Software
Houzz Logo Print
mhensonnv

Breakfast Bar to Flat Granite Counter, Quartzite on others

8 years ago

We are going to flatten the breakfast bar and widen the counter. The penninsula is stand alone and does not come in contact with the other counters.


I would like to put a light colored granite with a chiseled edge. The rest of the counters I would like to put a plain white quartzite with square edge.

This is what it looks like now.

We want to cut off the breakfast bar and make counter wider and open up the wall for more light.

Fantasy Brown granite with veins.


Q1. Is my assumption correct that because of the angles we have that granite with veining would not be good for the penninsula.

Q2. And will it be possible to do the whole penninsula with one slab?

They did here because the angled area is much smaller.

Comments (15)

  • 8 years ago

    Q3. Could I put a piece of the quartzite I use on the other counters as a backsplash for that little wall in the previous picture with the cutout in the wall?

    Not sure what I would do for a backsplash for the stove area.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    "They did here because the angled area is much smaller."


    They did no such thing. No slab is that big. There is a seam somewhere; probably left of the sink just before the angle.

  • 8 years ago
    That cut out where the upper cabs were looks very awkward to me, like a pass through that was not properly planned. I personally would not want two different counters unless the kitchen was freakishly large. For the backsplash, I would use the same material as the counter, and take it up the wall to the uppers and all the way up to the cooktop hood.
  • 8 years ago

    "They did here because the angled area is much smaller." Yes there is a seam. I still wonder if its possible to do the penninsula with one slab.

  • 8 years ago

    Don’t waste money locking that layout in 7K of stone. If you are going to remodel, then actually DO something and fix it. With new cabinets.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I agree this is a waste of money at this time , the kitchen need some work first from what I see and IMO this is really not an island and lipstick on a pig is still just that. A chisled edge counter belongs on a huge island in a huge kitchen neither one of which seems to be the case here. New counters and same layout only works if the layout is waht you totally love other than that save the money for a proper rework of the space starting with removal of a corner sink and a way to eliminate that weird wall all together.

  • 8 years ago

    I have asked specific questions which no one has answered.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Cabinets are not going, I chose them. We are getting more cabinets, that's why we need new countertops; penninsula not changing; sink not moving; the chiseled edge was included in price; I've seen two different countertops in Houzz in small kitchens. The only thing I might change is the pass-through to a complete arch so we don't have to have that pony wall. I didn't think the penninsula could be done in a single piece, just wondering if one slab would work for the whole thing.

  • 8 years ago

    The granite is beautiful. I think it will be a huge improvement. And the white quartz will probably look fine. You want to see the quartz sample next to the granite to make sure the whites in each blend well.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    At least move the DW so that loading and unloading is easier. That's a rookie KD design mistake to place it directly next to the sink base. More drawer bases are needed too. Be sure to account for the required electrical outlets on the peninsula in your plan. Good luck!

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    1. It depends on the slab and the fabricator. Ours will show you how the counters will be laid out to get the flow right. It helps if you get slabs that flow in the same way.

    2. No. A slab of granite (at leas in my neck of the woods) typically runs about 48 x 110".

    Don't use two colors and don't pay the high price for quartz. The cabinets are seriously too old to last and keep looking decent for more than about 5 years. Then you've got expensive quartz on old cabinets.

    Don't put a chiseled edge on a kitchen top. The edge isn't sealed and anything that drips down it can stain it, especially at the sink. You've seen a lot of fancy stuff on Houzz and Pinterest and want to put it all in your kitchen. It won't work.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    "Q1. Is my assumption correct that because of the angles we have that granite with veining would not be good for the penninsula."


    Granite with veining is fine. You need a fabricator with Slabsmith so he can show you your tops before anything is cut.


    "Q2. And will it be possible to do the whole penninsula with one slab?"

    Yes.

  • 8 years ago

    Stainless back splash for the stove area.

  • 8 years ago
    I have an L shaped island and was very concerned because the granite I had chosen had veining and it couldn't be done with one slab. So I chose granite for the perimeter counters and went with a Quartzite slab for the island. Perfect choice....