Software
Houzz Logo Print
nolarn

Paint Colors

13 years ago
I am trying to decide on outdoor paint colors to update our house. I was thinking of painting the front door either a navy or brighter blue like Refuge by Sherwin Williams. Unsure of what color to paint the shutters and trim/garage. Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!

Comments (12)

  • 13 years ago
    I love your house the way it is!! I can't really see what your front door looks like but I wouldn't paint it dark. It already looks like it's in a dark place so definitely do something bright - light turquoise maybe? The garage door colour is great the way it is. You could consider painting the shutters - maybe in a darker colour that you pull out of the brick? Ben Moore's "Willow" comes to mind. A taller black or very dark pot by the front door and larger light fixtures in black or oil rubbed bronze would be nice as well.
  • 13 years ago
    I, too, like the colors your have. It looks like your front door is wood with an oval glass section. If so, I think it would not look good in a color. The only change I can see making is to paint the shutters dark gray, dark brown or black, but really I like it as is.
  • 13 years ago
    I would replace the shutters to look more like working shutters that would meet in the middle if closed. On second though, It may be better to remove them completely then update your entry lights, replacing them with much larger square shaped lanterns then painting your front door a lighter color which would draw the attention away from the windows and more toward the front door. The front door should be illuminated somehow as it's recessed and back in the shadows. Paint the garage door a color more in keeping with the middle brick tone.
  • 13 years ago
    If you are looking to update your house- a new front door sans the oval glass should be at the top of the list. Then give it a pop of color.
  • 13 years ago
    We do have a wood door with an oval glass section. We were considering painting it because the door looks weathered but its nothing that re-staining wouldn't fix. I appreciate that you all like it! I just wanted to update it by either updating the shutters because it feels a bit blah to me. Thanks so much for your opinions!
  • 13 years ago
    I find your house to be like so many in our area...beige. A few years ago I decided to move from the beige, gold, brown trims all the other homes had and went with two shades of turquoise. I don't say that's the colour you might want but I'm suggesting that you think upside the usual colour box.
  • 13 years ago
    nolarn- It is the oval glass that makes it look dated, staining it will only make it look like a well- kept outdated door.
  • 13 years ago
    We replaced our windows for white ones as well just didn't have an updated picture.
  • 13 years ago
    The house is great just as it is. The oval door, not so much. But I don't like them ever, on anyone's home, so it may be my problem not yours!
  • 13 years ago
    I am on Sissy's team. Replace the door with a wood door that has three small square windows at the top of it, mirroring the garage door windows and paint the door the same colour as the shutters and garage door (beige).
    Do some larger bronze light fixtures. I would soften that hard corner of the side walk with plantings. To make it more inviting. I would add hedging on both sides of you property to add dimension. I dont lie the pots - sorry.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The important data to choice the correct color is the orientation of you door.
    You door seems missing, that is not the best idea from feng shui perspective. Take a compass and from i side you home check the orientation and let me know...