Software
Houzz Logo Print
jcnash

Which style of home would you choose?

8 years ago
We have decided to ditch the idea of a total renovation on our farmhouse and build a new home on 4 acres behind it, in rural North Carolina. We want to build a one-story with classic appeal, and these are the homes we keep going back to.....my question is, are they too frau-frau for a home on an old farm? Do you think they would be out of place? Thanks for your opinions! I've learned so much from this forum!

Comments (19)

  • 8 years ago

    I think the first photo is beautiful!

  • 8 years ago
    Both are beautiful
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Have you considered a Modern Farmhouse? (Sarcasm may be one of the highest forms of humor)...

  • 8 years ago

    Do you mean hausfrau or frou-frou? In either case, I'm confused!

  • 8 years ago

    Yes we have! If I could find a single story plan that we liked (possibly with an unfinished bonus/loft where the dormer/ dormers would be) that would be great. Or with dormers open below for more natural light. Most of the plans I see are a full 2-story, or the footprint seems very complicated. Is it true that the simpler the footprint, the more cost effective the build is? I'd love to see your example, if you have one in mind.

  • 8 years ago

    beckysharp...I guess I am referring to the home style being to "fancy" for the surroundings. The new home will be situated behind an old farmhouse, big red barn and several out- buildings. It will be nestled in the woods. The homes we like are low country style?? They seem somewhat simple, but with a little fancy.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I love the first example house, and I think the basic ambiance would work.

    The second one: that roof is wearing a high top toupee!! No. I would not want that roof anywhere.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you Virgil...well said. It does make sense, and is all worth consideration and thought. I appreciate your insight.

  • 8 years ago

    The second example looks odd---too much roof mass. The first example is more standard.

    In my opinion, no new construction is going to fit the look of old structures, simply because the building materials are new. The designs can be exactly the same, but the result is very new next to very old.

    Meaning, if you want continuity, do the architect idea and come up with a design that fits the location along with the local styles.

  • 8 years ago

    I guess I am referring to the home style being to "fancy" for the surroundings. The new home will be situated behind an old farmhouse, big red barn and several out- buildings. It will be nestled in the woods. The homes we like are low country style??

    jc, if low country style is the local vernacular -- defined as "folk building growing in response to actual needs, fitted into the environment" -- it's definitely not too fancy for its surroundings. In fact, vernacular = local, based on local climate, local building materials (so it's more sustainable), etc. I'm in Canada and don't know the region well; when I think of low country, I tend to think of South Carolina rather than North Carolina.

    I Googled and found these from the UNC-Charlotte, which are fascinating and might be helpful in your search,

    https://ui.uncc.edu/story/vernacular-architecture

    http://ui.uncc.edu/gallery/vernacular-architecture-uwharries

    An updated version of the Grissom house in Ophir mentioned/shown in the articles above, with a similar red roof (like the first house you posted) to echo the red barn, would be lovely --

    Front of the house,

    Rear of the house,

    Also, if I were doing this project, I would want the new house to relate to the old farmhouse in style.


  • 8 years ago
    beckysharp..I agree with your point about the relationship between old and new. This will be an interesting journey! This is an old farm. With its age, and worn out buildings... it will be a challenge to bring it all together properly!
  • 8 years ago

    jc, definitely an interesting journey and a challenge! Are you thinking of using an architect (not a draftsperson) to help you on this fascinating family journey, and to help take the best advantage of such a lovely and special site?

  • 8 years ago

    Yes, we will definitely be using an architect (not a draftsperson). That is probably one of the most important things I have gleaned from using Houzz as a resource. Use a professional architect and KD!

  • 8 years ago

    jcnash, then you're well on your way to getting something that will work well for you and your farm.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The second house the OP posted is very much like my great-grandfather’s house in Alabama (but no dormer). Typically, I think those houses were raised well off the ground, had very high ceilings, large rooms, windows that went from almost the ceiling to almost the floor, and a very wide hall that bisected the house front to back and was divided into a “front hall” and a “back hall”. Both “halls” were rooms in themselves and were furnished as such.

  • 8 years ago

    jc, since you're working with an architect, I would mention your interest in low country architecture, but then I would let the process proceed as organically as possible, as Virgil details. I would bring the architect out to see your place, walk the land, get inspired, and do his or her thing : ) .

  • 8 years ago

    I've seen both styles in older homes here in upstate SC.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you all for your comments and feedback. I appreciate the references and opinions you've all pointed out. They are all valid points, and have helped me realize a better direction to proceed in the beginnings of this process!