Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stamseq

Granite on a moveable Island?

stamseq
6 years ago

I am really needing some information and thoughts on a kitchen dilemma,

I am at the point where I am selecting granite for my kitchen redo. I had in the plans a mobile island which is approximately 3 feet by 5 feet, cabinet height, very sturdy and substantial. It is essentially base kitchen cabinets made into an island. When the granite company saw that the island was moveable, they refused to do the install on the island saying it is too much of a liability because of the weight of the granite. I believe tipping over is their concern, although maybe there is something I am not thinking of. They said the weight of the granite is approximately 300 pounds.

Does anyone have experience with granite on a moveable island?

This island will not being moved often, so I am willing to accept the hefty weight when I move it. The flooring is also able to handle the weight.

Thank you everyone for their helpful thoughts.

Comments (32)

• GreenDesigns
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

They are 100% correct. It's a tip hazard. I would never have designed it to be mobile. It needs to be permanently fastened, with electrical. It's a big personal liability to you as well.

stamseq thanked GreenDesigns
  • PRO
    Affordable Quality Kitchens & Stone
    6 years ago

It is not a good idea. I have also talked customers out of doing this. The island becomes top heavy with uneven weight distribution so if you lean on the island overhang there is a high risk of it flipping over. The risk is to great. NOT A GOOD IDEA!

stamseq thanked Affordable Quality Kitchens & Stone
  • stamseq
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I hadn't thought of the scenario of leaning on the overhang and the uneven weight distribution that would cause. Excellent point.

Thank you!

• stamseq
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My Plan B is to use solid walnut which would be about 2 inches thick to complete the design. Would this eliminate/reduce the safety hazard?

• live_wire_oak
    6 years ago

The island needs to be permanently fixed to the floor. Ranges come with anti tip brackets. Dressers do too. IKEA recalled millions of items to retrofit them with anti tip mechanisms.

Run the electrical and attach it to the floor as should have been planned from the beginning.

• User
    6 years ago

Who designed this safety hazard?

• stamseq
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Please let's keep this conversation constructive, professional and enlightening.

• User
    6 years ago

The liability rests with the poor quality design. Self design doesn’t prevent someone from suing you when it breaks their foot. It only increases your liability.

This is why you need a Kitchen Designer.

• Claude S
    6 years ago

Safety first of course but it would be great to get opinions from a homeowner who has done this, not just a pro.

• stamseq
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ms. Sophie,

I am the antithesis of recklessness which is the reason I sought information from people who guide me the right direction and allow me to make a safe decision. Merely wanting to know "who" designed this is counterproductive and simply not appropriate for a professional forum.

• User
    6 years ago

Defensiveness over a boneheaded amateur mistake gets you no where. Fix the problem. This is what Pros do for a living, and it’s why we hate to see so many preventable mistakes.

Check to make sure that the island has the correct clearances for traffic, and then fasten it to the floor. Add the needed electrical. And then put your stone on it.

• PRO
    Chandler Design-Build
    6 years ago

Walnut seems like a great alternative to me. When we have done islands intended to be occasionally moved. We generally set them over a floor receptacle with a molded plug in the bottom of the island so they can have electricity but pull the wire up into the base when it is being moved.

• PRO
    Chandler Design-Build
    6 years ago

Also you only need two wheels (and two legs) since you would move it like a wheelbarrow lifting from the leg side to roll it on the wheels. Hope this helps.

Michael

• PRO
    Chandler Design-Build
    6 years ago

Also (again) you don't want to use casters. Rigid wheels are more stable.

• stamseq
    Original Author
    6 years ago

These suggestions are incredibly helpful and greatly appreciated. I can see implementing these. I thought granite would be great, as it would give the kitchen a more cohesive look, but gorgeous black walnut puts in a great touch as well. Thank you for the differentiation between casters and wheels.

• GreenDesigns
    6 years ago

The size itself isn't workable for a movable island. Walnut is not significantly lighter than stone. And it doesn't change the fact of leverage that makes it dangerous. No overhang at all will work here without permanently fastening the island down.

The reason that the NEC requires electrical in islands is that they want to avoid the preventable scenario of stringing extension cords back to an outlet across an aisle way. That is dangerous. Snagging the extension cord and pulling down a hot crockpot full of chili onto someone has happened.

Fastening the island down is about SAFETY. Requiring electrical is about SAFETY. Ignoring safety does introduce liability concerns. Your insurance company could decline to cover any accidents because of the deliberate ignoring of the building requirements. You really should check with your homeowners insurance here.

• GreenDesigns
    6 years ago

It is required by the NEC. Doing something deliberately non code compliant? For sure call your insurance company.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

You can’t fix stupid and IMO 1/2 the codes are trying to do just that. As for your island it is way too big to be moveable if it can’t stay where it is its too big to be there . What would you want to move 15 sq ft of counter to anywhere else.I have 2 30” x 24” cabinets on casters beside my range because it sits in front of a stone wall that needs cleaning from time to time. They have butcher block counters and even in that size are a pain to move around and once I had the 2 large drawers open at the same time and the thing tipped.I also use them for prep space when I hace a big catering job so that extra help can move them out of the way to another space I just make sure the helpers know not to open 2 drawers at the same time.

• live_wire_oak
    6 years ago

That's a 24"x36" island with no overhang. And wheels. Wheels make a difference because when someone leans against it, it will roll, not topple.

• stamseq
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jean1

Thank you,

That is SO close to what I was envisioning. Yours is beautiful, too.

I wanted the function (cutting, baking, buffet use, etc. ), but wanted to roll it next to a large stone wall, I have, when not in use. Thank you for this useful photo and info.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago

We have a 3x5 theoretically moveable island, which was converted from a marble topped dining table. The marble is 2cm thick--I don't know how much it weighs. It is stable, with legs on each corner, aprons supporting the sides, a platform base and added cabinet, and one inch, or so, overhangs. It also has iron swing-out seats on the short sides. I would not want to move it, because it is heavy--in fact, it hasn't been moved since being put in place 7 years ago. Green Designs is correct!

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    6 years ago

Granite is a heavy stone and I think, even if you go through with your idea, you won't be able to move it, nor you would want to. If you really want to have a movable island, make it smaller at least.

• H K
    5 years ago
    How about adding granite to this island? Do I need to remove the butcher block? Is it safe to add granite? No overhang desired.
  • H K
    5 years ago
    If no overhang, it it safe to add the granite?
  • blubird
    5 years ago

My son and DIL have that island. I don’t think it's sturdy enough to put several hundred pounds of granite on it.

• H K
    5 years ago

Thanks.

• sscotto13
    5 years ago
    We have a granite topped island on casters in our vacation rental. The size is approx 4 x 3, we lived there for nine years with no issues although we rarely moved it.
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

I agree with blubird. The legs on the island I mentioned above are almost 3" square and the platform on the bottom is the full length and width of the top, which helps stabilize the legs.

sandscotto, the island you show has solid panels to help carry the weight of the stone to the floor, so not the same as a table (m/l) with flimsy legs.

• Leonid Fayn
    4 years ago

Would it be a good idea to use a counter height table with a marble top? I'm planning to buy one for my kitchen remodel to double as a prep space and breakfast place. Should I be concerned about a tip-over hazard?

• HU-470364750
    last year

I am thinking of an island with a 4x6 granite top i will only ever need to move it if we needed to get a new fridge or stove into kitchen Any suggestions

• HU-470364750
    last year

Verbo thats right cant fix stupid