instillation.
    ccn9213 thanked Diane
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I love the idea of wallpaper and you could really glam it up with a beautiful paper, but it looks like you have an orange peel texture on your walls, so I don’t think you can use just any old paper. You would have to choose something appropriate that would work with the textured walls.

    ccn9213 thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Houzz has [60,103 powder room photos[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/powder-room-ideas-phbr0-bp~t_713). Here are two:



    Save your favorites in an ideabook.

    ccn9213 thanked groveraxle
  • 8 years ago

    ccn9213. are you still there? Will you be replacing floors and what do surrounding areas look like (style/colors)?

    ccn9213 thanked phuninthesun
  • 8 years ago
    i dont think bathrooms should have wallpaper. absolutely not.
    moisture and germs being thrown around the air and whatnot. and paper that cant be bleached?

    save the wallpaper for a more formal space

    and its kind of tacky IMHO. considering a bathroom is where you do your business, i just dont see why people think a nice coat of paint wont do so much of a difference
    ccn9213 thanked DH
  • 8 years ago

    I believe it is a powder room. No bath/shower to add moisture.

    ccn9213 thanked phuninthesun
  • 8 years ago
    After seeing all these great ideas, I want a glam powder room too!
    ccn9213 thanked cdee18
  • 8 years ago

    Just be aware that if "the sink has to go," then you're looking at a new cabinet, as vessel sinks use a lower style of vanity and counter. I think this bath is a kind of glam -- might just go for more dramatic paint color, fancier light, and get some art on that right wall...

    ccn9213 thanked acm
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The powder room is the perfect space to add a bold touch to your home. Wallpaper if in your budget and use your favorite color that you have been afraid to use before. Have fun with it.

    ccn9213 thanked Jodie White Designs
  • 8 years ago

    These are all fabulous ideas and I appreciate every one of you.

    I am torn between wallpaper and just painting over with an amazing color. The textured wallpapers are nice and I wouldn't have to really get orange peel off of wall. Prefer to keep existing floor for now (light gray tiles). Also, new granite would be nice along with sink-but would a "normal" rectangular sink not work in the existing cabinetry? Thinking of quartz or a black color with even gold specks. Would like suggestions.

    Also, concerning lighting, 2 lights to side of mirror or one hanging above in center?

    The majority of the home is neutral, with the dining just around the bend that is currently in process of becoming glam as well (used hot pink for back of china cabinet with purple Versace china) and neutral leopard rug. I really can go any direction.


  • 8 years ago

    BTW - I removed a green onyx vessel sink. It makes a great outdoor planter.

    ccn9213 thanked suzyq53
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Okay sounds fun,and I actually was thinking pink or purple if you were open.... which sounds like you are. Love your mirror using the gold touch of glam and the shape. The top right wallpaper could go on ceiling or find something you love to bring your touch and design to the space. The other wallpapers are just inspirations and ideas for color and texture. How tall are your ceilings?

    ccn9213 thanked Jodie White Designs
  • PRO
    ccn9213 thanked Jodie White Designs
  • 8 years ago
    Suzyq53.....great idea on the reuse of vessel sink as planter! I am removing a copper vessel sink and now I know how to repurpose!
    ccn9213 thanked plf12652
  • 8 years ago
    If you have textured walls and you want to use wallpaper just use a wallpaper liner. I used it when I wallpapered over paneling. You would never know the paneling was underneath.
    ccn9213 thanked auburnsaba
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    In answer to your question “can’t we just put different sink on current vanity?” Answer is maybe. When vessel sinks are used, they usually require shorter height vanities so you can easily use sink. Most countertops in powder rooms are around 30-33” High. How tall from the floor to top of granite is your vanity? If it is 30-33” High now, if you select a sink carefully, it might work with your existing cabinet. But you will incur costs for modifying the top of current cabinet to accommodate the sink you want. So, how high is the vanity?
    ccn9213 thanked Flo Mangan
  • 8 years ago
    Go to the wallpaper shop and spend some time looking through the books. I could see this powder room as a surprise behind the closed door (and a closed toilet), the surprise being one or more walls of beautiful, colorful wallpaper. Look at Houzz for photos of "wallpapered powder rooms" to give you some ideas.
    ccn9213 thanked felizlady
  • 8 years ago
    One more thing, a powder room should have an exhaust fan to allow guests a pleasant experience...you know what I mean.
    ccn9213 thanked felizlady
  • 8 years ago
    Google some 3d wall panels. you won't have to worry about wall paper and the texture of your walls. super modern drama.
    ccn9213 thanked Stacy Oakey
  • 8 years ago
    yes theres no shower, but there is a toilet and a sink. even dirtier than a tub. im just saying, if an accident happens, id want to bleach the ground, baseboard etc, and be able to clean the wallpaper with sanitizing materials

    im even more surprised pros advocating wallpaper moreso than paint just because its popular or whatever

    its just more sanitary to leave powder rooms, bathrooms etc with no wallpaper....or atleast ONLY on the top half

    at the very least stencil if you want "bold" designs but i dont really care what you or anyone does with their house or what pros think...just stating things to keep in mind
    ccn9213 thanked DH
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    We have some great powder room ideas for you from our designs. Maybe one of them will inspire you?




    ccn9213 thanked MARGARITA BRAVO
  • 8 years ago

    Flo, the floor to top of granite is right at 35 1/4". What are my options now? Seems high...

    The 3D wall panels are something I never thought of as well at the wallpaper liner. Concerned that the glue that is required for hanging panels will cause more of a mess in the long run when it's time to reno again, as opposed to removing wallpaper? Have you had experience with these?

    Thank you all for your time. I will take a trip to a wallpapering company/ paint store and sort through things. I'm really loving the extra large prints and bold colors.

  • 8 years ago

    The wallpaper liner I used is sort of like felt and removes more easily than the wallpaper itself.

    ccn9213 thanked auburnsaba
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Your vanity seems fairly high. Must be hard to use that vessel sink. You can use the vanity but probably need some advice on whether you can get someone to cut existing granite to accommodate your new sink. That is where I would start. It might be cheaper to get new vanity with pre-cut sink hole and undermount sink. What style sink are you considering?
    ccn9213 thanked Flo Mangan
  • ccn9213 thanked Tatjana Grebenjuk ( Baa)
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Auburn, yes, I will look into this for sure! Thank you.

    Flo, yes, it's interesting to use and I'm above avg at 5'7"! Since I don't really love the cabinets anyway, may look into new base with cut out. Not sure of sink options but a pretty standard one (shallow, rectangular), unless there's something out there that's inspiring. Could possibly do a wall mounted sink, or I think they're called integrated sinks?

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    There are loads of options for sinks, faucets and vanities. I would make all selections first because they do have to coordinate well for plumbing, space considerations and function as well as style.
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations